Menu

Help! I went out of chronological order and I have WP, SL and MFW curriculum choices

Omma

Here's my problem... I did SL Core 1 (Ancient History) and then I jumped right past SL Core 2 (which I still have on my shelf) and went to the first half of American History this past year (using WP AS 1). So now I have to decide between doing the 2nd half of American History (WP AS 2), SL Core 2 (which covers the 2nd half of World History), or MFW ECC (covering World Geography). All three of these curriculums are currently on my shelf, and I am having a hard time planning out the next several years. My dc will be 3rd and 1st graders this year (ages 8 and 6.5).

My 1st grade dd is tired of studying wars, as we spent a lot of time on the Revolutionary War and, more recently, the Civil War. But I am thinking that we should probably go ahead and try to finish AS 2 first (even though I am not excited about it). But then should I go to ECC and then back to the Ancients and just wait on SL Core 2 until after we do a 2nd round of Ancient History. By then my oldest will be older than the 7-10 age range. Also, I know that MFW has the philosophy of not spending time on wars and the 'bad' parts of history until after doing ECC. And if I held off on AS 2 right now, I could combine it with some of SL Core 4 later on, although I am leaning more towards using either MFW or WP as my main curriculum in the future.

So let me know what order you would choose, and why. And if you want to know how I got myself in this mess, well it started with me wanting to get my fourth Core from SL (which was Core 2) so that I'd have free forum access and be an Heirloom member with continual 10% discounts. I guess SL's marketing strategy works very well, doesn't it?!! :tongue_smilie:

Brenda

ds 8, going into 3rd grade

dd 6.5 going into 1st grade (for the 2nd time, as we held her back due to a late November birthday)

And if I held off on AS 2 right now, I could combine it with some of SL Core 4 later on, although I am leaning more towards using either MFW or WP as my main curriculum in the future.

So let me know what order you would choose, and why. And if you want to know how I got myself in this mess, well it started with me wanting to get my fourth Core from SL (which was Core 2) so that I'd have free forum access and be an Heirloom member with continual 10% discounts. I guess SL's marketing strategy works very well, doesn't it?!! :tongue_smilie:

Brenda

ds 8, going into 3rd grade

dd 6.5 going into 1st grade (for the 2nd time, as we held her back due to a late November birthday)

Hmmmmm... I would return the SL Core 2 as fast as I could. You are planning on using either WP or MFW from now on. WP has many programs that will address this time period. There are so many forums and yahoo groups to choose from you really don't need forum access.

If you are not returning it then I would do AS 2 first and then SL 2, because SL is known for being advanced and an older than 10 year old will still benefit from it. ECC would come last because the recommended grade level is 4th-8th and if this is the only time you plan to do a geography course it would be great to do it with older children who are more likely to remember it.

Winter Promise says that they plan to have another one year overview of world history, so if you return Core 2 you could go with that. Right now they have Hideaways in History (k-2), Children Around the World (3-6), Sea and Sky (4-8). Sea & Sky spends more time on the modern era. (I am not quoting the company with the grade levels, but the customers.)

It is my belief that AS 2 will not have as much about wars, there is a focus on inventions and African American History, but you have it on your shelf, I don't. What do you think?

I already bought the majority of cores 1 and 2 (but not the whole thing) and decided to do an about face when the K read alouds and the 2 intermediate readers were not a hit, and DH wanted to know where the fun hands-on stuff was. Here is my plan FWIW...

1 Geography (My own program I have worked up)

2 Winter Promise American Story 1

3 WP AS2

4 SonLight 1+2 history with WP hands-on added

5 Story Of The World 1 Ancients + My Young Folk's Josephus (WP hands

on Israelites)

6 WP Sea and Sky (geography refresher with little brother who starts it in first)

HTH

Thanks for your posts, Carmen and Audrey!

Unfortunately, I cannot return SL Core 2 as I bought it in March of 2007! I do wish I hadn't bought it, but I did!

WP AS 2 has about 6 weeks of the Civil War, which we have already done. I think there is a couple of weeks for WW1 and a whole month of WW2. Plus we have to do a whole month of the West and another couple weeks of the Gold Rush... again! This time it is the Alaskan Gold Rush. I think I am the one who is burned out on these themes, but my dc could probably handle it.

If I did ECC in the fall, then I wouldn't be able to use the geography packets in the World Geography book. MFW recommends doing ECC again in 8th grade, but I don't think I will want to do it again when I could choose SL Core 5 and/or WP's CaTW... or I guess I could combine with CaTW now and then combine ECC with SL Core 5 in 8th grade. I have a love/hate relationship with combining. I often get overwhelmed when I do it, but I love trying to fit the pieces of 2 curriculums together to make a beautiful whole! :001_smile:

This is what I have already done...

