Menu

Science like SOTW

I am looking for a science book just to read to the boys to take us from now will Aug when we start next school year and use

SonLight Science Level A: http://www.sonlight.com/ASG.html Biology, Botany, and Physics.

I don't really want to "do Science" we have some books we pull things out of for fun

I was looking for a science version of SOTW -- something we could just read though that would give him some "science introductions"

suggesting or am i way out there?

I have an old (circa 1987) PS science textbook (Silver, Burdett & Ginn) that would work as a read-aloud type (that's how I used it, but mine were such science whizzes already that it was neary all review for them). Book says it's leveled for 1st to 6th... but personally I feel that it is Kindie/1st grade level if the "teacher" reads it out loud (the reading level is maybe 2nd & 3rd if they were doing it on their own, but most 3rd graders would have picked up more science along the way already just by their parents watching interesting documentaries on discovery channel and would be bored wit hthe content like mine were.)

Anyway, I'd happily give you that one for FREE if you want to give it a try to fill the space between May and Aug, then you could save your $ and buy what you really want to use for fall. I think I paid about 50 cents for it at a used library book sale, have only hung onto it because I thought I might use it for Anna's science lessons in pre-k and k (or not, I don't know yet.)

This has come up many times here and in my opinion, there isn't a science like SOTW, but I wish there was. To me, SOTW's hallmarks are a central, well - written, narrative text along with a flexible guide with activities and additional resources. IMHO, there isn't anything quite like that for science, in part because I haven't found the writing in any science text on par and that flexible element isn't there for most curricula either.

I think the best thing you can do is to commit to reading good books.

I have an old (circa 1987) PS science textbook (Silver, Burdett & Ginn) that would work as a read-aloud type (that's how I used it, but mine were such science whizzes already that it was neary all review for them). Book says it's leveled for 1st to 6th... but personally I feel that it is Kindie/1st grade level if the "teacher" reads it out loud (the reading level is maybe 2nd & 3rd if they were doing it on their own, but most 3rd graders would have picked up more science along the way already just by their parents watching interesting documentaries on discovery channel and would be bored wit hthe content like mine were.)

Anyway, I'd happily give you that one for FREE if you want to give it a try to fill the space between May and Aug, then you could save your $ and buy what you really want to use for fall. I think I paid about 50 cents for it at a used library book sale, have only hung onto it because I thought I might use it for Anna's science lessons in pre-k and k (or not, I don't know yet.)

SURE

when you get a chance just send it media mail. I will PM you my mailing address, again, on FB

Sure, no problem. I will pop it in the mail Wed or Thurs. depending on how the week shapes up (wed might be an early release and that doesn't work so good for grocery shopping day when I have to haul 3 kids AND the groceries...my car is getting too small.)

Yeah it's that overview of everything. Dinos, Endangered Species, Plants, Animals, weather, planets/solar system, electricity, physics (I think there are 9 or 10 units, so if you do 3 a month you'll coer the book.)

Sure, no problem. I will pop it in the mail Wed or Thurs. depending on how the week shapes up (wed might be an early release and that doesn't work so good for grocery shopping day when I have to haul 3 kids AND the groceries...my car is getting too small.)

Yeah it's that overview of everything. Dinos, Endangered Species, Plants, Animals, weather, planets/solar system, electricity, physics (I think there are 9 or 10 units, so if you do 3 a month you'll coer the book.)

thanks

any other thought out there, things i should look up?

Magic Schoolbus books, Apologia, DK Eyewitness books, an Usborne Encyclopedia, The Way Things Work (great pictures for a physics intro), and some Tiner books (current favorite around here is The History of Medicine). My small boy loves science and his capacity to really *enjoy* non-fiction reading amazes me - these are all books he has read and loved. :)

Mr. Q Earth Science.

It's free. If you don't feel like reading it you can also just get the audio version for free.

I believe the free digital book is Mr. Q Life Science, not Earth Science. The free audio, I believe, is Earth Science.

I have nothing else to offer though. That was a great question, OP!

I believe the free digital book is Mr. Q Life Science, not Earth Science. The free audio, I believe, is Earth Science.

I have nothing else to offer though. That was a great question, OP!

The free Mr. Q book is Life Science.

The free audio is Life Science.

My husband made it. I keep getting it wrong since my husband is recording other Mr. Q science that I can't give away. We are allowed to give away his life science recording since he gives it away.

The free audio is here:

http://www.traximages.ca/~inge/mrq/

The free Mr. Q book is Life Science.

The free audio is Life Science.

My husband made it. I keep getting it wrong since my husband is recording other Mr. Q science that I can't give away. We are allowed to give away his life science recording since he gives it away.

The free audio is here:

http://www.traximages.ca/~inge/mrq/

Thank you to your husband for recording this! And thanks to Mr. Q for allowing it to be free!

i also just bought off amazon The Berenstain Bears' Big Book of Science and Nature

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0486498344/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1.

it is part of sonlight's preK curriculum that and the text my friend (see above) is sending me should cover "general science reading" till fall when we start sonlight's Biology, Botany, and Physics in the fall (when i will have a k and a 2nd)

http://www.sonlight.com/science-a.html

The Story of Science by Joy Hakim. It's 3 volumes though...

thanks i added them to my wish list so i remember them. they look like 3 boosk we might get to just read as read-a-louds ... i think they boys would like them.

do you think they are on the level a 7 yo could understand well enough if they were read to him?