Menu

How would you interpret this 7th grade ACT result

My dd12 who is in 7th gr took the ACT this Feb. and scored a composite score of 24. I'm trying to decide what she should take next year and also thinking ahead to high school. It seems like she might be ready for more high school level material rather than middle school so I thought I'd ask for opinions on this board.

Some background - she has been home schooling since 4th gr - before that was in PS. She has been interested in teaching as a career for the last few years, however this year has been part of a robotics club and has become more interested in science topics. We are doing Algebra 1 this year using Jacobs. She has not really enjoyed math much in the past but this year she says it is now her favorite subject.

My plan has been to do another year of Alg 1 next year using, maybe, Foerster's Alg. I thought that she probably wouldn't go into a science career so, therefore, would not need to go too high in math and so thought we might as well wait to do Geometry in 9th gr. Now I'm not sure what she will want to do and don't want to limit her by our choices now. I should add that her math score was the lowest one - 16, but she did score 23 on the science section.

I was also thinking about Literary Lessons from the Lord of the Rings for lit. For science I was thinking about the Science Shepherd Life Science course. We are doing the ACS middle school chemistry course and some physics using How Things Work and the Tiner book - Exploring the World of Physics.

I should add that we don't want to finish high school early. Also, the local CC is not a great option for dual enr. but we may be moving in a few years once my husband finishes his PhD and hopefully gets a job, so our options then might be better.

I guess my main questions are:

Would you think that this score means she is ready for more challenge?

Is it a good idea to take 2 years for Alg 1 or will this set her up to limit her options in the future?

Thanks for any ideas or opinions you may be able to give me

Trenna

That's a very strong score and I expect she will receive some awards and recognition for it. . The composite actually meets qualification for Davidson Young Scholars as a 7th grader (though they also have to have two qualifying subtest scores). That score probably puts a 7th grader around the 95% of the students taking the test. Keep in mind that is already a selected sample of students that are in the top 5% who are taking the test - so it is a very good score.

These scores do suggest she's done well with the education she has so far. So, instead of thinking of reworking everything take time to note what you are doing has been working! How far are you through the algebra book for this year. It isn't a race of course, but it is also true that the strongest students are not starting geometry in 9th grade. Even for nonmath students it has become much more common to take some calculus in high school. If she's thinking about selective colleges, or merit scholarships, it is good to think about four years of academics in core subjects. Here's an outline of high school requirements that might be helpful.

These scores do suggest she's done well with the education she has so far. So, instead of thinking of reworking everything take time to note what you are doing has been working! How far are you through the algebra book for this year. It isn't a race of course, but it is also true that the strongest students are not starting geometry in 9th grade. Even for nonmath students it has become much more common to take some calculus in high school. If she's thinking about selective colleges, or merit scholarships, it is good to think about four years of academics in core subjects. Here's an outline of high school requirementsthat might be helpful.

Thank you for those links. It is good to think that what we have been doing has been working for her and I need to keep this in mind. We are about half way through the Algebra book as we have been going fairly slowly. My plan has been to cover Algebra as thoroughly as possible but I don't want to limit her in so doing. It's more difficult to plan when you don't have a real clear picture of what their career choice will be, but I think most 12 year olds are probably undecided. Would it be possible to start Geometry next year but still keep working some on Algebra or is that too much to cover?

Thank you for those links. It is good to think that what we have been doing has been working for her and I need to keep this in mind. We are about half way through the Algebra book as we have been going fairly slowly. My plan has been to cover Algebra as thoroughly as possible but I don't want to limit her in so doing. It's more difficult to plan when you don't have a real clear picture of what their career choice will be, but I think most 12 year olds are probably undecided. Would it be possible to start Geometry next year but still keep working some on Algebra or is that too much to cover?

This is a report distributed by Duke Talent Search to give score distributions for the SAT and ACT for 7th graderswho were participating in the talent search (2011-12, but the distribution shouldn't differ that much).

I would not rush to get to the next thing. On the other hand, there isn't a compelling reason to hold a student back from a subject like math, just because they are young. My middle son started AoPS Algebra in 7th grade and will finish Algebra 2 at the end of 8th. He'll be doing Geometry in 9th grade alongside his 10th grade brother.

I'm only looking at what they are capable of and a little bit at what colleges might ask for. I'm trying hard not to compare to a hypothetical public schooled student. I'm definitely not worried that they will run out of math to study.

Oh the sequence for Geometry is a matter for some difference of opinion. Among other things, you might look at the guidelines for the program you're considering. For example, AoPS doesn't recommend starting their Geometry unless the student has finished the Intro to Algebra book, which covers Algebra 1 and 2 material. Other programs anticipate an Algebra 1, Geometry, Algebra 2 sequence and have a sequence that includes more algebra review in Algebra 2.