(4,3) SL Pre-K

(5,4) SL Core K and MFW K

did GtG for 6 months from April to Sept. that year

(6,5) SL Core 1, WP AW (and MFW 1 for my dd)

(7,6) skipped to WP AS 1 and MFW Adventures, and first 6 wks of WP's AS 2

Now I am thinking of following MFW's guidelines but adding in either WP or SL as I go along. One scenario would be:

(8,7) breeze through WP AS 2 and start ECC

(9,8) finish ECC and do CtG with maybe WP QAW

(10,9) start RtR and SL Core 2

or some other scenario???

Thanks for your ideas and comments. I have even thought about TOG down the line, but (as you can see) I am a hopeless curriculum junkie who needs help, but is loving the ride!!! :auto: :tongue_smilie:

Brenda

Maybe this presents it more clearly. So now I

OK... *since you already have all this stuff*, here is what I would do:

Alternate ECC with AS2... spend 1.5- 2 years to go through the remainder of American history and World Geography. This will break up the "wars" and give you some "spice" in there without completely putting American history on the back burner.

(8, 7) First 18 weeks of ECC and weeks 7-24 of AS2

(9, 8) Last 18 weeks of ECC and weeks 25-36 of AS2

This gives you six weeks to play with, but that's not a bad thing.

I would likely do "Units". Like a unit on the first continent in ECC, then a unit on the Wild West with AS2, then the second continent, followed by the Alaskan Gold Rush.

After you have done these two programs, then decide what you want to do next. I am a firm believer that you can't really mess up history with kids this age. You can choose whatever you want for 5th and 6th grade- WinterPromise Sea and Sky, MFW's CTG. If you're really stressing about the kiddos missing the SOTW 2 years, get SOTW on audio and use it as a story time thingy.

As far as the Sonlight 2 core, I would see about returning it, and if you can't return it, then figure out which books you will be wanting to add to MFW or WP, then sell the rest.

In my politest voice possible - quit trying to make the perfect curriculum. You will drive yourself nuts trying to combine so many things, not to mention spend a bunch of money you don't need to and overwhelm you kids with way too much. Any of these programs are great and complete and all that you need - really.

OK... *since you already have all this stuff*, here is what I would do:

Alternate ECC with AS2... spend 1.5- 2 years to go through the remainder of American history and World Geography. This will break up the "wars" and give you some "spice" in there without completely putting American history on the back burner.

(8, 7) First 18 weeks of ECC and weeks 7-24 of AS2

(9, 8) Last 18 weeks of ECC and weeks 25-36 of AS2

This gives you six weeks to play with, but that's not a bad thing.

I would likely do "Units". Like a unit on the first continent in ECC, then a unit on the Wild West with AS2, then the second continent, followed by the Alaskan Gold Rush.

After you have done these two programs, then decide what you want to do next.

IMO you could do SL 2 next with no problem.

What these ladies had to say is why I bumped it. I did not have this wisdom. Very well said ladies!

Jennifer, I love your plan of alternating!! I would love to do that, but can only afford to buy one program at a time. Pure genious. Listen to her Brenda!!:iagree:

I would return or sell the Sonlight that you are not going to use and then decide on a plan. Which are you drawn to more WP or SL or MFW? I like to have a plan, an order. I am not a jump around kind of person so I would pick a curriculum and stick with it unless something major changed my mind. I am not a Sonlight person so I would choose WP or MFW and just stick with it.

It seems like maybe you like SL but are tired of wars. If that is the only thing keeping you from SL then do ECC and then get back to Sonlight. The geography packets are simply to teach older kids how to do research. I promise they are not inspiring and you will miss nothing if you skip them. (We did ECC with a first grader and 5th grader last year so it is all fresh in my mind.)

In my politest voice possible - quit trying to make the perfect curriculum. You will drive yourself nuts trying to combine so many things, not to mention spend a bunch of money you don't need to and overwhelm you kids with way too much. It is one thing to add a few extra SL readers to WP or MFW program and a whole other thing to try and combine two complete programs. Any of these programs are great and complete and all that you need - really. None of them is perfect but trying to do all of them will push you over the edge and takes away the beauty of buying a pre-planned program!

I understand adding a few extra readers. I do add required reading to MFW but never a whole other program.

I appreciate your thoughts, Cadam! You have figured me out in that my first curriculum love was SL. If I had only had my ds, I would've continued on my merry way using SL all the way through and been happy. However, my dh and I have both discussed how I would totally lose my dd if I only used SL. Somehow I thought that by trying out both MFW and WP, that I would figure out which one I liked best to use, but I like certain aspects of each.

