Menu

Science for Theistic Evolutionists

Thanks, looks really interesting!

Question - RS7 = ??? in US grades.

I googled it, but I don't think "Audi" is the answer I'm looking for.

Year 7 in the UK is equivalent to Grade 6. :001_smile:

ETA: I have found the site to be easily adaptable for use between grade levels. YMMV

Thank you! So is all of this stuff free, or do they sell curriculum?

As far as I can tell it's all free and funded by the LASAR (Learning About Science and Religion) Project in collaboration with the Institute of Education, Reading University and The Faraday Institute for Science and Religion based at St. Edmund's College, Cambridge which is part of the University of Cambridge.

From the About Us page:

LASAR (Learning about Science and Religion) is a collaborative project between the Institute of Education, Reading University and the Faraday Institute for Science and Religion (based at St. Edmund’s College, Cambridge).

The LASAR Project was motivated by a concern that there is a strong public perception (reinforced by some popular media) that science and religion are in some sense opposites, that is that science is an atheistic activity.

In particular, we were concerned that school pupils may come to accept this as a normative standard: something that is both incorrect, and which could deter students who hold religious faith form considering science as a suitable basis of future study and career.

Such an effect would not only be unfortunate when there is widespread concern about the limited numbers of young people seriously considering science careers, but in principle could set up a self-fulfilling prophecy. If people of faith are significantly deterred from science, then science could over time become dominated by atheists!

I know this may sound odd but thank you very much for this post for a number of reasons. First putting a "name" to our families belife system (I had never heard of Theistic Evolutionists and had to Goggle it). Number two providing use with a resouce, it feels very overwelling to find a homeschool science program that is God based but not evolution based. For four years I have been hand selecting, weeding out, editing, and putting togeather our science curriculm. It's nice to know we're not the only homeschoolers that have this point of view, thank you!

I know this may sound odd but thank you very much for this post for a number of reasons. First putting a "name" to our families belife system (I had never heard of Theistic Evolutionists and had to Goggle it). Number two providing use with a resouce, it feels very overwelling to find a homeschool science program that is God based but not evolution based. For four years I have been hand selecting, weeding out, editing, and putting togeather our science curriculm. It's nice to know we're not the only homeschoolers that have this point of view, thank you!

Have you come across BioLogos in your research? I've found it to be an excellent resource for me in the area of faith / science integration.

My husband and I were having a conversation yesterday about how frustrating it has been to find a happy medium between religion and science. Then today I find this post. We have spent HOURS looking for a science program to fit our needs. Thank you Lynnita, I did look at it this morning. Andrea, I couldn't find anything for younger kids, maybe I'm looking in the wrong place. The youngest I could find was year 7, which equates to about 6th grade in the US. Has anyone found a good program for elementary? I have a preschooler, a 1st, and a 4th grader and would love to find a program that is put together already. I have seriously debated using Apologia elementary science but if I have to fork out that kind of $$ I don't want to have to pick through it. I have also looked at Sonlight but I want something that focuses on one topic each year and I we can't really afford $200/yr just for science.

Andrea, I couldn't find anything for younger kids, maybe I'm looking in the wrong place. The youngest I could find was year 7, which equates to about 6th grade in the US. Has anyone found a good program for elementary? I have a preschooler, a 1st, and a 4th grader and would love to find a program that is put together already. I have seriously debated using Apologia elementary science but if I have to fork out that kind of $$ I don't want to have to pick through it. I have also looked at Sonlight but I want something that focuses on one topic each year and I we can't really afford $200/yr just for science.

There are specific evolution / science / faith resources for children as young as age 7 here on the site. If you scroll down on the right you'll see that Unit 3 has a lower age level of 7.

As far as science curriculum for younger elementary ... I've been happiest with BFSU. I really like how it intentionally links across disciplines. It's systematic in how it guides you in moving through topics. It isn't all put-together, but the demonstrations aren't hard in it, either. I use it in conjunction with any other resources I need to dive into topics that my dds show a particular interest in.

