Menu

2013 Bible Bee? Anyone?

I am really excited about it this year with my kiddos! I am eager to read your blogs since it will be our first year.

I hope you have a wonderful experience. I expected it to be a good Bible memory program, but I didn't anticipate the heart changes we experienced in our family. I was blown away by how much it impacted us.

• 2 months later...

We had a surprising blessing of being a part of a group that does a weekly bonfire with worship and activities for the kids. We already loved the Bible Bee, but this has been *amazing* for our whole family. So glad others are hearing about the Bible Bee and enjoying it as well.

How long does this program run. I am thinking of having my kids do it next year.

The summer family discipleship program is basically a summer-long commitment--12 weeks. It starts June 1 and ends near the end of August (the 24th, this year). What I love about it is that you can just do what is comfortable for your family. (Last year we waited and used the Bible study as our Bible homeschool curriculum after summer was finished.) They provide tools, support, and encouragement for you to use in whatever way you want. I love that we can use it however we want (or even leave pieces out) to fit our family instead of feeling pressured to have our family fit into their program.

The summer family discipleship program is basically a summer-long commitment--12 weeks. It starts June 1 and ends near the end of August (the 24th, this year). What I love about it is that you can just do what is comfortable for your family. (Last year we waited and used the Bible study as our Bible homeschool curriculum after summer was finished.) They provide tools, support, and encouragement for you to use in whatever way you want. I love that we can use it however we want (or even leave pieces out) to fit our family instead of feeling pressured to have our family fit into their program.

thank you. I think I will keep it in mind for next year.

Just wondering how everyone is doing with study and preps!

I am such a newbie that I didn't realize there were verses on the BACK of the study cards. I feel like an idiot! I had counted all the verses on the front, and it was about 24, so I figured we were good... NOT. LOL!!! We were already behind due to camps and travel, but thankfully the kids are quick on memorizing and we're catching up. We're up to date on our study and almost through week 4 with the verses. I don't think we'll have any huge issue catching up.

For memory work we're using the Fighter Verses App. It has fabulous tools and quizzes which has been great.

For veterans - any advice on the test? I take it the written is pretty straightforward - and would I be correct in assuming that if we work through the study, review the main points, and go through the family discussion questions we'll be pretty good? No?

And the oral - do they prompt the kids or do they just have to start listing and recite? That'll make a huge difference for us in preparing.

Thanks so much!! I am so loving this program! The study materials are so rocking I ordered 2 older year's worth for our study for the school year!

Thanks again. I hope everyone is having fun and learning a lot!!!

FriedClams, you are doing *fabulous*! If you fall behind in the memory work or feel pressured, just slow it down. There's no need to finish by the end of the summer---or at all---unless your kids want to go to the National competition. (That's a whole new ball of wax including a lot more memory verses.) We've fallen a bit behind with the Sword Study. We may catch up or may just extend it into the fall. That's the wonderful thing about the Bible Bee--you can do whichever pieces are right for your family.

There are a few sample written questions here: http://www.biblebee.org/families/overview.php?p=12. I have never seen the actual test, but my son told me that there was some matching of the memory verses last year. So I believe the test covers the memory verses as well as the Sword Study. I believe they use a scantron, so you may want to practice that if it will be a first scantron experience. Greek words usually come up on the test. I've seen some sample questions that other people have entered into Quizlet (just make sure you are looking at questions for the 2013 Bible Bee). Memverse also has a practice test for the 2012 Bible Bee: http://www.memverse.com/blog/main/2012-bible-bee-practice-tests. Perhaps they will have one for 2013 later this summer.

During the oral round, the judge will give a scripture reference (in random order). The contestant repeats the reference, recites the verse, and repeats the reference again. Then the judge will another scripture reference. If the contestant messes up, they need to start at the beginning of the entire passage or at the beginning of a verse instead of just correcting a word mid-stream. Also, if they get stuck, they can raise their hand to be prompted on the next word. We didn't realize the process until the contest day last year, and it would have been helpful if we had practiced reciting the verses that way. It all sounds very formal and strict. They are careful to follow the same procedures, but everyone was incredibly encouraging and positive throughout the experience.

I hope you have a wonderful experience. I expected it to be a good Bible memory program, but I didn't anticipate the heart changes we experienced in our family. I was blown away by how much it impacted us.

My husband works for the American Bible Society, and he said that according to their research, people have to encounter the Bible at least four times a week for change to happen. Seems like the Bible Bee is a great way to get people engaging with the Bible on a daily basis.

That being said, I have to say I'm a little wary of the idea of a Bible Bee--even though my 8yo has a great memory and I think he'd really do well--because I'm squiffy on turning the Bible into a contest. KWIM? Maybe it's just a personality difference (or me projecting my own competitiveness/approval orientation) but I would hate to have my kids think that they somehow aren't good enough if they don't obliterate the competition at the Bee. Could those of you who've done speak to that at all?

My husband works for the American Bible Society, and he said that according to their research, people have to encounter the Bible at least four times a week for change to happen. Seems like the Bible Bee is a great way to get people engaging with the Bible on a daily basis.

That being said, I have to say I'm a little wary of the idea of a Bible Bee--even though my 8yo has a great memory and I think he'd really do well--because I'm squiffy on turning the Bible into a contest. KWIM? Maybe it's just a personality difference (or me projecting my own competitiveness/approval orientation) but I would hate to have my kids think that they somehow aren't good enough if they don't obliterate the competition at the Bee. Could those of you who've done speak to that at all?

