Menu

Science for the irritated pre-teen (and his mother)

I will have an older 7th grader next year (he will turn 13 in September) and the "mommy wars" have started. I have already farmed out two classes that involve discussion and writing (history and English). If he doesn't understand something right away, he gets irritated with me and all learning comes to a stop. I will teach him math, but I'm wondering if that may be my limit in order to preserve our relationship. I was planning on also teaching him a harder physical science like Prentice Hall concepts in action but am wondering if he really just needs something he can do himself. I am out of money for online classes. I think he has the potential to actually like science, but the Apologia series doesn't excite him. General science, while it bored him, did teach him some skills (like studying for a test and lab write ups). He did like Rainbow science when he did it in 5th grade (he did the physics and chemistry portion of it). I think he liked the labs and having the kit of stuff.

I feel like I've given up trying to make things interesting for him. He doesn't really care and has no opinion on what he learns. His younger brother and sister are interested in loads of topics and excited about learning. It's fun to teach them. My oldest student has always been a "get it done so I can go on with my life" kind of kid. I really don't know what to do. I feel like just handing him the Physical Science Apologia book to just get the science portion taken care of - he'll learn something, but it won't excite him - he'll continue to think science is boring. Maybe I just need to give up and let God figure the boy out and give him something to be excited about.

Beth

You can use the BJU textbook, without the online or DVD teacher. It is more informational than Apologia, and we have enjoyed BJU more than Apologia for that reason, which I thought was too chatty.

What about NOEO? It comes with a schedule he can follow on his own.

Or, maybe Science Fusion? I think it's on sale at HSBC right now.

I can totally relate to the 'irritated pre-teen' syndrome! I have one here, too. The school year we are currently finishing has been one of distance between us. I make a weekly chart, he does his work. I check to make sure it's done on Fridays.

Call. His. Bluff.

If he expresses no opinion thereby forcing you to choose his science, then he can whine and complain and argue with you about his science. Based on your signature, he is currently doing Alg1. His math level is such that it would be silly and cheating him out of some really interesting science to let him manipulate the situation into a place where no one will be happy.

Talk to him about science. Go over the topics generally covered in physical science and explain that because it covers these topics it somewhat of a gateway to high school level sciences. Physical science will give an overview of basic physics info, chemistry info, as well as tossing in what is often a students last look at earth and space science, so that he can move into high school biology with the necessary background info. You could of course skip physical science and jump into a conceptual physics, then chemistry, then biology, and so on. Physical science is an easier stepping stone.

Explain that there are many products that can be used to cover physical science. Tell him that he needs to decide what he wants to use to cover this course. (unless you also want to give him the option of skipping it in favor of physics and then maybe look at Paul Hewitt's high school level Conceptual Physics.) Show him some samples and tell him that he can pick from one of those or that he can research options of his own. Explain that he will look at least one option each night and that you will be e-mailing him links to the material. Tell him that after he looks at the product he is to tell you at least one thing he liked and one thing he didn't like about the product. Ex. In the case of NOEO he might say that he likes that it has a science kit that comes with it, but he doesn't like that it has so many books. The second night he should give a like and dislike and tell if he liked it less than or more than the product from night one. Each night also e-mail him the link to Rainbow Resource with a reminder that he is free to look for other there or elsewhere.

At the end of a week he should have a favorite out of at least 5 and perhaps more. Let him know that this is his baby and that he is responsible for this course. That, of course, you will help him with the course if he needs help, but that this is his education and ultimately the knowledge he gains will be his, so it is important that he play an active roll.

HTH-

Mandy

If you want a course, what about having him try a FREE online class? If he had some basic algebra, this might be interesting:

https://www.udacity.com/course/ph100

or this one:

https://www.coursera.org/course/howthingswork1 (hurry with sign up; course is almost over and I do not know whether the materials will be accessible after the class ends)

Or you can hand him a book. Louis Bloomfield's book How Things Work is good and not too textbookish. Hewitt's Conceptual Physical Science is another one I can recommend.

OTOH, maybe he just does not get excited about the format and the predigested nature of the text he is using? Too schoolish and boring? You could simply take him to the library and select non-fiction books on science. I see no need to use textbooks for science prior to high school. I find exposure and waking an interest much more important at that age. He does not even have to stick to one field; I'd require that he spends x amount of time on science, but maybe he finds astronomy or earth science or particle physics or forensics more interesting?

At the end of a week he should have a favorite out of at least 5 and perhaps more. Let him know that this is his baby and that he is responsible for this course. That, of course, you will help him with the course if he needs help, but that this is his education and ultimately the knowledge he gains will be his, so it is important that he play an active role.

That sounds like a plan. I am getting a lot of different books from the library so I can give him that as his homework.

If you want a course, what about having him try a FREE online class? If he had some basic algebra, this might be interesting:

https://www.udacity.com/course/ph100

or this one:

https://www.coursera.../howthingswork1 (hurry with sign up; course is almost over and I do not know whether the materials will be accessible after the class ends)

I've looked at the udacity course and liked it, but I thought it was just too short for a full year. Now I'm looking at it as an "add on" to another possible course. Teaching the same thing a different way. With the how things work course...do you know how often they offer that course. It looks very interesting.

Beth

With the how things work course...do you know how often they offer that course. It looks very interesting.

I'll just sign up and download all the lecture slides and videos. The lecturer's website for the book has exams and solutions, slides and pdf. This is his instructor resource link (ETA: Part II and Part V links don't work)

http://howeverything...nstructors.html