Menu

Sequestration Cuts Federal Student Aid Funding

Kareni

I haven't confirmed this myself, but dh tells me that funding for GI Bill is being cut for family beneficiaries. If you have a child going to college this fall and you were planning on using GI Bill benefits to help fund it, you ought to check into this closely.

I haven't heard this yet and was told that the program is administered through the VA not DoD. But all the services but Navy have announced there will be no Tuition Assistance.

I haven't heard this yet and was told that the program is administered through the VA not DoD. But all the services but Navy have announced there will be no Tuition Assistance.

I don't think Coast Guard is doing it either, unless I missed that one being announced.

I wonder what will happen with work-study awards. The article indicates they will cut the overall number of awards offered, not the amount for each student, but either way, this is hard.

Hard as a parent of a college student, and hard as an employee, too.

In my work I rely on a staff of work-study students. Two years ago, state and federal awards were cut so that each student had an average of 8 hours / week to work rather than the usual 10 hours / week. Cutting those hours meant that I was essentially short staffed, down one staff member. With all the changes in how awards are granted, I've also had a problem with losing good workers and having to train students who are really not cut out for the work.

I'm trying not to die in advance, but, gosh.

Thanks.... missed that one. So Air Force is now the only one not doing it....

Actually, Navy is the only service that hasn't announced cuts. Not sure what tomorrow will bring.

This article from Stars and Stripes is the longest one I've seen.

I asked around and it was pointed out to me that the Post 9/11 GI Bill (which allows transfer to family members) is managed through the VA. From what I've read, VA benefits were specifically exempted from sequestration.

Actually, Navy is the only service that hasn't announced cuts. Not sure what tomorrow will bring.

This article from Stars and Stripes is the longest one I've seen.

I asked around and it was pointed out to me that the Post 9/11 GI Bill (which allows transfer to family members) is managed through the VA. From what I've read, VA benefits were specifically exempted from sequestration.

Oops again.... not sure why I got the two mixed up. Sorry about that.