Would it be possible to start Geometry next year but still keep working some on Algebra or is that too much to cover?

I think it really just depends on her interest level and what else you are doing. For our family it has worked to sometimes do more of a subject in one year and less another year, but some kids like to keep it more the same every year. For sure you don't want to rush algebra or geometry though.

The main thing I'd take away from her testing is that it seems like she's a good solid tester. Many kids who score in that range in 7th grade end up scoring well into the 30s in high school. It will be good idea to plan her high school testing to make sure she takes the PSAT in 11th grade for National Merit and allows a little time for prep because she may be a good candidate for merit aid.

There is nothing wrong with doing geometry in 9th, but I don't see why to do a second year of algebra if she is doing well this first year. Foerster is not THAT much more challenging. If you want to postpone, I'd do something like the AOPS number theory/counting and probability books instead. Or maybe Jacobs Mathematics:A human endeavor, if she suddenly loves math now and really loves Jacobs.

Thanks for the suggestions and ideas. As math was not her favorite subject in years past, I thought Algebra was going to be more difficult for her and she would need plenty of time to cement it. She has done better with it than I thought and it's a bit of a surprise that it's her favorite right now. This new interest in science has also surprised me so I just want to make sure my old plans aren't going to limit things for her.

There is nothing wrong with doing geometry in 9th, but I don't see why to do a second year of algebra if she is doing well this first year. Foerster is not THAT much more challenging. If you want to postpone, I'd do something like the AOPS number theory/counting and probability books instead. Or maybe Jacobs Mathematics:A human endeavor, if she suddenly loves math now and really loves Jacobs.

I agree wholeheartedly...and this is what we are doing with our son (who scored very, very high on the ACT in 7th grade). His score did pull my head out of the sand, so I'm glad we did that. But I still fall firmly in the camp of "enjoy childhood, pursue delights and interests, and dabble in lots of different things". :) So I am trying to give my son a broad, interesting high school education. We are in no rush to get to calculus or beyond...although he could do it now (I have no doubt of this).

He spent a year and a half working through several algebra programs and then a year on geometry. Now he is working through Foerster's Alg. II book (fabulous applications in this text...we really like that) and doing AoPS Counting and Probability at the same time. Next year, he is taking AP Statistics and is also going to work through AoPS's Number Theory and parts of Jacobs Human Endeavor. I want this son to see how many different directions math can go. And science, too. And history, too. Etc. I know he will concentrate on a scientific field in college and have a rigid track for math and science then. So now is the time to explore!

So that's my 2 cents in a nutshell. Explore and enjoy these years! :)

My advice would be to set your plans according to her abilities keeping in mind that a certain amount of challenge keeps things from getting stale and too much challenge leads to frustration. Where those boundaries are will differ from child to child so I won't try to define them. Since my teens both want to attend college our plan blends their abilities with a nod to admissions expectations down the road. There is lots of fun math to pursue once you understand algebra-sounds like she will have some time to enjoy math beyond the basics if she wishes. The only other math advice I can think of is to get through algebra and geometry before the SAT comes into play, if that is a concern.

Please take the next piece of advice gently-test scores that indicate ability do not necessarily translate immediately into academic advancements. Keep in mind that with pre-teens and early teens you are going to be dealing with so much of their physical and emotional growth that academic abilities can be hidden by or take a back seat to the rest of the maturing process for a while. I wish I could explain it more elegantly but it can be frustrating and sometimes disheartening to see a test score that their daily lives don't seem to support.

Thank you all for the advice. I can really see the need to go at her pace and I think that's what we've been doing. I think this most recent uncertainty on my part was brought about, in part, by thinking we were definitely not heading in a STEM direction and then suddenly being not so sure due to her increased enjoyment of science, especially robotics, and math this year. This uncertainty, coupled with her scores on the test, made me fearful that our choices were going to limit what she could study at college by being too slow with math. Anyway, I'm going to think through all your advice, so thank you.

If you want to go deeper rather than plow through math levels, definitely look at AoPS and see how she likes it. You can sign up for Alcumus for free and have a go at the types of problems their books will cover. It covers more topics in a more challenging way that most curriculum.

BTW, we're also planning on using LLLOTR and Shepard's next year. :D

BTW, we're also planning on using LLLOTR and Shepard's next year. :D

Glad to know you're using these 2 also, they sure look like good programs. I'll have to get her to try Alcumus. I didn't know you could try for free. AOPS sounds great but I wasn't sure it would be her style, so this will be a good way to find out.