Menu

Preparing for our first testing experience next month

violamama

We are gearing up for testing almost exactly a month from now.

It will be my 7 year old son's first time testing. He's not the strongest reader, and I'm a little nervous about him focusing on this for 3 hours.

I won't be surprised if he does a little of the test and then draws patterns on the paper or something like that.

We have the practice test, but what else should we do? Anybody have things they wish they had done when they were at this point?

Thanks!

My oldest two are testing today and tomorrow. My oldest was in private school for K, 1, and 2, so she's used to standardized tests. When I told her that she would be taking one this year, she got excited--she can't wait. LOL My DS was only in private school for K. He did do a standardized test, and did very well on it, but when I told him about testing this year, he freaked out. Once I explained to him that this test was to test me, not him, he calmed down, but I'm worried about him (he's 8--testing 2nd grade). He's not the strongest reader, and he tends to work himself up for no reason if he doesn't know something. I ordered practice tests, but what they sent me was only a sampling of what type of questions will be on the tests, so I'm bummed about that. I was hoping to give them a practice test at home first, but all they've done is look over the format of the questions and the type of questions that will be on the test.

What I told my DS is true. I'm not going to use these test results as an indicator of how they're doing. This is more for me to see where I may have dropped the ball, and for them to have experience in taking a standardized test.

Why do I worry so much though? My biggest worry is that my DS, who's extremely shy will be under pressure around people he doesn't know. My husband says that this is what he needs. No Mommy there to hold his hand. I agree, in a way, but it breaks my heart to think of him being lost or confused and too shy to ask a question. Ugh. I really do need to cut the cord. LOL

Little kids are going to be little kids. I tested mine at home until my younger one was 10 because they were so easily distracted that I knew that the results wouldn't be good. That way I could do a section at a time if need be. And we did the CAT-E from Seton when they were younger because it is shorter.

If you are set up for group testing, there really isn't a lot you can do to keep them on task on that day. Make sure that they eat a good breakfast and that they feel OK with the proctor if they have questions or need to go to the bathroom. A good proctor will do what they can to keep them on task, but it is tough if they have a room of little kids to oversee. The group that I proctor makes sure that the proctor-to-student ratio is low for the younger ones.

I'm fortunate to live in a state which doesn't require testing. We test starting at the 3rd/4th grade level & do it every other year.

I am able to test at home, so we break it up over several days.

I make sure the kids know this isn't part of their "grade" and just to do their best. My oldest three are all girls and none have a focus issue (for this type of thing anyway).

I was worried about dd#2's math anxiety kicking in. She started hyperventilating, but quickly got herself under control & barreled through. The individual testing sections were pretty short (ITBS), so she only freaked out for a bit before letting it go and moving on.

I wouldn't stress too much or you might pass on your feelings to your son. Relax as much as you can!

Thanks, all. Good food for thought here.

We don't have to test until third grade but want to get in some practice for a few years first. I think we have to do it outside the home with official test proctors, but I will look into that.

I've started telling him about what it will be like, and emphasizing that the test is about my teaching and our curriculum and not him.

Thanks again.

Well, our first testing day went great. My dd didn't know some of the science questions, which we expected because we've been doing Apologia, which focuses on one thing for the entire year.

My ds, whom I was so worried about, loved taking the test and can't wait to go back today. Seriously? Why did I worry? I guess these types of things are harder on the Mom than they are on the child.

Now I'm worried about getting the results. I know that I can't use the Science or History questions as a guide because we do things much differently than the PS system. But what if they do poorly in the 3Rs? If they don't do well, I know that my dh is going to flip. My dd always scored way above grade level when she tested in the private school, and my ds scored way above grade level on his one test in K. If they don't score comparatively, I know my dh is going to freak. I'm keeping my fingers crossed...