Menu

What to substitute for Call of the Wild?

My daughter read "To Light a Fire" a few years ago and really doesn't want to read The Call of the Wild. She won't want to read anything else by Jack London either. Since we are only spending one year on American Literature and there is so much out there, I am sure the hive mind can come up with great suggestions for a substitute. One book that I considered but it is too long is THe Grapes of Wrath but I will probably just have to save that for summer reading.

My daughter read "To Light a Fire" a few years ago and really doesn't want to read The Call of the Wild. She won't want to read anything else by Jack London either. Since we are only spending one year on American Literature and there is so much out there, I am sure the hive mind can come up with great suggestions for a substitute. One book that I considered but it is too long is THe Grapes of Wrath but I will probably just have to save that for summer reading.

I don't know what other books you are planning to have her read, but if I were planning an American Lit course, To Kill A Mockingbird would be first on my list. Are you trying to substitute with another book in the same genre? time period? or worldview? or does it not matter? If it doesn't matter, you might consider letting her make her own choice from a list.

She did To Kill a Mockingbird last year in Movies and Literature Class.

Her American readings so far and already planned are :

Autobiography of Ben Franklin

Rip Van Winkle and Sleepy Hollow

Tom Sawyer

Huckleberry Finn

Helen Keller

Edger Allen Poe stories

The Scarlet Letter

Moby Dick

Uncle Tom's Cabin

Red Badge of Courage

Frederick Douglas Book (don't recall the title)

Farenheit 451

and probably a few more I can't remember. I want something not too long, probably in 20th century.

I would do a play like Our Town or The Crucible. Or, I would go with something modern like Alas Babylon.

She did To Kill a Mockingbird last year in Movies and Literature Class.

Her American readings so far and already planned are :

Autobiography of Ben Franklin

Rip Van Winkle and Sleepy Hollow

Tom Sawyer

Huckleberry Finn

Helen Keller

Edger Allen Poe stories

The Scarlet Letter

Moby Dick

Uncle Tom's Cabin

Red Badge of Courage

Frederick Douglas Book (don't recall the title)

Farenheit 451

and probably a few more I can't remember. I want something not too long, probably in 20th century.

1. The Great Gatsby!!!

Other suggestions are:

The Country of Pointed Firs by Sarah Orne Jewett,

The House of Mirth or Ethan Frome by Edith Wharton,

Sister Carrie by Theodore Dreiser,

Their Eyes Were Watching God, by Zora Neale Hurston,

Daisy Miller by Henry James (who is American, though he lived abroad)

As I Lay Dying by William Faulkner

Autobiography of an Ex-Colored Man (I can't remember the author's name)

short stories by Katherine Mansfield, Katherine Anne Porter, Eudora Welty, Flannery O'Connor, William Faulkner, John Steinbeck, Ernest Hemingway

Plays by Arthur Miller, Lillian Hellman and Tennesse Williams, and the play Raisin in the Sun by L. Hansberry

If you want to stay with the outdoors theme- I really liked Tischa. My friends said they all read it when they were about that age. I had never heard of it. Kind of memoirs of an earlier time in Alaska. The woman was interviewed when she was quite elderly. I don't think it's on anyone's radar screen anymore, but its a wonderful story about a young teacher hired to work way out in Alaska and her attempts to be kind to the Native Americans that were there. (I don't know if it's entirely true--but I couldn't put it down) Then the other one who is of ____ of The Steppe. (she emigrated to NY and wrote the book) I loved it and it was her memoirs also. (this is the best part of homescooling IMHO)

If you want to stay with the outdoors theme- I really liked Tischa. My friends said they all read it when they were about that age. I had never heard of it. Kind of memoirs of an earlier time in Alaska. The woman was interviewed when she was quite elderly. I don't think it's on anyone's radar screen anymore, but its a wonderful story about a young teacher hired to work way out in Alaska and her attempts to be kind to the Native Americans that were there. (I don't know if it's entirely true--but I couldn't put it down)

:iagree:

I second the recommendation for Tischa.

SHe read THe Gift of the Magi last year for her movies and Literature class.

I don't thik we need an outdoor story particularly, just not an animal abuse story or soem other very depressing subject. I will be looking into these suggestions. It seems that she will probably be doing LL AMerican Lit mid-late 19th century and the last book they have them read is The Call of the Wild. I would have her read something else.

SHe read THe Gift of the Magi last year for her movies and Literature class.

I don't thik we need an outdoor story particularly, just not an animal abuse story or soem other very depressing subject. I will be looking into these suggestions. It seems that she will probably be doing LL AMerican Lit mid-late 19th century and the last book they have them read is The Call of the Wild. I would have her read something else.

If you don't want depressing stories, I'd skip Steinbeck. My dh does say that Travels with Charlie by Steinbeck is lighthearted, but I won't touch even that after reading 2 or 3 other Steinbeck books!

"Travels with Charley" is MUCH more lighthearted than other Steinbeck works. I think because it is non-fiction.

"Our Town" was written in the the 30's but is set earlier than that. It is a Not-to-be-missed work. Both of my teens quote from it all the time.

There's so much happening - content-wise and theatre technique-wise. We were fortunate to see it here in Seattle a few years ago with Tom Skerrit as the Stage Manager (an actual role in the play). Wonderful!

kate in Seattle