Menu

Which CC math course?

Oldest dd would like to take an Algebra class through the CC this summer in order to be done with her high school math. The problem is I have no idea which math to sign her up for! There is MAT 122 (Intermediate Algebra), MAT 142 (College Math) and MAT 152 (College Algebra).

DD does fine in math - usually As or high Bs. Obviously she would like to take just one math course and be done with that requirement rather than take one of the lower level courses and still have to take MAT 152.

Any input from those who've had dc use college classes for high school credit?

Here you have to register and sit for the math placement tests for dual enroll. Depending on the results of the placement tests, your child would be routed to the appropriate class. The samples for the placement tests are on the community colleges websites. Summer slots might fill up very fast. Its better to get the placement tests done as soon as possible if your daughter is looking at this summer.

My local CC uses ACT math scores for placement. Their College Math course has a minimum ACT math score of 19 as a prerequisite, in addition to high school level Algebra I and II. The College Algebra course is intended for non-STEM majors and has a minimum ACT math score of 21. Finally, the Precalculus Algebra is intended for STEM majors and has a minimum ACT math score of 23. Only the latter two provide credit transferable to a state 4-year school.

My local CC uses ACT math scores for placement. Their College Math course has a minimum ACT math score of 19 as a prerequisite, in addition to high school level Algebra I and II. The College Algebra course is intended for non-STEM majors and has a minimum ACT math score of 21. Finally, the Precalculus Algebra is intended for STEM majors and has a minimum ACT math score of 23. Only the latter two provide credit transferable to a state 4-year school.

Ours uses ACT or SAT scores for placement, too. And the policies are similar.

As I understand it, "Intermediate Algebra" does not offer credit towards a degree.