Menu

Need fashion advice ... Easter and a family wedding

dirty ethel rackham

Let me preface this by saying that I hate shopping. I also rarely buy things for myself and am not up on the latest things. I am nearly 50 years old, on the tall side (5'8") with a small frame, pear-shaped with a few extra pounds (like 15) in the middle (and those are in the form of lumpy, bumpy rolls in the midsection due to loose skin from big babies.) I tend to favor classic, elegant style ... or at least that is the look I am going for, but may miss the mark. Here's the deal ... I need some help with my Easter outfit and what to wear to my niece's wedding in Southern California in late April.

So ... my Easter outfit. Last summer, while unsuccessfully shopping for something else, I came across a great deal on a tweed pencil skirt and cardigan sweater from Talbots in a coral color. I don't often wear coral because it can be a little to "orange" for my coloring, but it was a steal so I bought it. So, I need something under the cardigan. Although I look better in white, I think this one should be a tad off-white because the skirt has some beige in it, but no white. Here is my skirt in more of a pink tone. The cardigan is v-neck, fine gauge with a finer cable-knit. So, what do I wear under it? The 90's business gal in me would choose a silk shell. Would that make me look dated? I'd like something that would make me look like my mid-section is slimmer than it is so I shouldn't have anything that needs to be tucked in - my pooch is north of the equator. It will probably be chilly - like we'd be lucky if it were in the 50's. What kind of shoes? I have bad knees and ankles (and and one is slightly swollen permanently due to an injury) so I can't just wear a ballet flat or flimsy shoe. I plan to wear sheer hose - no one needs to see my pastey white legs that often have bruises from rock climbing.

On to my niece's wedding. It is a church wedding in the afternoon and the reception is in the evening at a posh hotel. So, it is dressy. I can't do sleeveless as someone attached some chicken cutlets to my underarms when I had my children and I just can't get rid of them (no matter how much weight I lose.) Whatever I get needs to go to my knees as they are no longer attractive looking (fat deposits from joint issues.) No vavoom sexy - I don't have the bOOks for that, plus I don't feel comfortable showing the girls. I want to be able to dance in it. Any suggestions? If it can be under $100, that would be great.

I found this one...you certainly can't beat the price! There are a few sizes left in the gunmetal grey. Reading through the reviews quickly, looks like it runs small, so quite a few ordered up a size. It is so hard to find a dress with sleeves, I need them as well. Sorry for the long link.

http://www.jcpenney.com/dotcom/modern-bride/wedding-guest/shutter-pleat-dress-with-lace-details/prod.jump?ppId=1dd6ebe&catId=cat100210008&deptId=dept20000013&N=100260280&extDim=true&topDim=Categories&topDimvalue=evening+%26+cocktail+dress&dimCombo=Categories%7C&dimComboVal=evening+%26+cocktail+dress%7C&currentDim=Categories&currentDimVal=evening+%26+cocktail+dress

I found this one...you certainly can't beat the price! There are a few sizes left in the gunmetal grey. Reading through the reviews quickly, looks like it runs small, so quite a few ordered up a size. It is so hard to find a dress with sleeves, I need them as well. Sorry for the long link.

http://www.jcpenney.... cocktail dress

Ooh. That has possibilities. Ordering today!!

ETA: Bummer. The only color in my size is on back order until the day I leave.

Keep 'em coming!

Ooh. That has possibilities. Ordering today!!

ETA: Bummer. The only color in my size is on back order until the day I leave.

Keep 'em coming!

Oh darn!

Kohl's has a few really cute ones that might work for you. I looked under 'dresses', then 'evening'. I have a 30% off coupon I can PM you, if you have a Kohl's charge. Beware though, Kohl's shipping is slow.

Have you looked at Coldwater Creek? Or Dress Barn? I like this one from DB.

Coldwater Creek also has lots of blouses.

I've found a good foundation garment to be really helpful for those midsection rolls...lol--I've got more of a weight issue than you, but I think most women who've had kiddos could use a good, supportive torso-shaper.

This Dress Barn dress is what I'm wearing for Easter. Even I look good in it. Dress barn purple dress with side stuff.