Menu

Vocabulary for SAT-how to study??What to use for middle school

Hi, I have two questions for veteran moms who have had SAT success. First off, what is the best resource to use for middle school (6th grade) to begin developing vocabulary for SAT/ACT testing? Wordly Wise, Vocabulary Roots, or something else?

Second, I found the SAT vocabulary lessons by Advanced Placement Strategies. Has anyone ever seen these or used these? This would be for my 10th and soon to be 9th grader. If I use these, they are basically 20 vocabulary words, then matching exercises and then fill in the blank. My question is this---what is the best way to learn the words? My daughter hates the index card method! I was using Direct Hits and having her write sentences for each vocabulary-but then I found these lessons. Any thoughts?

Thanks for any feedback!!!

pam

DD was successful (CR 790) through simply reading copious amounts of quality literature from various periods and genres.

The immense vocabulary she built this way is retained long term and incorporated into her active vocabulary.

She never used a single "vocabulary program".

simply reading copious amounts of quality literature from various periods and genres.

:iagree: Everyone I know who scored high in critical reading has read LOTS of classics, with a heavy emphasis on 18th - 19th century British (and works that were translated into English in that period)

They've also had at least one year of Latin and never did a vocab program.

DD was successful (CR 790) through simply reading copious amounts of quality literature from various periods and genres.

The immense vocabulary she built this way is retained long term and incorporated into her active vocabulary.

This is similar to my son (CR 800), although in high school he read significantly more non-fiction than fiction, just because that was his preference. He didn't study Latin and he read the Direct Hits books for fun the summer before the PSAT and the SAT.