Menu

Fit day

Snickerdoodle

On Fitday it says I need to eat 2600 for my activity level. I just entered my breakfast and it says I ate 640 calories. Who knew 70% dark chocolate was so calorie dense?

Actually, I'm just doing this for a week to see what happens. I've never done calorie counting or anything like that and I'm just curious to see the stats on the vitamin/mineral levels and just the overall calorie level of food that I'm eating.

Fascinating.

Is anyone doing something similar? Which program are you using? Is it easy to use with homemade food?

I've used Myfitnesspal, which you can use on the computer or as an app on your phone/ipad. I don't use it all of the time, but it is interesting to see how many calories you actually eat. I didn't find it too hard to put in my homemade food. Often I just found something close, but you are able to put in recipes and see how many calories it is.

I would say the best part about counting calories is that it makes you more conscious of what you eat. Snacks and second helpings add up fast.

I used FitDay sporadically for a few years but recently switched to My Fitness Pal. MFP's database is so much better. It's updated by users; chances are good that any product you buy in the grocery store is already in the database. With FitDay, I had to enter in all of the nutritional info for a lot of the specific brands that I ate. And when I entered the info, it was in my own record only--no one else could benefit from it (unlike MFP). It's also very easy to enter a recipe in MFP to calculate the nutritional info.

I use Spark People. It's similar to My Fitness Pal with the database that is user contributed to and it is rare that I have to enter anything myself. There is a recipe calculator on the site that I use if I make something homemade and want to know the nutrition. I just plug in the ingredients and divide into servings. I cannot lose weight unless I track my calories because I will willfully overeat by telling myself it wasn't that much, etc. Tracking the foods I eat keeps me honest and I force myself to track it all.