Menu

Latin is paying off!

Dd has been taking Latin 1 since December with a co-op and doing quite well. Her teacher is amazed at how much she has learned in such a short time- she is even ahead of some kids who have been in the class since August.

We took a trip to NYC at Christmas and she was having fun reading the writings on some of the buildings, but the last couple of days watching the RCC choose a new pope has really shown her newfound command of the Latin language.

When the cardinals were reading out of the Bible and praying in Latin, she came running into my room, "I know what they're saying!! I know what they're saying!!!" She was jumping around, so excited!

Haha!! It's coming in handy already!! :hurray: Just thought some of you might appreciate that story!

Dd has been taking Latin 1 since December with a co-op and doing quite well. Her teacher is amazed at how much she has learned in such a short time- she is even ahead of some kids who have been in the class since August.

We took a trip to NYC at Christmas and she was having fun reading the writings on some of the buildings, but the last couple of days watching the RCC choose a new pope has really shown her newfound command of the Latin language.

When the cardinals were reading out of the Bible and praying in Latin, she came running into my room, "I know what they're saying!! I know what they're saying!!!" She was jumping around, so excited!

Haha!! It's coming in handy already!! :hurray: Just thought some of you might appreciate that story!

That's awesome. My son was listening to the announcement. He was trying to figure out what case Franciscum was and why. Made me smile.

Cool!

My son took Latin and fussed and grumped about it for 2 years. He even went so far as to throw away the Latin grammar book and then tell me he couldn't find it! (I bought a new one! ha!) Years later, he finally admitted it DID help him with English grammar and...AND...in his college speech course, he had to do a persuasive speech and he did it on the benefits of studying Latin in high school! I about fainted!

My son was listening to the announcement. He was trying to figure out what case Franciscum was and why.

If you go on the Vatican website, you can find the complete text in Latin. It's very formulaic. The senior cardinal says: Annuntio vobis gaudium magnum -- habemus Papam. I announce to you a great joy -- we have a Pope. Next the cardinal states the new Pope's first and last name and says: qui sibi nomen imposuit . . . Franciscum -- who (qui) placed/bestowed (imposuit -- from impono ponere posui positum; we get the word impose) to himself (sibi) the name (nomen) Francis (Franciscum). The subject is qui and the verb is imposuit and the indirect object is the reflexive sibi. Can your son take it from there? I agree it was quite a thrill to hear Latin come alive today as a living language. Congrats to all the up and coming classicists!

My son was listening to the announcement. He was trying to figure out what case Franciscum was and why.

If you go on the Vatican website, you can find the complete text in Latin. It's very formulaic. The senior cardinal says: Annuntio vobis gaudium magnum -- habemus Papam. I announce to you a great joy -- we have a Pope. Next the cardinal states the new Pope's first and last name and says: qui sibi nomen imposuit . . . Franciscum -- who (qui) placed/bestowed (imposuit -- from impono ponere posui positum; we get the word impose) to himself (sibi) the name (nomen) Francis (Franciscum). The subject is qui and the verb is imposuit and the indirect object is the reflexive sibi. Can your son take it from there? I agree it was quite a thrill to hear Latin come alive today as a living language. Congrats to all the up and coming classicists!

We were looking at the text last night. Our audio was really hard to follow. But I was thrilled to hear him reasoning through the options for the declension.

My kids kept yelling at the translator to be quiet-the wanted to hear the Latin. The also tried to translate the Latin . . .

The inscription stretching across the facade of St. Peter's basilica -- under the cornice and above the balcony from which the Pope spoke -- reads:

IN HONOREM PRINCIPIS APOST PAVLVS V BVRGHESIVS ROMANVS PONT MAX AN MDCXII PONT VII

Translation: in honor of the Prince of the Apostles Paul V Borghese Supreme Roman Pontiff in the year 1612 the 7th year of his pontificate

Gives you a good workout on Roman numerals!