And maybe I just need to change things up a bit, like Snow White has mentioned doing. That's an interesting plan, too!

I asked my dc what they wanted to do this coming year, and they said they wanted to do Rome and knights and castles... which sounds like what Carmen has mentioned in that I could do SL Core 2 next.

I am sounding like that guy on Princess Bride who has the intellectual duel with the dreaded Captain Roberts (Princess Buttercup's true love)...

"Because of... (such and such), I clearly cannot choose the cup in front of me.... and because of... (another such and such), I clearly cannot choose the cup in front of you...."

Sigh...

Brenda

I asked my dc what they wanted to do this coming year, and they said they wanted to do Rome and knights and castles... which sounds like what Carmen has mentioned in that I could do SL Core 2 next.

Brenda

IMO you could do SL 2 next with no problem.

What I meant here is that if you do AS 2 and ECC together, you could still do SL 2 after that. I really think SL is plenty even 1 or 2 years after the recommended age, some WP programs are that way too.

There is no reason you can't do SL Core 2 along with ECC, or with AS 2, the time periods would not be too off... or you could get a used SOTW AG so that you can throw in some activities with SL Core 2. Both suggestions in case your DD would get lost with just SL Core 2. :D

... or you could get a used SOTW AG so that you can throw in some activities with SL Core 2. Both suggestions in case your DD would get lost with just SL Core 2. :D

It sounds like your dd needs the hands on stuff. Is that right? Then if this is what you kids want to do, do the SL that covers that and get the SOTW AG to give you hands on ideas and coloring pages.

LOL pinch poke, you owe me a coke! I tried to rep you but I must be praising you too much lately.:tongue_smilie:

Hello Brenda,

I think you and I both started looking at MFW and WP, coming from SL, at about the same time a couple of years ago. Our kids are the same age and going into the same grade. I was reading your post outloud, dd overheard me, and said, "man that kid must be confused." Ok, she said it, not me.

I don't know what you should use next. Using curriculum just because it's on your shelf is not a viable decision. If you plan on using either MFW or WP as your base, then choose one and follow it. If you want to combine curricula, make a plan for it. ie, MFW ECC with WP?, then CTG with WP?, etc. But really, they are complete curricula on their own. I'll be doing ECC this school year, and when I looked at WP AW (or was it CatW), I realized it would take way too much work to combine as the focus and structure is completely different. There are different parts of it I like, but we don't have enough trees that money grows on. I have a ready-made curriculum that I can tweak to make my life easier (I have to write and plan other facets of dd's education), not complicate it more trying to combine more than I have to.

How about asking your ds what he would like? Or dh? Sometimes when I'm all in a tizzy about something, I get dd's opinion (with the caveat that I may or may not use the suggestion). She can be clear about what she wants or likes. My dh is not very wordy and leaves ALL curriculum decisions to me, but sometimes I talk outloud "to myself" in his presence, and periodically get insight. Like what I wrote about here http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/creativeplay/563797/.

Just throwing this in: Keep in mind with ECC and SL5, they are totally different with different focus. ECC is world geography and SL5 is Eastern Hemisphere- that's it. So, you'd only be using a small part of one or the other.

Just my .02.

LOL pinch poke, you owe me a coke! I tried to rep you but I must be praising you too much lately.:tongue_smilie:

Ha! Ha! I get it! You two clocked in your messages at 3:20 and 3:21 p.m. and wrote the exact same thing! That is so great!

Actually, I have MOH 2 on hand and was originally going to do that alongside Core 2... but once I took a good look at it, it looked too hard for my then 5 dd to grasp (I can try looking at it again this year). I have never looked at STOW or SOTW (whatever it is called) because I had originally been waiting until SL did it in Core 6. Now everything is up for grabs!

And, Heather, what an encryptic message.... and so short! :D I am not sure what I'd do if cost wasn't an issue... I am very happy with what we have chosen to do up to this point (we really enjoyed Am. History this past year), but I have mixed feelings about what would be best to do next. What is best for my ds is different than what would be best for my dd. I guess I'll have to think on that one.

And yes, my dd LOVES hands-on projects... she lives and breathes for them in her homeschool day. And my ds is a hugely strong auditory learner. He can recount very minute details in a story during narration time.

Brenda

Hi, Renai! Yes, I do remember you! So you've decided to go with MFW, then? As you've probably read by now, I really do not have any regrets about the curricula that we have used so far. When I start to think that I wish I hadn't have done SL Core 1, then I remember how my ds adores all the RA's, and we did do Hands 'n Hearts kits for my dd's benefit, plus we did MOH 1 which brought in the Biblical worldview.

