Menu

Outsourcing Paper grading?

There are several online sources that do this including Cindy Marsh's Writing Assessment Services.

If you look on the IEW website and click on "Instructors" you can search on the list of their registered instructors and perhaps find someone local who could do this. Some of the folks there will read papers and go over them one-on-one with you via email, phone, or in-person.

You can also call local private schools or colleges to see if they have someone.

You basically want a writing tutor that you can hire on an as-needed basis. I used to do this for an hourly rate, so sometimes they would give me 2-3 papers at a time from multiple students. I stopped doing it because the logistics weren't working for me, but I have several local friends who still do this.

I've used Write at Home and Cindy Marsh; both were marginal. I have found a writing tutor for my oldest and I am really pleased! I called our local university's (Univ of Texas) RHETORIC department and asked for a grad student tutor. I told them exactly what I wanted - ds was already a pretty good writer - and she has been excellent and has really pushed him. Initially, I gave the assignments and she tutored. But it turned out her assignments and instructions were so much better than mine, I just turned it over to her. She has not actually graded any papers, but I didn't ask for that. I just wanted tutoring.

I've used both Cindy Marsch (8th grade) and Write at Home (9th grade). I liked both. Write at Home was less expensive, possibly less detailed. I haven't figured out where I saved CM's assessments :crying: , but I do know where I saved the WaH assessments. Feel free to PM me with your email address, and I will forward you some.

I asked this same question last year. A member of this board sent me a PM. She is a community college professor and offered me her grading services. Here is her website www.teachaheart.org. It has been a great relationship. I send her a check and a final draft of my daughter's English papers. She has given me full page comments and a final grade using a rubric she uses for her freshmen student. I keep the grade she issues as final for my daughter's records.

What has truly been wonderful is her comments fall right in line with what I've told my daughter she needs to do to improve her writing. The fact that is comes from the college professor adds validity to my comments in my daughter's eyes. Her final grades have been a confidence booster in her ability to write good papers.

I asked this same question last year. A member of this board sent me a PM. She is a community college professor and offered me her grading services. Here is her website www.teachaheart.org. It has been a great relationship. I send her a check and a final draft of my daughter's English papers. She has given me full page comments and a final grade using a rubric she uses for her freshmen student. I keep the grade she issues as final for my daughter's records.

What has truly been wonderful is her comments fall right in line with what I've told my daughter she needs to do to improve her writing. The fact that is comes from the college professor adds validity to my comments in my daughter's eyes. Her final grades have been a confidence booster in her ability to write good papers.

Thanks!