Menu

Minimally Invasive Education

Hello, I'm listening to Radio National in Australia which is broadcasting a TED Radio Hour on "How much Children can teach themselves". It is quite mindblowing and I'm someone who deliberately delays teaching a lot of content to give my dd a chance to discover and learn for herself first.

In 1999 a Prof in India put computers, in 'a hole in the wall' in slums across India, with no back up, no programming help and the computers only 'knew' English, which the kids had to teach themselves first.

How's this for a term..."Minimally Invasive Education".

http://www.npr.org/p...57&d=05-03-2013

I listened to it last week. It really is fascinating.

It doesn't seem to be encouraging delayed education, but rather presenting children with access to information above what is generally believed to be their "level," and allowing them to explore. It is worth listening to.

I listened to it last week. It really is fascinating.

It doesn't seem to be encouraging delayed education, but rather presenting children with access to information above what is generally believed to be their "level," and allowing them to explore. It is worth listening to.

Sorry, I was unclear, I don't try to delay education, I'm learning to delay explicit tutoring.

What these kids in India were/are able to learn and work out together is truly phenomenal.