Menu

OfficeMax cut off the binding on my 200 pg

Tammyla

workbook today for $1.48, and it only took a few minutes :hurray: . Just a little fyi for anyone fighting a workbook that wont stay open.

I'm thrilled to say the least. I checked another store a few years ago and they wanted over $12. That was over my budget and I spent days with an exacto knife and very sore hands.

Thank you for the heads-up! I am just getting into homeschooling (will switch DD11 & DDE8 after the end of this school year), and am still researching curricula. Undoubtedly we will encounter some problematic workbooks along the way.

What prompted you to ask them? It was genious, and more points for them for being affordable.

The thought of attempting to cut one off myself prompted me to call and ask the question. Honestly, I thought it would be a lot more. I checked a few years ago at Kinkos and they charged $12+ for a specific number of pages, and that was cost prohibitive for me.

Thank you for the heads-up! I am just getting into homeschooling (will switch DD11 & DDE8 after the end of this school year), and am still researching curricula. Undoubtedly we will encounter some problematic workbooks along the way.

What prompted you to ask them? It was genious, and more points for them for being affordable.

Will they spiral bind too? I have a few workbooks that need to be done and we actually have an Office Max in town.

They do. Last time I went it was about $3-4 for a Latin text (probably 1/2" thick?). Whether they do a good job is really hit or miss - totally depends on which guy happens to be working that day.

I agree, Office Max seems to be homeschool friendly. About 5-6 years ago they ran a back to school special for "all educators" (so yes, that included homeschoolers). They laminated up to a certain amount FREE! Needless to say, my dd was only in grade 2-3 and I had TONS to laminate. I took in my materials and they laminated my materials! FOR FREE! And, if my memory is correct it was close to a $50 value or more. I do remember it was a huge amount. Yea for your deal and mine!

They are the cheapest by far!

A few suggestions for anyone pondering this option. I am VERY picky about my books so this may seem a bit like overkill, but I have had A LOT of books cut over the years.

1. Ask the person doing if they have experience doing it. Not in a snotty way, but in a sweet way. Let them know it totally fine to say that they are not comfortable doing the job. Then let them know that the book costs xxx to replace, so it is important to be done right. Walk away and go back on another day if they do not have someone who is confident that they can do it right.

2. Let them know if you want the cover and or binding edge of book. I have had them throw it away, and fortunately I was still at the store to retrieve it. Sometimes I color copy the binding (easier after removal) and cut it to put in the side slot of the binder.

3. Remind them to double check the setting on the hole drill and clarify exactly what you want. I had one book drilled with only 2 holes (for a top bound book) accidentally. They didn't check the hole placement and the last person to use it didn't reset it to 3 holes. To fix the error they copied the book for me on nice paper, and repunched it with 3 on the side. Make sure they know how to use the drill, and are not just planning to use the 3 hole punch. The drill will give a more professional, consistant hole placement. If it is under 100 pages it isn't a big deal to do at home with a 3 hole punch, but for more than that, I like to have them do it.

4. Ask them to put the now loose pages in to a box. It will keep the pages in good condition until you get home. Otherwise take you binder with you so you put it directly in there. They tend to want to place the pages in a plastic bag. Unless you are very careful, the corners can get bent.

5. If you want it cut off the binding AND holes. Discuss the distance from where they plan to cut... to the holes... to the words. One time for me, without thinking of the next step, they cut the binding off, but cut a bit further from the binding than expected. Once the put the holes on, the holes cut into words. Depending on how it is bound, they have to cut different locations to get the pages free.

6. If the pages are perforated for removal in the original text, ask them to cut off past the perforation. Otherwise, you will end up with loose pages, that still have a perforation and then a little bit of paper after the perforation. It is Annoying!

7. Spriral binding is nice but you can't easily remove pages and you can't put them back. I prefer 3 hole punch and a binder because I could take pages in and out. There are other types of binding machines that create a binding similar to spiral with removable pages. They aren't cheap but make binding at home easier than you would think.

Remember to think about what you really want before you have it done.