Menu

SAT Physics test after Derek Owens course?

My son (9th grade) is currently finishing up the DO course and I was wondering if any of your dc had success taking the SAT subject test following the course. I understand that ds will have to review some materials not covered in great depth and also memorize the formula sheet. Is it possible to do this if one just has approx. 3 weeks to review? I plan to purchase Barron's test prep book. Uggh, I can't put paragraph breaks in my post.......sorry.........I had not planned ahead for this test because ds will most likely take AP Physics in 12th grade. However those scores will not be available when he applies to colleges. Any advice, suggestions? Also, can ds retake the test if he does not do well in June. Thanks.

Don't use Barron's! Barron's is known for covering material that is not on the test and going to a far greater depth on material on the test than the test does so that you are wasting a lot of your prep time. Yes, you do learn more about that particular topic, but since the whole purpose of the prep book is to prep you for the exam, it isn't going to help.

Kaplan and Princeton Review are the prep books I have seen with consistent good reviews. Their practice tests are also supposed to be more like the actual test than others.

Sparknotes is free online and is pretty good as well.

It is possible to do it with just 3 weeks to review, but more time is better. My class finished the text two weeks ago and started prepping then. I am using Kaplan as my base for planning things out. I am also having my students work through the free practice questions on the Giancoli companion website. Those are helpful too.

Be sure to remind your student that there are NO calculators allowed. He will be able to write in his test booklet, but that is all.

He needs to make sure to do plenty of practice tests. I'm having my students do a practice test every week. Go over the missed answers so that he knows why he missed those.

Thanks Angie. I had seen your thread with the links for review materials and hope to use them. I picked Barron's because I thought others on here had recommended that guide over some of the others.

I was mostly concerned about asking ds to jump into the deep end of the pool without being adequately equipped. He is working hard to complete the last chapter in Derek Owens' syllabus and still has to take the final.

Ds is also heavily involved with music so May is a crazy month with dress rehearsals, concerts etc. I have still have a few days to decide before I sign him up.

If he doesn't do well, is it worth taking the test again or should we just skip it?

Thanks.

Don't use Barron's! Barron's is known for covering material that is not on the test and going to a far greater depth on material on the test than the test does so that you are wasting a lot of your prep time. Yes, you do learn more about that particular topic, but since the whole purpose of the prep book is to prep you for the exam, it isn't going to help.

Kaplan and Princeton Review are the prep books I have seen with consistent good reviews. Their practice tests are also supposed to be more like the actual test than others.

Sparknotes is free online and is pretty good as well.

It is possible to do it with just 3 weeks to review, but more time is better. My class finished the text two weeks ago and started prepping then. I am using Kaplan as my base for planning things out. I am also having my students work through the free practice questions on the Giancoli companion website. Those are helpful too.

Be sure to remind your student that there are NO calculators allowed. He will be able to write in his test booklet, but that is all.

He needs to make sure to do plenty of practice tests. I'm having my students do a practice test every week. Go over the missed answers so that he knows why he missed those.

I picked Barron's because I thought others on here had recommended that guide over some of the others.

My son used Barron's and the free online Sparknotes for both physics and chemistry. Barron's is harder than the actual test, but that approach worked extremely well for him.

My son used Barron's and the free online Sparknotes for both physics and chemistry. Barron's is harder than the actual test, but that approach worked extremely well for him.

This worked extremely well here, too.

TeaTotaler, I'm not familiar with the DO physics course. I would recommend having your son take a practice released exam before deciding whether or not to sign up for the subject test. College Board has a big book of SAT II released exams (1 per subject); it should be available at your library or bookstore. Have him sit for an hour and calculate the score. If it looks reasonable, then use those results to target specific topics to review in the few weeks. Barrons or the online Giancoli practice problems can work well for that.

Be aware that a lot of kids take this particular test upon completion of AP Physics B, & that can affect the grading curve.

Sure, he can retake it later if he's not satisfied with his score, but will he have time to restudy the material next year? Most universities just look at the highest score on SAT subject exams.

I've posted before in a similar thread ... My son took the Derek Owens honors physics course last year and scored an 800 on the SAT subject test.

