Menu

Extremely oily skin.... what products do you use?

My face is so oily, it's quite embarrassing. No one I know seems to have the sort of oily shine I have! Plus plenty of acne. I'm about to turn 44, and know it's a hormone thing, but sheesh, why do I have to look teenage again?

So, recommendations for skincare and makeup? What do those of you with extremely oily skin use to wash your face? What other products do you use? What foundation/powder works best at keeping the shine to a minimum?

Michelle T, who is getting very self-conscious about her skin

My face is so oily, it's quite embarrassing. No one I know seems to have the sort of oily shine I have! Plus plenty of acne. I'm about to turn 44, and know it's a hormone thing, but sheesh, why do I have to look teenage again?

So, recommendations for skincare and makeup? What do those of you with extremely oily skin use to wash your face? What other products do you use? What foundation/powder works best at keeping the shine to a minimum?

I've been trying to beat my face into submission since I was a teenager. I could probably solve the energy crisis with the oil that accumulates on my face -- ugh!

Believe it or not, I started washing my face with baking soda a month or so ago when there was a thread about it here and the change has been dramatic and amazing. I look ten years younger and I don't drip anymore. :lol:

Michelle,

I have been using the products at acne.org (Dan Kern's site) for a couple of years now and have just about eliminated my skin problems (I'm 47). As for makeup, when I do wear it (rarely), I apply a liquid foundation by Lancome with a high quality artists' paintbrush (synthetic bristles). I don't like to wear a lot of makeup but I do like to have a nice even skin tone. I will sometimes apply a Lancome bronzer powder as a blusher. My skin is fair so I have to be careful not to overdo it.

If you do decide to use the acne.org regime I would advise, start slow and keep it up. It really works but if your skin starts to get irritated at all you need to ease up a bit. Eventually my skin has gotten used to the products so that it never gets irritated. I have, however, ruined a couple of sets of sheets (bleach stains from benzoyl peroxide) and switched to white towels! But it is so worth it, I love having clear skin.

Best of luck to you.

Hey Kris,

Just baking soda? Or baking soda mixed with a particular soap?

Many thanks!

Being a creature of habit, sometimes I forget and wash my face with the soap, too. But if I remember to just use the baking soda, it is just fine! I know! I didn't believe it either! And in the same thread they were talking about washing your hair with baking soda and rinsing it with diluted vinegar -- yeah! Right! Well, that works, too! My fine, limp, oily hair is wonderful afterwards.

The only downside I've had so far is I'm either using too much vinegar or not rinsing enough. Everything is fine until I go to work out -- and as soon as I get sweaty I smell like a pickle. :D But others who do it say that it doesn't happen to them -- so I just need to work on that.

Being a creature of habit, sometimes I forget and wash my face with the soap, too. But if I remember to just use the baking soda, it is just fine! I know! I didn't believe it either! And in the same thread they were talking about washing your hair with baking soda and rinsing it with diluted vinegar -- yeah! Right! Well, that works, too! My fine, limp, oily hair is wonderful afterwards.

The only downside I've had so far is I'm either using too much vinegar or not rinsing enough. Everything is fine until I go to work out -- and as soon as I get sweaty I smell like a pickle. :D But others who do it say that it doesn't happen to them -- so I just need to work on that.

I have been doing this for years now. Noone ever believed me either about the baking soda, but thier are so many great uses for it! Makes my skin feel great. For shampoo use a bit of shampoo along with a handfull of baking soda. Then rinse with half water - half apple cider vinegar.

I have been doing this for years now. Noone ever believed me either about the baking soda, but thier are so many great uses for it! Makes my skin feel great. For shampoo use a bit of shampoo along with a handfull of baking soda. Then rinse with half water - half apple cider vinegar.

Thanks for the tips!

I'm going to have to try the baking soda trick.

I use either Oil of Olay or Neutrogena. I have found that mineral make up (any brand) with some Neutrogenea Healthy Skin oil-control powder brushed over it does fairly well. I also do NOT moisturize in the summer. This is bad, because I use moisturizer with an SPF, but I compensate by staying out of the sun.

