Menu

MCT: It sounds dreamy. Will it work for us?

Hedgehogs4

I've been reading the MCT threads and wondering, hmmm?

I have two extremely articulate children who have wonderful vocabularies, read and listen to great literature, and are the children of generations of English teachers, writers, and lawyers, so MCT sounds like it would feather our language nest.

My dd will be 8 in May and is reading well. (Beverly Cleary and Beatrix Potter are recent reads) I have not begun grammar with her. She has just completed WWE1 and started 2.

DS 11 is in WWS and AG. He does very well in AG, but he hates the tedium of it. I also would love to do Caesar's English with him, but wonder if it is too late to start for him. He will be 12 in August.

What says the Hive? To MCT or not to MCT? If so, how do we start? It is spendy, and I don't think they will be at our convention for me to put hands on. Can I return? Will I want to?

I've been reading the MCT threads and wondering, hmmm?

I have two extremely articulate children who have wonderful vocabularies, read and listen to great literature, and are the children of generations of English teachers, writers, and lawyers, so MCT sounds like it would feather our language nest.

Yes! MCT would indeed be dreamy for you!

Yes! MCT would indeed be dreamy for you!

Okay...I thought so, but let me ask you this, practically speaking...Would my 11 yo need to start in the town / voyage level? Also, looking at the recommendations they give, it seems like it is a pretty packed curriculum. Would we have time for TOG? I am fine with paring something down, but how independent can a student be working with it, and how much time does it take to complete what is laid out for a week? We still have math, spelling, Fallacy Detective, Science, etc., and I don't want to buy it because I have stars in my eyes, kwim?

Would my 11 yo need to start in the town / voyage level? Also, looking at the recommendations they give, it seems like it is a pretty packed curriculum. Would we have time for TOG? I am fine with paring something down, but how independent can a student be working with it, and how much time does it take to complete what is laid out for a week? We still have math, spelling, Fallacy Detective, Science, etc., and I don't want to buy it because I have stars in my eyes, kwim?

I hope someone with more BTDT experience chimes in on whether Town or Voyage is better for your 11yo.

In my experience, MCT is not independent, but meant to be read and discussed together. As for scheduling, there isn't a prescribed schedule for a week or an amount of material to cover. You simply go through at an appropriate pace for your student, and because you're discussing things with the student as part of the curriculum, you have a good feel for what that pace should be.

But it is dreamy ... :-)

i started homeschooling my older son in 8th grade, and we used paragraph town (because he really needed it). His reading level is high, but his writing and logic were way behind. The following year we used the full voyage level, and it was a reasonable level for him.

I dont know what TOG is . . . but i think it usually took us about 20 - 30 minutes a day? the schedules people wrote up had you going through the grammar book first (because everything else builds on that) and we went through Grammar Voyage much more quickly than the person had scheduled. then we would do one day each of poetry, vocab and practice, and two days on writing (on for the reading and one for doing the assignment), plus he would study words and roots independently.

We actually started with The Magic Lens and Word Within the Word in sixth grade! Dd's expressive vocabulary, both verbal and written, was already very large and her grammar was very strong (years of private school). I knew that I would lose her interest if she were to start at a lower level.

I don't think you need the entire package, but I would start with the books Sentence Island, Practice Island and Building Language. They are deceptively far more advanced than they look. Plus they are a LOT on fun! You can get through these fairly quickly and move onto Paragraph Town and Practice, plus CE, then onto Voyage level. If you are interested in poetry; Music of the Spheres is at Island level, but once again more advanced than it looks.