Menu

Moving to the next level in Singapore Math

Mom2TheTeam

My son is just finishing up with 1a. (I don't have a balance scale. I've been meaning to get one. I'm going to order one. Then go back and do that unit when it comes in, but move to 1b in the mean time. Is that an acceptable way to handle that?) Anyway, I don't do tests for him, but I would like to do some type of test or assessment to make sure he is ready to move on before we do. Does anyone else do this? I was thinking I could either use one (or more) of the reviews at the end of the workbook or I could use the placement test from the Singapore website. I'm leaning toward the placement test because the site specifically says each placement test is actually an exit test for the level. I'm thinking that would be a good way to make sure he is ready to move on. I'm pretty sure he is. I just want to make sure so we don't miss anything.

Thoughts?? Thanks!

I think it is fine to move on while you await your balance scale. I have never tested my kids at the end of Singpore levels. If they make it successfully through one level, I start the next one. Each level has some review of previous material so this has worked well. The only tests my kids have ever taken for SM was the placement tests which my two boys took at the very beginning of our homeschooling journey five years ago.

I don't test my kids on math. If they can successfully complete the review at the end of the book without help I know they are good.

Also...I never had a balance scale :) I also never bought a meter stick, just a yard stick. I do have a kitchen scale that we used for about 5 minutes once.

I wouldn't purchase a balance scale just for math, unless your kid absolutely does not understand it without touching one. We had no problem doing the balance scale section of 1A, just pretending we had one. We skipped the problems where you were supposed to put actual objects on a real balance scale. There weren't very many like that.. maybe 2?

I use the placement tests at the end of each book. While I don't tests in most subjects, I think a semester test to check for basic understanding in math is not a bad idea. I don't use the test booklet, as that would be way overkill for us. Just one test at the end of each book is enough for my kids so far. :)

I was thinking we might need the balance scale for science too at some point. Since it is only like $15 on Amazon, I was just going to get it. Maybe I should just show him pictures and the balance scale on Starfall and be done with it. No need for anything else in my house to sit and collect dust! LOL

As for testing, I was thinking that I might test him because I still sit next to him and do most of the workbook pages. I do that mostly to keep him on track because he gets distracted VERY easily. I was going to tell him this is a test and have him sit in dinning room by himself to do the work...make it more serious, KWIM? This way, I wouldn't be next to him guiding him through (since I tend to do that) and could make sure he really grasps the concepts without mom right next to him.

I wouldn't purchase a balance scale just for math, unless your kid absolutely does not understand it without touching one. We had no problem doing the balance scale section of 1A, just pretending we had one. We skipped the problems where you were supposed to put actual objects on a real balance scale. There weren't very many like that.. maybe 2?

I use the placement tests at the end of each book. While I don't tests in most subjects, I think a semester test to check for basic understanding in math is not a bad idea. I don't use the test booklet, as that would be way overkill for us. Just one test at the end of each book is enough for my kids so far. :)

This is exactly what I was thinking! Basically one test a semester at the end of every book to make sure they have it before moving on. By the placement test at the end of each book do you mean the reviews that are actually in the workbook or the placement tests you print from the Singapore site? I'm leaning toward the tests you print from the site since we do the review together. He has never take a test before. I did tell him he was going to be taking his first test at the end of this book, like tomorrow. I think he is going to get it postponed in favor of finishing weights without the scale. ;)

In 1st grade, I would just keep going. And don't worry about the balance. Or, if you do get it, just wait for it to come around again in second grade. It might even come up again in first grade. You don't have to go back. It's not going to cause a crisis.

Like others have mentioned, I do have several metric and imperial measuring sticks, because that gets called for several times over the course of SM. I think a kitchen scale that measures in ounces and grams and a 'judy' clock would also come in handy, but not necessary. I got a small scale (digital) for maybe 20$ at the grocery store. I have used it often in both math and science.

This is exactly what I was thinking! Basically one test a semester at the end of every book to make sure they have it before moving on. By the placement test at the end of each book do you mean the reviews that are actually in the workbook or the placement tests you print from the Singapore site? I'm leaning toward the tests you print from the site since we do the review together. He has never take a test before. I did tell him he was going to be taking his first test at the end of this book, like tomorrow. I think he is going to get it postponed in favor of finishing weights without the scale. ;)

Yes, I do the placement tests from the website. I also work with my son as he's doing the workbook pages and reviews. At this stage, I expect most kids to be "at elbow". Some kids are independent, but it's normal for them not to be, kwim? My 3rd grader now works his workbook independently (after I've taught the lesson), but in 1st grade, I had to sit with him too. :)

I was thinking we might need the balance scale for science too at some point. Since it is only like $15 on Amazon, I was just going to get it.

We skip K and 1 for Singapore Math so I can't commend on that. I just used my state's sample standardised tests for them to practise test taking and check for gaps.

For balance scale in math and science we use a home made one :)

This is very similar to what we made with ruler, disposable cups, twine and pennies. http://scienceprojectideasforkids.com/2010/mass-equal-arm-balance/

This is a more detailed lesson plan http://illuminations.nctm.org/LessonDetail.aspx?ID=L183

I asked my husband to make us one because I didn't think it would be hard.

The first one I linked was made by my kids when older was in kindergarten. We just help them punch the holes through the cups and used pennies as weights.

The ones that their virtual academy sent us could not balance well. They were something like this one http://www.sks-science.com/scales-p-14.html