Menu

Just bought tickets to Les Misérables (Broadway) in Vancouver BC

milovany

I'm taking our 15 and 17 yo daughters up for a fun weekend away in June. We're taking a friend (my age) from church with us, too. We all loved the movie and this will be our first live theatrical performance on this grand of a scale. We leave on Amtrak from Seattle early on a Friday morning, the play is Saturday at 2:00pm. Our seats are in the balcony, four rows back. We don't have to leave until Sunday evening, so we're also planning on going to a Greek Orthodox church Sunday morning. At some point, we may try and get out to Granville Island or take the boat across to North Vancouver to see an uncle and/or cousin that live there. I want to do a nice dinner out on Saturday, too. I found a nice hostel downtown just 1-1/2 blocks from the theater and verified with my cousin that it's in a good neighborhood. SO, so excited.

The only "glitch" at this point is that I didn't realize I'd need my 17yo dd's passport number to buy the train tickets. She doesn't have one yet and our plan was to go in next week to apply (the 15yo doesn't need a passport yet). I think I'll still purchase the other three train tickets and trust that there will still be one available in 4-6 weeks (please, Lord).

Anyone want to come drive us two hours to the train station that morning? We have to leave here at 4:30 a.m. :D

Dd and I saw it last year when it was in Seattle. It was the BEST musical we've seen so far. I'm sure you'll love it. And, the train ride and Vancouver will also be really fun!! I used to live in Bellingham and went to Vancouver pretty often. Haven't been there in years, now. We keep saying we're going to get passports, but never follow through. It was so much easier before they were mandatory.

I thought it was pretty awesome when I saw it last fall, but it is not the original Broadway-level spectacle. The sets have been majorly trimmed down and about half an hour has been cut out of it, noticeable if you've listened to the full broadway soundtrack dozens of times or saw it in an earlier incarnation.

It was still awesome, I'd never seen it before. DH just found it a bit of a letdown compared to when he saw it as a teenager. I guarantee you'll like Valjean and Javier better in the stage production than in the movie, because the stage cast can actually sing.