Menu

Book recommendations re: ADD/ADHD

DS has definite ADHD tendencies, not surprising because I do to. Problem is, dh is a very organized, linear-thinking type, and he tends to assume that if ds is being inattentive it is because he is choosing to be that way. I need some books that dh can read that will both validate the reality of ADHD and give him ideas for working with ds on issues that are bothering him (dh).

The Barkley book above is good. But what I think will help your DH even more is the Hallowell book Superpatenting for ADHD

I actually have the Superparenting book out from the library right now, but on CD--I think I need to get it in book form if I want DH to read it. Thanks for the endorsement, I haven't actually started listening to it yet.

Coursera has a free adhd class running right now. It's taught by a doc, which might have some credibility with your dh.

You know the other thing you can do on your end is simply stop talking about it. It's not like you have to go to your dh and tell him the whole low-down on the day and all your frustrations. You don't have a homeschooling relationship with him. It's ok to talk about those frustrations with someone ELSE, a mom here on the boards or irl who will GET it. Even if your kid had NO labels, reality is not every man is interested or wants to engage with our homeschooling. In fact, based on the polls here on the boards, I'd say those kind of men are rare. ;) When the dh does interact, you get those pat answers like that, because he's not fully in the situation, doesn't have to live with the consequences, and is just trying to help. So instead don't make him solve a problem about which he doesn't have full information. Take that problem and those discussions to someone who IS more in the know. For your conversations with dh, stick to projects done, funny stories about the day, your sore feet, whatever.

Just saying.

Does your DH have a CD player in the car and willing to listen to it while commuting? The book is light enough to be listened to, as opposed to Dr.Barkley's information-dense books which require re-reading and a highlighter. Superparenting is like "ADHD is a gift. Here are anecdotes and ideas to make it positive for your child" while Dr.Barkley is more like "ADHD is a serious disorder and you need to take charge. Here is a lot of information you will need to keep referring to about medication and how to cope with this disorder."

I actually have the Superparenting book out from the library right now, but on CD--I think I need to get it in book form if I want DH to read it. Thanks for the endorsement, I haven't actually started listening to it yet.

That Coursera course is very educational but theoretical so far. I don't know if the future videos will give your DH practical ideas on how to work on the issues bothering him with your DS.

Coursera has a free adhd class running right now. It's taught by a doc, which might have some credibility with your dh.