Menu

Mama brag: Figure Skating Fun at 'Fur Rondy on Ice'

Tammi K

We're in Alaska. Family is on the east coast. All parental bragging has to be done via the internet.

I thought it might be fun and encouraging to share here as well in the event you have any young (beginner) skaters at home. Both Ben and AC began skating just a tad over two years ago. When they started, AC could make it around the rink without holding on to the wall but Ben had a tendency to face-plant every 4-5 feet. There progress has been so much fun to watch. Here they are in the local ice show held during Fur Rondy week - a large celebration held during the Iditarod race.

Ben and his pairs partner have been skating together for 6 months:

Way to go! They both did great! I have skaters, too, but they are of the hockey variety so I don't get to see much of that beauty and finesse on the ice. :)

When we first found we were moving here to Alaska we asked the kids what they wanted to get involved in to help make the transition easier and give them something to look forward to. Ac picked figure skating and Ben chose hockey.

Neither could skate so we enrolled than in a 'Learn to Skate' program for basic skills. Ben also signed up to play in the local house league. Apparently knowing how to skate wasn't really a requirement. :laugh:

He played hockey for two seasons but this year he decided just to stick with figure skating. When I asked why he said, "Figure skaters smell waaaaaay better than hockey players!" Amen!