Menu

Is it still common for a 9 year old to reverse letters?

My son still regularily has to use the tricks I have shown him (bd eyes etc.) to keep from reversing letters. And in cases where I haven't shown him a trick for keeping them straight, he mixes them up or reverses them. Writing is a slow process for him on a good day, but it is made much worse when he has to stop frequently and figure out which way a "b" goes or which way a "j" turns. I had thought by 9 this would be less of an issues - shoudl I be concerned?

I don't know, but my son will be 9 in June, and he still reverses b/d and occasionally other letters. He reads very well with excellent comprehension, and writing is getting easier the more he does it (I've been slow boiling him in 3rd grade this year ;) ). I think if my son were still slow and struggling to write, I'd be concerned. Since I'm seeing huge improvement, and my son notices the reversals much of the time, I haven't pursued any evaluations. I know they're technically supposed to have outgrown it by now though.

I don't know, but my son will be 9 in June, and he still reverses b/d and occasionally other letters. He reads very well with excellent comprehension, and writing is getting easier the more he does it (I've been slow boiling him in 3rd grade this year ;) ). I think if my son were still slow and struggling to write, I'd be concerned. Since I'm seeing huge improvement, and my son notices the reversals much of the time, I haven't pursued any evaluations. I know they're technically supposed to have outgrown it by now though.

I could have written this. So, ditto.

My son still regularily has to use the tricks I have shown him (bd eyes etc.) to keep from reversing letters. And in cases where I haven't shown him a trick for keeping them straight, he mixes them up or reverses them. Writing is a slow process for him on a good day, but it is made much worse when he has to stop frequently and figure out which way a "b" goes or which way a "j" turns. I had thought by 9 this would be less of an issues - shoudl I be concerned?

All my boys have had this problem. My two older boys, 13 and 11, have now grow out of it. My 8 and soon to be 10 year old still struggles with 6 & 9, b & d, j & g direction, and direction on 4. It doesn't worry me at all, I didn't do anything special for the older two, just pointed out mistakes, and they no longer make those mistakes, and I believe the younger two will out grow out of it too.

Hang tight!

My 7 and 9 year old still reverse some letters and numbers. Yep, both did it today. I did get a little annoyed today about I and was a little firm about correcting them. I think they get a little careless sometimes, I'm not "worried" about it because they can read well but I did get annoyed. Lol