Menu

MUS Geometry as a pre-geometry course

EKS

My son is 5th grade age (just turned 11) and is taking Algebra I at a b&m private school. He is doing very well with the course despite a terrible teacher and a text that does not teach concepts (Larson).

He will be moving to geometry next year and I am wanting to do a pre-geometry course with him this summer. I'd like to make a pass through all the major concepts in geometry in about 8 weeks.

I'm thinking that MUS might work for this, doing one lesson per day at the beginning and then stretching the lessons over two days when we get to the proofs. I envision that we'd watch the video together and then do a lesson worksheet and review worksheet orally (as a conversation on the couch with a whiteboard).

Has anyone used MUS Geometry this way?

I looked into MUS briefly before settling on Jurgensen. I decided not to use MUS for geometry but I think it would make a great pre geometry course. Unfortunately I returned the set so am unable to give a more detailed review.

We are doing MUS Algebra I right now and plan on using their Geometry book next. Since they updated and revamped their upper grades and included extra honors pages, the program has more than met our needs. We switched from Saxon last year when I had heart surgery. DS12 loves it. It has filled in some gaps that we didn't know he had from Saxon (he had always made an A). Each lesson has two lesson , three review sheets, an honors sheet, and the test. They are encouraged to skip the second lesson sheet if they understand the material. We usually do the video, a lesson sheet, and a review sheet on day 1. The remaining review sheets on Day 2 with the test and honors lesson on day three. A couple of times we used the extra lesson sheet if I thought that he needed the practice. If you spent more time on it, you could do it over the summer.