Menu

Anyone do science using Christian Liberty Press' Nature Readers?

I want something simple and very Charlotte Mason next year for my 1st and 4th grade kids for Science. I was wondering if anyone has used the Christian Liberty Press Nature Readers as a jumping off point for Science? If so, what did you do? Are there lesson plans somewhere?

Did you visit places?

Read additional books?

Write reports?

Watch videos?

Do science activities?

Make display boards?

I would love some ideas!

I use them for fun nature stories. I have my son narrate them and/or draw a picture. I don't really use it as a complete curriculum, though I'm sure it could be. It seems to be pretty easy to expand on what is written. I love that the books are written as stories.

I believe, that from book 4 on, there are questions at the end of each story or chapter. Ok, I just checked. Books 4 & 5 have questions at the end of each lesson.

Oh, we will also look up the bug in the bug dictionary or another bug book that we have here. We're at the beginning of book one and it covers bugs. :)

SCM's 106 Days of Creation uses one of the Nature Study books. It's only one book of many used in the guide, but you might be interested in it since it looks nature-heavy. My plan for next year is to use it (along with Considering God's Creation) and add in some living books. I looked all over the internet for plans and ideas using living books, but didn't find much. Between 106 Days and CGC, I should have plenty to choose from!

I did find a couple sites you might be interested in. This one is for K/1st, but it might give you some ideas: http://reflectionsfr...sson-plans.html

I also think these notebook pages look neat, but they are pretty pricey! http://www.homeschoo...m/aNature2.html

We LOVE the CLNR. I used to read them to my children and have them narrate. Now my youngest three are reading them on their own and sometimes drawing a picture of what they've read or doing a written narration. We don't use them as our main science curriculum, but they perhaps could be. I think they are a really great transition tool -- transitioning from me doing all the reading for them, to them becoming more independent with that.