Menu

For thhose of you whose younger child has taken Explore..

Halcyon

Well they should give you percentile versus 8th grade. IMO an average 8th grader these days does Algebra, so I would equate 50% to Algebra readiness as best as this test can do that bc it is not a placement test. Did you also get a triangle chart showing with part of the pyramid your child falls in? This recommends a year for algebra in the mid-region and 2 year acceleration I think in the top region. Something like that anyhow. I don't have our results for this year yet. But I found that to be fairly accurate for my oldest. He fell at the bottom of the top zone but is struggling with Honors Algebra in 6th grade. On the other hand, he has ADHD and is pulling an A- with effort so it seemed relatively accurate.

So I checked my oldest's scores for you. The top region was 15 for 4th grade. DS got a 16. Now in 6th grade I felt he wasn't quite ready for Honors Algebra and I was right. But every kid's scores aren't going to predict success in math class the same. It's just a suggestion based on statistics.

hmmm..Cmites definitely posts a pyramid. It is also in Shoplik's math talent book. I am putting a kid to bed, but I will try to come back later and summarize the pyramid.

I'd be interested. Neither NUMATS nor Duke gives one.

DYS cutoff for the math EXPLORE is 14 in 3rd, 16 in 4th, 18 in 5th, and 21 in 6th. So I would consider those very good scores.

Thanks. He did surprisingly well in Science, Reading and grammar, but 16 in math. He said he couldnt finish it; he tends to work a bit slowly in math.

OK I will summarize the pyramid. It is WAY too much to copy the entire thing.

Range A - the child needs enrichment, honors, AP

Range B - Alg in 7th grade, mentorships, take 2yrs math in one year

Range C - the child needs acceleration starting with individual pacing, taking algebra in 5th or 6th grade, ranging all the way up to grade skipping and early college entrance at the highest peak

Ranges depend on age

Range A is 1-10 for 4th grade math

Range B is 10-15 "

Range C is 15-25 "

Remembering that these are statistical recommendations. Take it with a grain of salt. Like I said, according to the chart, my 12 year old could do algebra in 5th or 6th grade, but he really should have waited until 7th. The placement was based on a school placement test as well (had nothing to do wtih Explore). So whether the scores were inflated thanks to homeschooling or the issues are due to his incredibly slow processing speed /ADHD I do not know.

Ahhh...it mentions under the diagram that this is adapted from Handbook of Gifted Education. I think the scores are not though. They've just applied the concept to statistical score ranges.