Menu

Has anyone read Spielvogel's "Western Civ" for fun?

Its a great summer read, oddly.

I'm curious about the author's background. His treatment of the early church seems so fair, that I'm thinking he must be religious in some shape or form.

Anyway, I love the book and I highly recommend it. I have no idea if his facts are straight as I am very weak on world history. Veritas uses it for Omni, so I'm thinking its right on point. Thoughts? Thanks!

I think I sold you that copy, didn't I, Beth? I actually liked reading it. All I know is that he's from Penn State. That's all the endorsement hubby needed...:001_smile:

Have you read Susan's Ancient History? I found it fun to compare them. Of course, I only got to about Ch. 4 of Susan's before I had to return it.

it'll give you the broad overview of history and help you with both the history and lit. studies in high school. We ended up doing World History: A Human Odyssey and I read along with the kids during the school year, but keeping up with their reading was always a scramble! I've always vowed I would get all their books read during the summer, but it's never happened!

Beth, I think I'm going to nominate you for the Homeschool Expert in History Award of the year! Your posts seem to show your real love of history!

penang_asa_medals.jpg

Beth, I think I'm going to nominate you for the Homeschool Expert in History Award of the year! Your posts seem to show your real love of history!

penang_asa_medals.jpg

Thank you all. I would like to take this opportunity to thank so many people for this most prestigious award.... :)

Ha!

Actually I am the most illiterate history student here! I'm trying to catch up on years of raising kids, adopting kids and getting lazy!! Well time's they are a changin! I guess pushin' 40 will do that. We want to get back to our roots.

Thanks for the laugh, Michelle!

We went the "Word History" route. While in high school, dd#1 read her Spielvogel World History "for fun". It's one of her few treasured high school books. Dd#2 did the same thing with her Spielvogel World History text: The Human Odyssey. The man is an engaging writer.

I have no idea if his facts are straight as I am very weak on world history. Veritas uses it for Omni, so I'm thinking its right on point. Thoughts? Thanks!

We're using it with Omnibus and Gileskirk. It is really interesting to compare and contrast Spielvogel's views which an line with current p.c. thinking -- Christians bad: Muslims innocent victims and Dr G.'s radically different, providential view of the Classical and Middle Ages. Spielvogel is a lot of dates and dead people, with a strong focus on kings and political leaders rather than theological leaders who arguable impact society just as much, if not more so.

I always try to find several and varied sources for history as well as primary reading. It is just so much fun to see how different folks give such opposite spins on a situation. History truly is in the eye of the beholder.

Moira

History truly is in the eye of the beholder.

Moira

You are so right! I've been reading Lies My Teacher Told Me by Loewen, People's History of the US by Zinn, and A History Of The American People by Johnson.

They all have a different angle (and w/ the first 2 authors -- an extreme bias IMHO!)

Moira,

What do you think of Spielvogel's perspective. What book(s) would balance him out?

Thanks!!