No acne problem here (oily skin does not equal acne, thank goodness!), but I think Clean & Clear products are good for those who do have both oily skin and acne.

Well what do you do exactly? How do you use it?

:bigear::bigear::bigear::bigear::bigear::bigear:

I take aprox 1/2 cup full of baking soda. I put just a bit in my hand for my face and wash with just a little water added. I use about half of what's left of it for my hair and the other half as a body scrub.

My face was oily for a long while, but now is much more normal. I do not use anything on it except water. I only wear foundation on Sundays, and then not every one.

I find skin will find its natural balance if left alone--not stripped, not over moisturized.

Baking soda sounds perfect, because it provides a little exfoliation and a little "balancing."

It's also and excellent deoderant! Just to test how well it works (warning you might get grossed out here) I dusted some under my arms after I showered and then I didn't shower for 4 days (I don't normally do that either). I didn't stink at all! Plus its better for you cause it allows your body to sweat. Sweating releases toxins.

I find skin will find its natural balance if left alone--not stripped, not over moisturized.
Not so much, though, with hormones raging maybe? DS17 tried just water, and he kept getting worse and worse. I think I'll have him try the baking soda!

So, would I have him just make a sort of watery paste and rub it on his face, then rinse it off, or how do you do it?

Thanks for the tips!

Not so much, though, with hormones raging maybe? DS17 tried just water, and he kept getting worse and worse. I think I'll have him try the baking soda!

So, would I have him just make a sort of watery paste and rub it on his face, then rinse it off, or how do you do it?

Thanks for the tips!

My skin is *not* delicate, so take it with that in mind. I just put some in a little plastic dish. I'm clumsy -- no glass. I get my face damp, dip my fingers in the baking soda, and just rub it around on my face. It rinses right off, too.

There was a lady who posted on another thread that the exfoliation was a little more than she expected, and I would guess in a case like that you would want to dilute it with some water. When I did it, I didn't even notice and thought nothing was happening until I looked in the mirror and wondered who that was! :lol:

I don't know about all that baking soda stuff. I prefer straight up chemicals. Use products designed for oily/acne prone skin such as Mary Kay or Dr. Patricia Wexler, M.D. If you want to use another brand, ok.

After I moisturize my face, I apply Mary Kay's Oil Mattifier and then apply a foundation for oily skin. The BEST one I found for oily skin is made by Origins. It is called Mattifier or whatever. The foundation just soaks up oil lickity split and it stays put and gives great coverage. Origins doesn't offer this in many colors but if you are a white person, you could probably find a color match. I caution you that if you use this product, you must wash your face at night otherwise you'll clog up your pores.

Hi All

I market skin care and just a few things to think about...

Be very careful around your eyes that skin is very delicate and it will wrinkle very easily with scrubbing - you are actually stretching.

Please don't think that b/c you have oily skin you don't need a moisturizer - YOU DO! The moistuizer is the protectant from the environment like you would put on a canvas befrore you paint on it. Get one for oily skin.

Your skin is the largest organ of your body. It is reacting to what you are feeding it just like your heart reacts when you eat too much saturated fat for too long and gets a fatty build up there and the surrouning areas - veins. Check your diet for things that may be drying your skin (body) out such as caronated beverages, this causes your body to over produce to compensate. Your diet and stress levels (related) are the most important thing because your skin comes from the inside. This is not said to say that some of the issues are hormonal but it still related to diet and how you eat in these changing times.

If you ever find a regimine that is irritating (burning, redness, etc.) to the skin you should STOP. (This is different than initial addtional breakout as your skin becomes cleaner, that means it is working.) Your body is trying to tell you something and you should listen to it!

If you have any other questions or want to know what I market please PM me.

Thanks and beautiful skin to you and yours~

It's also and excellent deoderant! Just to test how well it works (warning you might get grossed out here) I dusted some under my arms after I showered and then I didn't shower for 4 days (I don't normally do that either). I didn't stink at all! Plus its better for you cause it allows your body to sweat. Sweating releases toxins.

Excellet idea! I've been using baking soda for deodorant also and it works very well!