Menu

Do your beginning readers confuse simple words at times?

So, we have bounced from curriculum to curriculum with my girls. They started their educational journey in PS for Kindergarten. I pulled them out towards the end when we moved to GA. The PS taught mostly sight words. We started out with Progressive Phonics, then 100EZ, then Phonics Pathways and had success until we moved into consonant blends and the book just wasn't enough for them. We are currently using AAR1 and we are progressing! FINALLY! WOO HOO! They just finished the first book in the series. That being said, now they are SO focused on not missing one of their new words that they are struggling with the word 'is' or 'had' etc. while reading. They do read them correctly if given to them as a flash card.

Is this just a normal phase? They also still confuse b and d but I am having them write out the word 'bed' each time they get confused and it seems to be happening less each day.

I videoed them reading today so they could watch themselves read because they always say "we don't know how to read!" when asked by others what they are reading, etc.. they were so excited to be able to see that they were reading by themselves!

We started with some sight words, switched to 100EZ Lessons, there was some Bob Books and Funnix mixed in, we finally landed on AAR. I can not sing enough praise to Marie Rippel!

Anyway, yes my boys mix up b/d along with the/and all the time. I blame the/and on the few weeks of sight words, so glad we jumped ship on sight words.

FWIW we recently finished AAR1, I bought AAR2 but planned to give my boys a few weeks off new material, they BEGGED to start the frog book.