Menu

Grocery Poll ~ for those on a non-processed, non-standard, or special foods diet?

Ann.without.an.e

Grocery budget poll (for those on a healthy or non-standard diet)  

117 members have voted

1. 1. How much do you spend (food only) per person/per month.

• $100 or less
    • $101-$125
    • $126-$150
    • $151-$175
    • $176-$200
    • $201-$225
    • $226-250
    • More than $250 per person per month

We spend a lot more than most people I know. We are 100% gf. We tend to eat low carb compared to most. We've added more carbs lately for the kids as they need it.

I also buy organic as much as possible. The dirty dozen, dairy, and meat (including eggs) are always organic/natural (no added hormones etc).

I squeeze the budget everywhere else to buy food.

We spend about $500 a month for a family of 5 (three of them are 5 and under so they aren't eating adult portions). All of our meat is grassed from a local farm and our eggs and raw milk are from a local source. We buy produce and a few pantry items from the grocery store. I'd say our produce is about 75% organic. We eat very little grain and tend to rely more on almond and coconut flour, which we get from Amazon. I use Amazon for most of our pantry staples since their prices tend to beat even Costco (once gas is factored in). We live about 1.5 hours from Costco so we don't go often but when we do we stock up on organic produce, Kerrygold butter, cheese, nuts, and dried fruit. I think the primary reason we don't spend more is because I make the majority of our food from scratch. We don't buy anything packaged (even if it is organic) so while we spend less, a good portion of my time is spent making yogurt, grain free muffins, crackers, etc. There are plenty of times when I'd much rather add $200 to our monthly bill and give myself a break! I also stick to a pretty strict meal plan so while there might be a lack of variety, it cuts does on the amount of food we have to buy. I pick two breakfasts and two lunches for the week and we just alternate those every other day for seven days. I pick seven dinners and make double portions so that we can repeat those same meals on the second week.

In my family we have severe food allergies., texture issues., vegans., low salt needs and pre~diabetes. It isn't pretty.

I can completely sympathize with you here. We face the same issues and now younger ds is allergic to something and we don't know what? We go for allergy testing next week and I am just praying, "please, oh please don't let it be eggs, almonds, or cashews". Ugh!

I voted but it is because we have to eat a specific diet, which is more expensive. My dd is allergic to citric acid, sodium citrate, potassium citrate. Those ingredients are naturally in a number of fruits but also added to many foods. So, for example, mac and cheese which she does like to eat occasionally- we have to buy the 5 dollar frozen kind made by a organic maker. Even with meats it makes a difference. I can't buy anything injected with mystery juices. I have to buy one type of half and half, I always have to buy real cheese, not American cheese. I have to substitute an expensive white Balsamic vinegar in recipes calling for some lemon instead of actually using lemons. There are lots of things I had to change.

Wow, I bet that was a difficult allergy to peg and figure out? It is in ALOT of things too!

What does it look like in your mind? I'm having trouble coming up with what I could serve that would cost $100 a day for 7 people. We have some dietary necessities but I'm not voting here. I serve Hamburger Helper on occasion, which we alternate with healthy, non-processed stuff. Even when we buy expensive fish or meat, even with the added cost for organic produce, I'm having trouble coming up with that cost.

I'd really like to see a sample day's menu to see what I'm missing. (I love sample menus anyways, so this is just an excuse to ask for one! :laugh: ) Our local food prices are low and we eat seasonally, so it's probably something obvious that I'm blanking on.

Gee, I have a difficult time imagining life with a grocery budget that large but I think you could hit that if you....

bought all organic, all grassfed, all local, etc.

shopped at Whole Foods, Earthfare, etc.

used lots of honey and/or real maple syrup

used organic raw milks and cheeses

ate lots of freshies ~ if we had a budget that generous then my family could put away a serious amount of fresh fruit and veggies (blueberries and strawberries, etc)

Nuts and nut flours are expensive too :)

Or if you did almost none of those things and you lived in a HCOL area.

Gee, I have a difficult time imagining life with a grocery budget that large but I think you could hit that if you....

bought all organic, all grassfed, all local, etc.

shopped at Whole Foods, Earthfare, etc.

used lots of honey and/or real maple syrup

used organic raw milks and cheeses

ate lots of freshies ~ if we had a budget that generous then my family could put away a serious amount of fresh fruit and veggies (blueberries and strawberries, etc)

Nuts and nut flours are expensive too :)

DS and I are gluten free. We went from eating a lot of processed foods to almost 100% made from scratch foods. The amount I selected per person is based on having to buy multiple specialty flours as well as fresh vegetables and fruits.

DH (who was recently tested for prostate cancer) was told he needs to change his diet as well (not to GF but less protein, less fast food (he eats in a lot of restaurants and fast food places due to work) and more fruits and vegetables).

ETA: we rarely buy meat which reduces the amount I spend at the store. DH and DS hunt deer and have been successful every year. This is our main source of meat. Every now and then I buy boneless, skinless chicken breasts when they are one sale.