Menu

BBQ chicken sandwich recipe?

nertsmommy

I'm looking to make BBQ chicken (shredded) sandwiches. I thought I had sauce in the pantry, but I don't and I can't go get any so i need a recipe for BBQ sauce. Every recipe I've looked up calls for ketchup as the main ingredient for the sauce. I'd rather use the tomato sauce or tomato paste I have tons of. Does anyone have a good recipe? We usually use a sweet honey BBQ sauce so something like that.

Thanks.

I'm looking to make BBQ chicken (shredded) sandwiches. I thought I had sauce in the pantry, but I don't and I can't go get any so i need a recipe for BBQ sauce. Every recipe I've looked up calls for ketchup as the main ingredient for the sauce. I'd rather use the tomato sauce or tomato paste I have tons of. Does anyone have a good recipe? We usually use a sweet honey BBQ sauce so something like that.

Thanks.

OK, this sounds good! :thumbup: I have a great sloppy joe recipe. Now I'm wondering how sloppy joe "sauce" compares to bbq sauce.

OK, this sounds good! :thumbup: I have a great sloppy joe recipe. Now I'm wondering how sloppy joe "sauce" compares to bbq sauce.

Would you mind sharing your sloppy joe sauce recipe? I've been trying different ones to get away from buying Manwich (no one likes it but me). The ones I've tried so far everyone likes but me.

I have not tried this, but it has good reviews:

Original recipe makes 3 cupsChange Servings

• 1 cup cola-flavored carbonated beverage

• 1 cup canned tomato sauce

• 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste

• 1/4 cup butter

• 1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce

• 1/2 cup packed brown sugar

• 1/2 cup molasses

• 1/2 cup cider vinegar

• 2 1/2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar

• 1 1/2 tablespoons steak sauce

• 1 tablespoon yellow mustard

• 1 tablespoon chili powder

• 1 teaspoon dried savory

• 1 teaspoon onion powder

• 1 teaspoon garlic salt

• 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce

Directions

• In a large saucepan, mix together the cola, tomato sauce, tomato paste, butter, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, molasses, cider and balsamic vinegars, steak sauce, and mustard. Season with chili powder, savory, onion powder, garlic salt, and hot pepper sauce, and stir to blend. Cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until the mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a metal spoon.

I've played around with making homemade bbq sauce and have never landed on one that was a true keeper so I can't help you there. En route I did try this way of preparing the chicken and it's wonderful. We like the meat as is for sandwiches or with just a bit of storebought sauce spread on top once it's on the bun.

http://www.thekitchn.com/dinner-recipe-barbecue-pulled-chicken-in-the-oven-or-slow-cooker-recipes-from-the-kitchn-168003

Would you mind sharing your sloppy joe sauce recipe? I've been trying different ones to get away from buying Manwich (no one likes it but me). The ones I've tried so far everyone likes but me.

I sure will....let me look for it and I'll get back you.