Menu

Logic Stage... Logic :)

In planning for fifth grade next year, I'm currently contemplating logic and critical thinking books. DS is finishing Logic Liftoff this spring and then we will do Orbiting With Logic. After that... I could use your thoughts.

I did a search and read several previous threads on this. Here are some questions I still have.

After OWL, DS will probably be mid 5th grade. He loves his logic books and would do many pages a day, so he may even get through it sooner. At what point is it still too early to start something like Art of Argument? I usually see that recommended for 6th or 7th grades. If it is a little soon for that, what would you recommend in between?

I was also looking at CTC's Building Critical Thinking books. After OWL, would book 2 be the right place to start? Or would that be repetitive? I think we will also add in their Balance Builder books.

We do a lot of different things in this area (logic books, Mindbenders books, programming, word games, etc) but he just eats it up so I feel a need for plenty of resources!

Thanks for any ideas you have for me. Off to order more Mindbenders to replace the book if is he'd today, LOL!

I'm giving Art of Argument a try for next year with a 5th and 6th grader, so no actual experience yet. What I thought we'd do is do it slowly -- maybe getting through half the material the first year, and doing the other half the second year. This is the plan, anyway.

I'm hoping someone with experience can pop in to comment, though. So, this should bump you again. :001_smile:

Thanks, Taryn. I think I did read that post... I remember a long list from Lori, to whom I also want to say thanks for the great ideas!!

I guess I'm just still trying to figure out a good sequence... For instance, would Building Thinking Skills from CTC come before or after the Logic Liftoff and OWL books....or if it would be on a similar level. Hopefully that makes sense. :)

FWIW, I bought Art of Argument thinking I might use it in 5th, but decided to wait till 6th. I think that was a smart move. I don't know how it will go in 6th yet, but I can tell you that for us, 5th would have been to early.

We're not doing anything special for logic this year, trying to pick up the critical thinking/logic ideals through doing lots of problem solving in math. I am looking forward to trying A of A next year, though!

I did Fallacy Detective this year with oldest DD ("6th"). She loved it -- partly because it was just me & her reading & discussing, partly because of the content, and a little bit perhaps because of the rabbit trails we'd get on because of the content.

I'm planning Art of Argument for next year .... hopefully with a few other homeschool students. (FWIW, I'm not including dd#2 (5th grade next year) in our AofA work.)

Okay, this is good. I'm thinking he won't be ready for A of A next year. He's fantastic at logic puzzles and patterns, but I'm not sure I see him being ready to apply it that way yet.

We'll do OWL, then see where we are. I may check out Fallacy Detective or the Building Thinking Skills books. I will get Balance Benders and Mindbenders, so maybe with math and programming, that will be plenty anyway. Thanks, all! :)

We used Anita Harnadek's Critical Thinking Book One in fifth grade (last year) and we're on the second book now.

The books are designed for a group, but we've enjoyed working on them with just two of us.

If you are looking for something for the student to use independently, look elsewhere. ;) These books are meant to be discussed.

We also are doing a few read-alouds that incorporate critical thinking.

Hilltop, What read-alouds are you doing?

Thanks,

yvonne

We're doing several, but I'll just list the ones relevant to this thread. They are not pure logic, but they do deal with critical thinking.

Innumeracy by John Allen Paulos

Doubt by Jennifer Michael Hecht

Bad Astronomy by Philip Plait (In my school planner "Bad Astronomy" is often written in the science square. I find that amusing. ;) )

Not a read-aloud, but we are also both reading (fighting over the Kindle for) Snapping by Flo Conway and Jim Siegelman. It's about what can happen when we stop thinking and allow others to do it for us.

We're doing several, but I'll just list the ones relevant to this thread. They are not pure logic, but they do deal with critical thinking.

Innumeracy by John Allen Paulos

Doubt by Jennifer Michael Hecht

Bad Astronomy by Philip Plait (In my school planner "Bad Astronomy" is often written in the science square. I find that amusing. ;) )

Not a read-aloud, but we are also both reading (fighting over the Kindle for) Snapping by Flo Conway and Jim Siegelman. It's about what can happen when we stop thinking and allow others to do it for us.

that makes me want to start writing "Bad Botany" in our planner! Bad, bad botany!!!