RS4K isn't bad for younger years, and it definitely focuses on one topic at a time. It's trying to be neutral, which is okay in some of the disciplines, but I think really falls apart in geology. I just think by avoiding the age of the earth, we miss part of the whole point of geology study.

Intellego has a K-2 unit study on evolution. I haven't used it yet, because my girls just aren't that interested in the topic yet.

My husband and I were having a conversation yesterday about how frustrating it has been to find a happy medium between religion and science. Then today I find this post. We have spent HOURS looking for a science program to fit our needs. Thank you Lynnita, I did look at it this morning. Andrea, I couldn't find anything for younger kids, maybe I'm looking in the wrong place. The youngest I could find was year 7, which equates to about 6th grade in the US. Has anyone found a good program for elementary? I have a preschooler, a 1st, and a 4th grader and would love to find a program that is put together already. I have seriously debated using Apologia elementary science but if I have to fork out that kind of $$ I don't want to have to pick through it. I have also looked at Sonlight but I want something that focuses on one topic each year and I we can't really afford $200/yr just for science.

As Lynnita said, there are specific lessons that are labeled appropriate for as young as age 7. I've found that my 2nd and 5th graders can handle most of the Year 7 videos and web-text just fine. BioLogos recommends something called The Wonder Project for the younger ones but it doesn't appear to be free and I couldn't find it available in the U.S. Perhaps someone else could have better luck. As far as a science program for elementary, I've been very happy with Sonlight science up until now. Next year my oldest would have been doing Sonlight Science G which spends a lot of time on origins and I felt like it would be more trouble than it's worth to adapt. Instead we'll be using Intellego Unit Studies combined with CK12 for ds11 and Usborne books for ds8.

I was most impressed by the professor that talked about confusing agency with mechanism. That is a really valid, cogent point that I have not seen expressed very often.

I am not really a thestic evolutionist, a creationist, or any other label. I simply think that believing in a creator does not mean I check my brain in at the door and one can fully believe in the scientific method without agreeing with their agency that started it all. I have never understood how either excludes the other.

Thank you, the younger stuff is kind of in an odd location. I can't believe it's free, it's an amazing site! When I was looking at the yr 7 teacher material it looked a little over my kids head but the text seemed fine so we'll just use that and try some videos. I found R.E.A.L. Science for sale used and am going to try that. It's an inexpensive program so if we don't like it I'm not out much. We have been using "How Nature Works" (Readers Digest book) from the library (as our "base" book) and LOVED it, some of it goes over my 1st graders head but my 4th grader has really enjoyed it. It is a neutral book, but I find for us it's easier to add view points than it is to subtract a view point from a book. I also just ordered "Fun With Nature" and "More Fun with Nature" and we'll see how those work, those are more for my PreK (just turned 4) and my 1st grader. We're doing sort of an eclectic mix of nature study, botany, science investigation/process this year (and next).

As far as a science program for elementary, I've been very happy with Sonlight science up until now.

Sonlight is set up so you have an array of material and just follow their schedule for book reading, correct? I have their catalog, do you think putting a program from some of the books from their programs would work well. I would love to look their program over but it's cost prohibitive for us right now (we're paying for three kids school material/programs and books/tuition for my nursing program). I also can't make it to a convention to look at things.

Len

Sonlight is set up so you have an array of material and just follow their schedule for book reading, correct? I have their catalog, do you think putting a program from some of the books from their programs would work well. I would love to look their program over but it's cost prohibitive for us right now (we're paying for three kids school material/programs and books/tuition for my nursing program). I also can't make it to a convention to look at things.

The Sonlight IGs contain the schedule and also activity pages for the books, but IMO they aren't necessary. I really only use them to make sure my kids are learning since they read their science to themselves. If you read the books to your kids or are willing to read ahead of them, you wouldn't need them. The Usborne books have internet links and you could easily find topically relevant materials to use with them online for free. You could buy the books used or use the library for them. Any that you couldn't find, could be substituted.