Menu

Teaching Textbooks for 8 yr old or Better for Higher Grades?

NightOwlMama

There's no real difference between the higher & lower grades; the program works pretty much the same at every level (except for Geometry & Precalc, which are still the older format — no online grading).

Make sure to do the placement test, though, because it tends to run about a grade "behind' other programs (and up to 2 grades behind the stronger programs like Singapore & MM).

Jackie

My dd used TT3 for 3rd grade. I wasn't keen on her using the computer even more than she does already, so we just bought the workbook and did that together. It was a good fit. Did the same thing for 4th. I have the CDs for fifth, so this year she was having a great time doing lessons on the computer, but by November she chose to go back to just using the workbook again.

My 3rd grader is using TT3 this year. (My 4th grader is also using TT4.) We like it. They like the little buddies at the top-left that they can change (e.g the buddy gives little incentives for getting the answer right, like the penguin melts out of his ice cube a little more every time they get a problem right). The lecture is surprisingly well done. The voice acting is not annoying or too repetitive. It's easy to understand, goes at a good pace, they can rewind the lecture and listen to the whole thing (or part of it) again if they want. They can use "hints" if they need it to answer a problem. They can see the whole problem worked out if need be. The program keeps track of the grade for the lesson. I don't let my kids move to the next lesson until they get at least a 90%. They rarely need to ask me a question but if they do, we watch the lecture together and usually it only takes a little bit of explaining and they are on their merry way. If they get less than 90% then I delete the answers of the missed problems (which only the parent can do with their password) and they do those problems again until they get 90% for the lesson.

Have you let your child try the demo on the TT website? Mine thought it was a wondrous video game or something. I had to tell them to take turns. LOL Of course the newness wears off, but they are still doing well with it. And I think it's nice that if they get sick of doing it on the computer at some point, you can do it on paper with the workbook if you want.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the comments, and to the OP for posting. In prep for switching to hs TT and MUS were the two math curricula I was torn between. I had my 2 DD try TT on the website, and they liked it. DD11 was surprised that she might be allowed to "play a game" to learn math. It looks expensive ($120-$150 per grade) compared to others I've seen, but right now I'm thinking of buying both TT and MUS so we can try them both. It really helps to hear about others' experiences with stuff.

Has anyone used it for 3rd grade? I keep hearing about how it is great for the higher grades but nothing about 3rd - 5th. Thanks!

My 3rd grader is using TT 3 this year. She loves it. We watch the lecture, do the work in the workbook, then go back to the cd to input her answers. We plan on TT 4 next year.

Thanks for the comments, and to the OP for posting. In prep for switching to hs TT and MUS were the two math curricula I was torn between. I had my 2 DD try TT on the website, and they liked it. DD11 was surprised that she might be allowed to "play a game" to learn math. It looks expensive ($120-$150 per grade) compared to others I've seen, but right now I'm thinking of buying both TT and MUS so we can try them both. It really helps to hear about others' experiences with stuff.

Keep in mind that TT & MUS are completely different in that TT is spiral and MUS is mastery. So...do you / your kids want spiral or mastery? But, it can be pretty hard to know sometimes without actually trying both ways.

My 3rd grader is using TT 3 this year. She loves it. We watch the lecture, do the work in the workbook, then go back to the cd to input her answers. We plan on TT 4 next year.

Keep in mind that TT & MUS are completely different in that TT is spiral and MUS is mastery. So...do you / your kids want spiral or mastery? But, it can be pretty hard to know sometimes without actually trying both ways.

:iagree: I love the manipulatives and explanations with MUS, but feel more comfortable with the more traditional scope and sequence of TT. And my kids do well with the spiral review.