You may find my post about the local "contest" day helpful. One of the mottos of the Bible Bee is that it is really family discipleship disguised as a contest. I found this to be very true. There is a contest, but it did not "feel" like a contest at all. http://turning-our-hearts.blogspot.com/2013/04/bible-bees-local-contest-day-day-of.html That said, there is not a one-size-fits-all model for family discipleship any more than there is for education. While we adore the Bible Bee, I'm sure it's not everyone's cup of tea.

FriedClams, you are doing *fabulous*! If you fall behind in the memory work or feel pressured, just slow it down. There's no need to finish by the end of the summer---or at all---unless your kids want to go to the National competition. (That's a whole new ball of wax including a lot more memory verses.) We've fallen a bit behind with the Sword Study. We may catch up or may just extend it into the fall. That's the wonderful thing about the Bible Bee--you can do whichever pieces are right for your family.

There are a few sample written questions here: http://www.biblebee.org/families/overview.php?p=12. I have never seen the actual test, but my son told me that there was some matching of the memory verses last year. So I believe the test covers the memory verses as well as the Sword Study. I believe they use a scantron, so you may want to practice that if it will be a first scantron experience. Greek words usually come up on the test. I've seen some sample questions that other people have entered into Quizlet (just make sure you are looking at questions for the 2013 Bible Bee). Memverse also has a practice test for the 2012 Bible Bee: http://www.memverse.com/blog/main/2012-bible-bee-practice-tests. Perhaps they will have one for 2013 later this summer.

During the oral round, the judge will give a scripture reference (in random order). The contestant repeats the reference, recites the verse, and repeats the reference again. Then the judge will another scripture reference. If the contestant messes up, they need to start at the beginning of the entire passage or at the beginning of a verse instead of just correcting a word mid-stream. Also, if they get stuck, they can raise their hand to be prompted on the next word. We didn't realize the process until the contest day last year, and it would have been helpful if we had practiced reciting the verses that way. It all sounds very formal and strict. They are careful to follow the same procedures, but everyone was incredibly encouraging and positive throughout the experience.

THANK YOU!!! This is really helpful. I thought the kids might have to just start reciting, (and remember the list of references themselves) so this is really great info. I will work with them on restarting from the beginning if they have a misstep. I can't get over how great the materials are! I'm really excited about how great this has been for our family.

Thanks again for the information! I'm sure I'll be asking more questions before August!

I can totally see what you're saying, but I think like AWANA it's how you as a family approach the "competition" and the group you are involved with. Our AWANA group has "bucks" and stuff the kids can earn - but it's not the focus. It's motivating for the kids - but not in an ugly way. In our group the money is used to buy things to stuff Christmas shoeboxes, buy Christmas gifts for family members, etc. It's a fun and lighthearted thing. And we're really clear with the kids - the focus is God's word. The other stuff is just for fun.

So far our paticipation in the Bible Bee has been all family driven. We're hours from our "local" group - so we have no pressure at all. I do wish we were closer to our group because the local host family is awesome! They've had a kick off BBQ, an ice cream social is scheduled, and they have review and practice time for the kids. They really emphasize family discipleship and for me it would be a GREAT chance to meet other families. The tone has never been one of cut-throat competition - but encouragement to study and love God's Word. I look forward to meeting the host family and others at the local event!

The other thing I've noticed (I had very similar reservations to yours) is in all of the videos I've seen the kids are very relaxed, there are loads of families there, and the kids seems to encourage each other a lot. It's really cool to watch. If you google "National Bible Bee videos" you'll find some. There seems a similar kinship to the kids in the spelling bee - but when interviewed each kid talks about how studying the Word is the prize. It's pretty neat to see.

Hope that helps. I agree with Stacey though - not every program is good for every family - and that's totally OK! This is our first year with the Bee and I'm excited to see if my reality matches my expectation!

Just bumping up to encourage and see how everyone's doing!!

We're starting Week 7 today!! I hope everyone is doing well. I am LOVING this study! The kids and I are getting a ton out of it. God is really convicting me of some attitudes that need work - in me! Ouch! :-) Our memory work is going OK. We're finally done with the catch up from me missing the verses on the back of the cards and will start week 7 verses tonight.

On a fun note I took the kids to the "local" bee fellowship over the weekend. It was a blast. The families were really nice and helpful and the kids are even more excited now.

So - how's it going where you are!?

I hate to thread jack, but do any of you know of a kids bible (preferably) that does not have the verse numbers buried in the text of the scripture? My 7yo has a really hard time finding scripture in the NIV bible I have. I don't blame her, as I quit using that and got myself a large print NKJV. That bible (NKJV) has the numbers to the left side of the text and is easier to find your verse. I wanted to get her a new bible for her birthday (Oct) but I swear every bible at Lifeway has the numbers buried in the text. And you would think the publishers would at least make the numbers bold print, but no.

Any ideas?

• 4 weeks later...

Just bumping for fun! Anyone still hanging in there? Studying?! Memorizing?

I think we're basically on track. We're up to date with our study and memory verses, but not much beyond that. We are LOVING the study and are learning a ton. I am totally and completely intimidated by the test portion of the local contest. I found some great prep tests on Quizlet, but honestly, I just don't see where we're going to find MORE time to study, LOL!!!

I hope everyone else is having fun and learning a lot. We will DEFINITELY be doing this again next year!!!

• 3 weeks later...