Menu

Logic workbook/curriculum for a visually-oriented child?

m0mmaBuck

I'm looking for something for my 5th grader that is not too "wordy." He is a visual-spatial/kinesthetic learner and struggles with riddles and stories because he gets "lost" in all of the verbage. I was thinking of trying Building Thinking Skills Level 2 but am open to other suggestions.

We use Critical Thinking Press, Prufrock Press, and Tin Man Press. All of these have pictorial workbooks in them somewhere.

What we use/are planning to get/thinking about:

Critical Thinking through Science

Mathematical Reasoning

More of Lollipop Logic

Some more Tin Man Press products.

We are using early elementary though, and there are SO many more choices with these companies once you get up to middle school. I just browse through their entire online catalogs (as well as Rainbow Resource) and download lots of samples of anything that looks remotely interesting, then spend a bit of time going through the samples later.

I also look through currclick, we currently use the Anti-Coloring Series (my daughters favourite resource, she could probably do all of the books in a day if I allowed her, so I slowly pace it between other stuff like the above) and will eventually get some things like Right-Brained Math.

I also keep an eye out for cartoon based maths like Beast Academy. Theres a japenese cartoon series for Algebra etc, and I found "I love Hands-on Math!" which has cartoons in it that remind me a bit of kawaii style.

As for actual serious formal logic, I know a number of programs, but none I can think of that are visually-oriented. I haven't looked at Critical Thinking Co, but I'm pretty sure theres a couple of good logic-based books in the middle grades, and I *think* one is quite pictorial, but not certain, as we are not at that stage yet.

I hope you get a reply thats a bit more helpful than mine!

xxx

My first thought is that games would be better than workbooks if words are a problem. There are so many logic games out there - and many of them are solo games like Rush Hour. And obviously things like chess and Mastermind would be good too.