Menu

She (mostly) blew the top off the test. What now?

Backstory:

Dd9 was teaching herself to read around her fourth birthday. I got sort of excited, read a lot about how early readers even out around 4th grade, and tried to calm down. I juggled her grade number to not show how early she began school or what level she's actually working at in order to not raise too many eyebrows amongst the non-homeschoolers in our extended family. I've known for awhile that she's advanced in language arts, but I've tried to just keep up with her there and challenge her in math where she's not as strong. She's working at least a year ahead of her grade (which is itself a year ahead of where she'd be in public school due to age cut-offs) in all subjects. She tested out of Spelling Power (which is supposed to go through 12th grade) at the beginning of this year. She reads stuff like the Hobbit fast enough that if I want her to really think about it, I have to ration it to a few chapters a week. But dh and I both dealt with some fall-out of being "bright," "advanced," or "gifted" when we were growing up, and I've wanted to shelter her from as much of that as I can, so I've not focused on it.

She's also somewhat emotionally immature and a little awkward socially, feeling like there's no one around who really "gets" her. (So much for the sheltering, right?)

This year we decided give her a standardized test as a way of preparing her to take them later on. (And also, to satisfy my suppressed curiosity as to exactly where she is.) I gave her the ITBS for 4th grade (the grade that I identify her as being in.) She blew the top off in almost every subject except math, where she was at the top end of average.

Now, I know that the ITBS has limitations and doesn't really define exactly where she is - if such a thing is actually important. But I feel I can no longer deny that she is "gifted" to some degree and that I need to challenge her more in her areas of giftedness. She also badly needs a group of kids to whom she can relate - who understand her large vocabulary and lively (sometimes silly) sense of verbal humor. So, what do I do next?

I also have a completely different concern. She self-identifies as smart and (unfortunately in my view) bases a lot of her worth on that identity. I've tried to downplay how far ahead of her peers her school-work is so that she doesn't become arrogant about her abilities compared to theirs. (For instance, I haven't gone over her test results with her, just told her that she scored well above average in language arts, and at the top end of average in math.) She's figuring things out by now (as is to be expected), and I don't want to have her doubting whether or not I value her intelligence. But how do you help a gifted kid have a healthy self-esteem that's based on intrinsic worth instead of abilities?

Awaiting your wisdom (please serve it gently),

Mama Anna

My suggestion-she already knows she's different, and needs the validation that it's not something to hide-or to be arrogant about. Talent search testing and online gifted classes and contests have all helped my DD-it's given her opportunities to be with other kids who are at her level and where she's not always the best, given her people to talk to and with, and just, given her awareness that, no, she's not "normal"-but that she's "not normal" in a way that is good.

Since she maxed out language, the easiest thing you can do now is the DORA online-it's not "official", but it's adaptive and goes through 12th grade, and would give you an idea where she might benefit from acceleration. Next year, you can apply using the ITBS scores to one of the talent searches, and have her take the EXPLORE through that-it's an 8th grade test. You may find that there's a local program that uses talent search, if you're at all near a major university.

Since she's advanced in language, you might want to check out literature through either Athena's Academy or Online G3-the classes aren't cheap, but the discussion is well worth it. Athena's uses Jr. Great books plus novel study, G3 uses Lightning lit. My DD has benefited from these even though she's above the reading level of the class she's taking, because she's reading engaging, yet age-appropriate selection and getting to discuss them with other kids who are at the same level she is. That won't help before fall-but it's worth considering.

For summer, I'd also look at summer camps that are likely to attract smart kids. For example, a writing or poetry camp doesn't have to be labeled "gifted" to mostly get kids who are advanced in language. Music and art camps also tend to attract bright kids-I teach at a piano camp each summer, and I swear ALL the kids are on Ruf's levels somewhere. There ends up being a lot of other conversation about non-music related topics at such camps. If she likes tech, things like Camp Invention or Lego Robotics camps can help find some other bright kids, and to create some true competition.

We also, in the last year, started hosting groups through our homeschool group. This has been hit and miss, more because of parents than because of kids (parents have this tendency to commit up front, but then drop out as soon as something new comes along-and not everyone checks the calendar before they plan another class or a field trip), but when it's worked, it's been wonderful and has also helped DD make some friends who have common interests and intensities locally.

Check online. Duke TIPS, Northwestern NUMATS, Johns Hopkins CTY, University of Iowa BESTS, Carnegie-Mellon C-MITES, and others. Each offer out of level testing and other programs, including online or live classes, and usually other programs also accept the testing. If she has top LA scores on the ITBS, she'll qualify-all it takes is scores in one area over the 95th% nationally. If Davidson (which requires being in the 99+%) is a possibility, I'd suggest not going through CTY because the test they use at 4th grade isn't accepted by them, while the EXPLORE (which most of the others use) is.

