Menu

HS Science - lecture & book based curriculum?

We are entering into high school next year - I'm a newbie at this high school thing, but we've been homeschooling from the start.

My predicament is science. I have been searching online for a science curriculum - high school level - that includes lectures (preferably via video) and good solid text books. I Googled Prentice Hall Science Lectures, along with several other key word searches, and I couldn't find anything that includes what I'm looking for. Ideally, I'd like something similar to what is experienced in high school or college, but done at home. Lessons that would go something like this: read a chapter, listen to a lecture, write a summary - then write a paper at the end of the unit. Hands on things are OK, but we usually don't get to them.

My daughter is interested in aviation, so meteorology, earth science, astronomy, and physics are the science courses we would like her to study to get ready for this field.

I've seen the Great Courses, which I might take advantage of, but they are not tied to any textbook, so this would make lesson planning quite involved, which I'm not excited about. I'd like something with the lessons already laid out, writing assignments, lectures, all tied to a text book.

This might work for you.

http://www.brightstorm.com/textbook/

The lectures aren't geared for any specific textbook, but they have done correlations for some specific textbooks.

Click on the subject, then find the title of the textbook, then click on any chapter and then section and it will show you the videos that go with it.

http://hippocampus.org/HippoCampus/Biology;jsessionid=C9635ABE75C03F00C08A62DA010B6E07?view=Textbooks

This might work also. Again, the videos aren't tied to a particular book, but they have been sorted to correlate with various textbooks.

This might work for you.

http://www.brightstorm.com/textbook/

The lectures aren't geared for any specific textbook, but they have done correlations for some specific textbooks.

Click on the subject, then find the title of the textbook, then click on any chapter and then section and it will show you the videos that go with it.

http://hippocampus.o...?view=Textbooks

This might work also. Again, the videos aren't tied to a particular book, but they have been sorted to correlate with various textbooks.

These are close to what I'm looking for. I'd really love to just buy a DVD with all the lectures on it and an accompanying Textbook from a good/solid publisher (not Apologia or DIVE or anything that is going to dogmatically insist on a young earth - modern evangelical Christian point of view, ideally with a lesson plan/teacher's manual.

Is that so tough? Haha!

Derek Owens will probably work for you for science then. There have been a lot of posts about his classes on this board. I know that some of his courses are actual online classes and others can be purchased as video-based. The only sciences he has are physical science and physics.

Conceptual Chemistry has videos for every lesson, I don't know how much of the material they actually cover or if they just introduce the lessons. But that could be a good option for you for chemistry.

I did look into Derek Owens - but I am hesitant to justify $500-$700 for one high school subject. A fair price for what I'm looking for - DVD lectures - a textbook - and a lesson plan I would price out at $150-$250 (max.) I'm not willing to pay for more than that. I can come up with a text book for about $40 and I can find lectures online or buy a Great Course set of DVDs for about $30 and line them up myself. I would like to avoid this work and pay a little more, but I can't justify $60-$80 per month for 9 months for one course. I would also like more choices for coursework. I like the idea of meteorology for 9th grade and physics for 10th grade for a good foundation getting into aviation.

Derek Owens does offer Physical Science for $172 on his Lucid Education website. You might be able to arrange something similar for Physics if you do not need the teacher feedback.

Conceptual Physics by Hewitt also has video lectures.

Not turn key but I think GPB Physics & Chemistry courses are worth a look. They don't have specific textbook correlations from what I understand but they are free and include guided lecture notes and worksheets. Apparently, you can get the teacher materials by request if you purchase one of the DVDs.

Here's another option for chemistry podcasts - $99 for a year of AP Chem or Reg. Chem lectures. They might be able to provide a syllabus as well. These podcasts were created by two of the early practitioners of flipped classrooms but you can find a lot of other free videos/podcasts by googling flipped class fill in the blank. Another example is Bozeman Science.

My daughter is interested in aviation, so meteorology, earth science, astronomy, and physics are the science courses we would like her to study to get ready for this field.

I'll put Chemistry in as well for high school science.

"Calculus is particularly important, because many introductory college engineering courses will assume at least some familiarity with calculus. Physics is particularly important for aerospace engineering, but at least one year of chemistry is also suggested....Young professionals in the aerospace industry reported taking as many Advanced Placement (College in High School, or equivalent) classes as possible as a way to prepare for engineering in college.

Math, chemistry, and physics are courses that discourage some aspiring engineers. However, these courses tend to be the main courses for the first few semesters of a student’s college career" (from American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics student page)

Ideally, I'd like something similar to what is experienced in high school or college, but done at home. Lessons that would go something like this: read a chapter, listen to a lecture, write a summary - then write a paper at the end of the unit. Hands on things are OK, but we usually don't get to them.

Have you thought about how you'd handle labs? She will need at least two sciences with labs, more likely three, while in high school if she'll be studying engineering in college. You can follow a lab curriculum at home, outsource through a co-op or other group, have her take science as a duel enrollment course (at a CC or university---I don't know what you have locally), do one of those Landry intensives...

I'll put Chemistry in as well for high school science.

"Calculus is particularly important, because many introductory college engineering courses will assume at least some familiarity with calculus. Physics is particularly important for aerospace engineering, but at least one year of chemistry is also suggested....Young professionals in the aerospace industry reported taking as many Advanced Placement (College in High School, or equivalent) classes as possible as a way to prepare for engineering in college.

Math, chemistry, and physics are courses that discourage some aspiring engineers. However, these courses tend to be the main courses for the first few semesters of a student’s college career" (from American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics student page)

Aerospace might be a step or two up from where DD wants to end up. She's thinking professional pilot or military pilot. I'm lining up consultation with the military liaison to get a better idea of what's expected. Also we are leaning towards Running Start which is an AA degree along with the HS degree upon graduation.

Have you thought about how you'd handle labs? She will need at least two sciences with labs, more likely three, while in high school if she'll be studying engineering in college. You can follow a lab curriculum at home, outsource through a co-op or other group, have her take science as a duel enrollment course (at a CC or university---I don't know what you have locally), do one of those Landry intensives...

I was thinking she could do the lab sciences in CC - she will prob do Running Start.

Next two years - homeschool highschool - prepare for college level work - then Running Start.

Derek Owens does offer Physical Science for $172 on his Lucid Education website. You might be able to arrange something similar for Physics if you do not need the teacher feedback.

Conceptual Physics by Hewitt also has video lectures.

Not turn key but I think GPB Physics & Chemistry courses are worth a look. They don't have specific textbook correlations from what I understand but they are free and include guided lecture notes and worksheets. Apparently, you can get the teacher materials by request if you purchase one of the DVDs.

Here's another option for chemistry podcasts - $99 for a year of AP Chem or Reg. Chem lectures. They might be able to provide a syllabus as well. These podcasts were created by two of the early practitioners of flipped classrooms but you can find a lot of other free videos/podcasts by googling flipped class fill in the blank. Another example is Bozeman Science.

I like the look of the Derek Owens Physical Science and the Hewitt Conceptual Physics. Thanks.