Menu

Geography study for the younger set?

We do geography with history and I just bought an Evan-Moor book, but I am hoping to fond something more comprehensive for youngers. I love Beautiful Feet's study, but it is a bit too old for dd. We could adapt it, but would rather save it for later. Anything else I could consider? This is something I would do 1x or 2x weekly over the course of a year. TIA!

My under-8 set (okay, and the 9-10yo too) really enjoyed the state books from Sleeping Bear Press. They could be adapted for slightly older children by having the child pick a few topics upon which to do further research. http://www.amazon.com/Is-Keystonel-Pennsylvania-Alphabet-Discover/dp/1585361046/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1365211121&sr=8-1&keywords=sleeping+bear+press+key+is+for+keystone

Some good ideas here too: http://ebeth.typepad.com/serendipity/g_is_for_geography/

I used a free vintage text called Home Geography for Primary Grades by C.C. Long this year (I think Stripe had originally posted the link about a year ago). I loved it. It was simple to read and easy for them to understand. It covered things beyond what I consider the typical scope of geography. It was sweet, easy, and had surprising depth to it.

We also used the Geography songs. . .we did the United States one to learn the states and capitals.

I made Book Notes for Paddle-to-the-Sea if you'd like to print those. They are on my blog (A Mind in the Light) under Book Notes. I'm not sure when I'll have it ready, but my next book by Holling C. Holling will be Tree in the Trail. :)

And I think that homeschool share has a lapbook for Seabird, so this would cover almost all of the books which are included in the BF guide. I will make a guide for Minn of the Mississippi, but I'm not sure when I will get to this.

I also put together three books for Year 3 on my blog and created a geography schedule for it. You can also find this under Book Notes. (I have a geography schedule for Year 1 too and I could make one for Year 2 fairly quickly since it would be primarily based on the two books for Year 2 geography.)

Here :http://amindinthelight.blogspot.jp/

We do geography with history and I just bought an Evan-Moor book, but I am hoping to fond something more comprehensive for youngers. I love Beautiful Feet's study, but it is a bit too old for dd. We could adapt it, but would rather save it for later. Anything else I could consider? This is something I would do 1x or 2x weekly over the course of a year. TIA!

I've compiled a list of free geography curriculum here, but I'm not sure if anything there will meet your definition of comprehensive. My approach to geography is to teach it in context with history and science.

We used this book with a second grader one year, alternating with Rod and Staff's second grade Our Father's World book.

Something like Confession of a Homeschooler's Expedition Earth or Galloping the Globe offers more of a unit study which focuses on cultural geography. You could add in some outline maps, too. If you are only working 1-2 times a week, you could spread all of these options out over several years.