The nice thing about talent search is that, except for JHU, it doesn't matter which program you test through. Once you get the score, you can mail them a copy of the scores and use them for whatever classes are a good fit, even if it isn't your "home" program.

Check online. Duke TIPS, Northwestern NUMATS, Johns Hopkins CTY, University of Iowa BESTS, Carnegie-Mellon C-MITES, and others. Each offer out of level testing and other programs, including online or live classes, and usually other programs also accept the testing. If she has top LA scores on the ITBS, she'll qualify-all it takes is scores in one area over the 95th% nationally. If Davidson (which requires being in the 99+%) is a possibility, I'd suggest not going through CTY because the test they use at 4th grade isn't accepted by them, while the EXPLORE (which most of the others use) is.

The nice thing about talent search is that, except for JHU, it doesn't matter which program you test through. Once you get the score, you can mail them a copy of the scores and use them for whatever classes are a good fit, even if it isn't your "home" program.

I agree with everyone else that when a kid blows the top off the test, then they are in the wrong end of the pool, and need further stimulation through meeting other similar kids and finding greater challenges. As a kid I didn't get that and suffered for years the double whammy of thinking I was unique, and also always being bored.

When I got to college with all those bright and well educated kids, it no longer mattered a bit that in 8th grade the graph of my Iowa Basic Skills test was a straight line off the top of the chart. I felt hopelessly behind almost everyone else in a top college. That's why we sent our kids to TIP in summers, and sacrificed financially to put them in the best (private) school we could find in winters. That was not a perfect solution, since even the standards of the top private school were well below their potential in their strongest areas. TIP however did expose them to real challenges and to other kids of equal and greater abilities.

Good Luck!

Thank you all for your orientation and advice! She hit the wall (99) in 9 different tests/sub-tests, so I think Davidson would be the best option to pursue if we can do it from a distance. Now I need to figure out a way of trying to get her into an Explore test. (Of course, that's probably the simplest part of the fun coming . . . :) ) -Mama Anna

Now I need to figure out a way of trying to get her into an Explore test. (Of course, that's probably the simplest part of the fun coming . . . :) ) -Mama Anna

Duke TiP. You don't need to mail in scores to participate - just sign up.

Northwestern NUMATS. Also, no need to submit scores.

Explore info from ACT. If you check immediately, you may be able to see locations that give the test. They take the sites down shortly and start reposting for next year towards the end of summer. I think registration starts in August. The test is given in January or February.

I told my son he was going to take the Explore to see how he did on a majorly out-of-level test and in a more formal setting than I could do at home. I gave him the CAT on level and out of level in 1st and 2nd grades and the ITBS in 3rd grade on level. He took the Explore in 4th grade and again in 5th grade. You do need the child's agreement since it is 3 hours on a Saturday. The wait for the scores is rough too.

You can also read more on the Davidson site and their forums.

BESTS (http://www2.education.uiowa.edu/belinblank/Students/BESTS/Parents.aspx) is pretty easy to work with (People are so nice in Iowa)-you might be able to get a packet mailed to someone to proctor the test for you. Or, come over the border and do a mini-vacation to TN. TN is one of the states covered by Duke TIPS as their regional program, while I think VA falls under JHU CTY, which doesn't give the EXPLORE.

I also have a completely different concern. She self-identifies as smart and (unfortunately in my view) bases a lot of her worth on that identity. I've tried to downplay how far ahead of her peers her school-work is so that she doesn't become arrogant about her abilities compared to theirs. (For instance, I haven't gone over her test results with her, just told her that she scored well above average in language arts, and at the top end of average in math.) She's figuring things out by now (as is to be expected), and I don't want to have her doubting whether or not I value her intelligence. But how do you help a gifted kid have a healthy self-esteem that's based on intrinsic worth instead of abilities?

Awaiting your wisdom (please serve it gently),

Mama Anna

I teach my kids that everyone is good at something and that everyone is different. I've pointed out things like a 5 year old who could tie his shoe effortlessly or a peer that could run like the wind. We watched a video of a talented 11 year old singer. We talk and talk about people being who they were made to be. My kids are very different and have different academic strengths so they can see in day to day life how some things come easier and some things don't. I've had them write down lists of what they like about each other and that has helped them appreciate their strengths and accept that others are better at some things too. I don't really downplay my children's skills. I share some test scores and talk about the levels they are doing and what they would likely do if they went to a public school classroom. At that same time I make sure to point out that other people have strengths and it is okay to be yourself and okay for that person to be himself. Every life is valuable and precious.

HTH

The talent searches tend to state their area.

However, for most of them, you don't HAVE to be in the area.

My son has participated in Johns Hopkins CTY (and took one of their online classes), Northwestern NUMATS, and now Duke TiP (we're in that area). We'll need to re-qualify him in a year or two (have to use SAT or ACT for 7th grade onward). I want to keep the online courses as options for high school. They are pretty pricey though :(