Menu

Having trouble teaching math

Esperella

So, I suck at math. Really! I was actually in accelerated classes in school until jr high (slope was my demise) but I really hate it. My son is in 1st and we are using Singapore. While I obviously can do 1st grade math, I more dont understand how to teach the process. We are on multiplication now and we were taught by just memorizing times tables but there is none of this here. So I don't know what to do and now I feel he's not getting it. He has such a mathy brain and gets concepts so easily, I dont want to ruin this for him.

I don't have a teachers manual. I am not opposed to switching math curriculums right now, to something that is easier to teach. I just need to know how to explain the concepts. Like the point they're trying to make. Math now is sooooo different from how I was taught.

What should I do? I'm feeling very frustrated and panicky.

Get the Home Instructor's Guide. It tells you how to teach.

The home instructors guide really is a must if you are a non mathy person.

I also really like these videos (and for the most part they just use c-rods) I like seeing how it works.

http://www.educationunboxed.com/

khan academy also has great videos.

You can do it, just breath in and out. :grouphug:

You might want to look at Math Mammoth. It teaches conceptually, like Singapore, but MM is "less different" (from mainstream math) than Singapore. MM's teaching is all written in the worktext, no separate teacher's manual. But if you switch, do the placement tests, don't assume you can switch straight from one level in SM to the same level in MM. The scope and sequence might be different, I don't know.

Math now is sooooo different from how I was taught.

What should I do? I'm feeling very frustrated and panicky.

Math doesn't have to be different if you don't want it to be.

Some books that recommend sticking with older math instruction methods are:

How to Tutor

A Guide to American Christian Education

Simply Charlotte Mason math (the site won't load for me tonight).

Ok thanks everyone! I was talking to a friend and she told me that I couldn't get one because I had the wrong edition, so I never looked into it! I'm so relieved!

What books are you using? I think that the edition may have some bearing on the HIG you'll get. The Standards Edition is viewed as having the best HIG, because it was written years after the HIG for the US Edition and took into account feedback from homeschoolers.

If you're not opposed to switching programs anyway, why not look at getting the full Singapore Standards Edition for the level (including the HIG, text, and workbook)? The HIG not only walks you through teaching lessons, but it also offers extension activities and some great Mental Math sections at the back.

I'd also recommend Liping Ma's Knowing and Teaching Elementary Mathematics. It helped me better understand why Singapore handles concepts the way it does.

Our county library actually teaches a free online class on how to teach Singapore math. It has helped me so much that I went back and retaught my daughter some of the level 1 material because I didn't think I did a very good job after taking that class. Check your libraries. It was a real eye opener for me.

I am in the same boat as you. We are currently doing Math Mammoth with dd8, but I can see that I am going to be in over my head soon. I also can see that she needs more spiral. We are switching to CLE this week, because when I look at the curriculum, it doesn't make me freak out. It also looks fairly well laid-out and simple. I am finding that MM does not have enough instruction for me (personally) to help my dd if she doesn't get it the first time. If CLE does not work for us, I am throwing in the towel and moving to Teaching Textbooks next year.

No matter how much you struggled with math or how "memorize this"-y your own schooling was, you are capable of teaching your children to understand math -- you just have to learn how to see it with new eyes yourself. I recommend you check out the "Homeschooling Math with Profound Understanding" series of blog posts. Here are the two on multiplication:

Just my experience....I do not have any teacher's menu.

I started with multiplying 2

( I reviewed adding by doubles first) such as 2+2, 3+3' 4+4' 5+5

Then multiplying 10, so they know what multiplication is, also they think it is not so hard.

Then multiplying 5

They always end with 0 or 5

Then multiplying 9

Using the finger tricks

I made worksheets for thoses numbers that my kids usually forgot.

I didn't have a system to teach the table. I started with the easiest first. I think 6. 7. 8 are the hardest so I taught them in the end.

Then we practice while we are driving, we only learned one number a time and we kept repeating it. Hope this helps.