I should add that he occasionally supplemented by reading in Tipler (since he'd already had calculus ... in hindsight, he should have done a calculus-based physics class instead, but oh well); labs were supervised by two PhD physicists (my husband and my son's friend's dad), so there was meaty discussion & added complexity; and my son is a good test-taker. He used Sparknotes & another prep book (can't remember which one; it was given away soon after). But his friend, who hadn't even had trig by that point and will be majoring in art/graphic design in college, scored 730 after taking Derek Owens' course, which he was quite pleased with (the score and the class). Highly recommended -- both boys enjoyed the humor in the lectures (pianos being dropped off cliffs, etc.).

Thanks Kathy. I have the 2011-2012 big SAT subj test book out from the Library. Ds is currently taking the sample test.

What would be a reasonable score?

P.S. I couldn't post earlier but thanks to another boardie, I'm able to post again.

This worked extremely well here, too.

TeaTotaler, I'm not familiar with the DO physics course. I would recommend having your son take a practice released exam before deciding whether or not to sign up for the subject test. College Board has a big book of SAT II released exams (1 per subject); it should be available at your library or bookstore. Have him sit for an hour and calculate the score. If it looks reasonable, then use those results to target specific topics to review in the few weeks. Barrons or the online Giancoli practice problems can work well for that.

Be aware that a lot of kids take this particular test upon completion of AP Physics B, & that can affect the grading curve.

Sure, he can retake it later if he's not satisfied with his score, but will he have time to restudy the material next year? Most universities just look at the highest score on SAT subject exams.

Laura, I do remember reading that thread some time ago. I believe your ds is off-the-charts gifted and with your dh's help he has probably gone way beyond Derek Owens' course. Unfortunately, ds hasn't had any external support other than the course itself. I did get a used copy of the text for him.

Tomorrow is the deadline to sign up...so I have a few more hours to think about this. :-)

I've posted before in a similar thread ... My son took the Derek Owens honors physics course last year and scored an 800 on the SAT subject test.

I should add that he occasionally supplemented by reading in Tipler (since he'd already had calculus ... in hindsight, he should have done a calculus-based physics class instead, but oh well); labs were supervised by two PhD physicists (my husband and my son's friend's dad), so there was meaty discussion & added complexity; and my son is a good test-taker. He used Sparknotes & another prep book (can't remember which one; it was given away soon after). But his friend, who hadn't even had trig by that point and will be majoring in art/graphic design in college, scored 730 after taking Derek Owens' course, which he was quite pleased with (the score and the class). Highly recommended -- both boys enjoyed the humor in the lectures (pianos being dropped off cliffs, etc.).

I'd aim for a score of 650 & up for most schools, with more selective schools liking scores in the 700s range. This is one particular test where targeted analysis of the practice test + a few weeks' additional study can raise scores fairly significantly. For example, if the student is missing lots of optics problems, I'd have him re-work that particular chapter in his physics text (or Spark Notes or review book) till he gets it.

What would be a reasonable score for a sample test taken cold without much review/study? Just looking for a ball park figure to decide if we should pursue this. He will definitely have to review some chapters in greater depth. Derek Owens did send me a chart that showed which chapters/topics that ds will need to put more work into in order to take the subject test.

Thanks.

I'd aim for a score of 650 & up for most schools, with more selective schools liking scores in the 700s range. This is one particular test where targeted analysis of the practice test + a few weeks' additional study can raise scores fairly significantly. For example, if the student is missing lots of optics problems, I'd have him re-work that particular chapter in his physics text (or Spark Notes or review book) till he gets it.

What would be a reasonable score for a sample test taken cold without much review/study? Just looking for a ball park figure to decide if we should pursue this. He will definitely have to review some chapters in greater depth. Derek Owens did send me a chart that showed which chapters/topics that ds will need to put more work into in order to take the subject test.

Thanks.

Totally depends on the kid and how much time & effort he can put into it in the next month! I'd roughly suggest that with concentrated effort, the raw score could go up by 15 or so questions out of 75. Depending on where he's scoring now, that could be an overall score improvement of 60 to 100 points.

Kathy,

I'll PM you. Thanks.

Thanks.