Menu

I do not want to be ignorant - can Muslims draw animals

I have a new girl in my science class. She is a Muslim (so thrilled to have another religion in my group), but had a question... In science today, we dissected a grasshopper and then they were to draw and label it. We ran out of time and I assigned it for homework. Can she do this? Could she take a picture from the Internet and label it? Just wondering...

For educational purposes, yes. For an art class, no. That is my educated opinion - some traditional families might get upset that you would be asking that of them, while some less religious (for lack of a better word) families might have absolutely no problem with any kind of animate drawings. If the family has a problem with it, they would probably let you know.

ETA: As a teacher in a very strict Islamic school, I would assign the same project if the curriculum warranted it.

I would go with UmmAbdullah's answer. I draw graphics for making my own worksheets for classes and I simply draw the body separate from the head (by a slight visible line) for these to be used in a Islamic school. And that is what other Islamic schools, that I know teachers from, do. So you could suggest that if she comes back with questions.

We do not display them in our homes.

Just pointing out that there is a difference of opinion among scholars, especially regarding children's activities.. and following a different opinion doesn't imply someone is less educated or less religious.

I would hesitate to make a generalization about Muslim practice, there is a wide variety. Given your comments about your student (that they seem "relaxed", that she has already drawn a picture of an animal), I wouldn't be concerned at all about having her label a diagram/picture.

maybe just say to the mum "I am aware there are cultural/religious differences but am not that knowledgeable so please let me know if there is a problem and we can sort out a variation for your daughter". Something like that is what I would do.

Just pointing out that there is a difference of opinion among scholars, especially regarding children's activities.. and following a different opinion doesn't imply someone is less educated or less religious.

I would hesitate to make a generalization about Muslim practice, there is a wide variety. Given your comments about your student (that they seem "relaxed", that she has already drawn a picture of an animal), I wouldn't be concerned at all about having her label a diagram/picture.

Yes, this.

In general though, a muslim should avoid drawing animal/human being if it's used as an ornament (purely for art) for grown-ups to enjoy. E.g. Monalisa is a no-no, but Mickey Mouse in a nursery room is fine for some scholars.

But, for science, textbook illustration, story book illustration, activity books, children bedding, children t-shirt, etc, opinions differ. Same with photography. In my country of origin, most people wouldn't mind to be photographed, or hang the photographs on the wall. YOu can't say the same for muslims from other country.

A couple of things that a muslim cannot draw: Godand prophet Muhammad, and some say - prophet Muhammad's companions and other prophets (including prophet Isa/Jesus).

HTH