However, I am getting older now, and my brain seems to be getting more cluttered (along with the rooms in our house), so I really hear you all when you say to not combine too many major curriculum programs. I am also remembering why I started doing it in the first place. It was because my dc have 2 very different learning styles and interests when it comes to history. My ds absorbs it all at a very deep level. I remember him asking me when we did SL Core K when he was 5... "Mom, why do people have wars? What do people want... 2 castles????" :lol: And my dd has a lot of compassion and tenderness and is very relational and practical oriented (hence, hands-on, but not liking to hear about Nero or Hitler, understandably).

So I think I started all this combining when I thought I'd use SL for him and MFW for my dd. But then they both loved WP's AW and that's how we got introduced to WP.

Brenda

I would do something like SL 2 to finish the cycle and flow you have going. Then, I would plug everyone into MFW preferably starting with ECC and go through their complete 5 yr cycle. MFW is SO easy to use and blends everything together so well.

This also gives you one more year before starting the MFW 5 yr cycle, so both children would fit the cycle better (4th-8th and 2nd-6th). It would just make it so much easier on you to put both in the same program, same level, etc.

Eva

Thanks for your perspective, Eva, and all others who posted.

I just found out that a very dear friend (age 45) has just passed away suddenly, and I am in shock. I will let you all know what I end up deciding, but it may be awhile. My friend was the main leader for our church's Missions Expo (which will be held for the children next week), and then we take off for vacation. Her funeral is Saturday, and then on Monday is the busy Missions Expo which she headed but will not be attending...

I will still read all replies, but will probably put off my final decision until I get back in mid-August. We are flying to a family reunion in Iowa (on my dh's side), as it is his parent's 50th wedding anniversary. I wonder how all these events will affect my perspective now... Life is so short and precious. My friend's heart for missions and caring about people will surely affect me for the future.

Brenda

Thanks for your perspective, Eva, and all others who posted.

I just found out that a very dear friend (age 45) has just passed away suddenly, and I am in shock. I will let you all know what I end up deciding, but it may be awhile. My friend was the main leader for our church's Missions Expo (which will be held for the children next week), and then we take off for vacation. Her funeral is Saturday, and then on Monday is the busy Missions Expo which she headed but will not be attending...

I will still read all replies, but will probably put off my final decision until I get back in mid-August. We are flying to a family reunion in Iowa (on my dh's side), as it is his parent's 50th wedding anniversary. I wonder how all these events will affect my perspective now... Life is so short and precious. My friend's heart for missions and caring about people will surely affect me for the future.

Brenda

I'm very sorry to hear about your loss.

Brenda,

Yes that was quite short for me. :D

(((Hugs))) I will be praying for everything going on right now, and that the Lord gives you direct in this.

Heather

p.s. I did core 2 with a younger child and would have some recommendations for additional books.

Ha! Ha! I get it! You two clocked in your messages at 3:20 and 3:21 p.m. and wrote the exact same thing! That is so great!

Actually, I have MOH 2 on hand and was originally going to do that alongside Core 2... but once I took a good look at it, it looked too hard for my then 5 dd to grasp (I can try looking at it again this year). I have never looked at STOW or SOTW (whatever it is called) because I had originally been waiting until SL did it in Core 6. Now everything is up for grabs!

And, Heather, what an encryptic message.... and so short! :D I am not sure what I'd do if cost wasn't an issue... I am very happy with what we have chosen to do up to this point (we really enjoyed Am. History this past year), but I have mixed feelings about what would be best to do next. What is best for my ds is different than what would be best for my dd. I guess I'll have to think on that one.

And yes, my dd LOVES hands-on projects... she lives and breathes for them in her homeschool day. And my ds is a hugely strong auditory learner. He can recount very minute details in a story during narration time.

Brenda

I see no reason for you to pick one program and stick to it all the way through. Each time period will determine whether you go with either WP or MFW and add in books from corresponding SonLight Cores for your DS. Or go with SL, and add activities for DD. And I would try to get some books on tape if that much reading aloud is too time consuming in addition to the projects. Also keep in mind that DD does not need to listen in on DS and DS does not need to complete any activities. If you want the helps from the SL IG for DS when you are on a MFW or WP program then buy it used instead of getting the whole program. Since you have MOH 2 maybe you could add in some book suggestions for olders from there if DS needs even more supplementing. And you can always ask for more read aloud suggestions on these boards, of course. I really think I have talked all around this and just need to shut up!:lol::auto:

I see no reason for you to pick one program and stick to it all the way through. Each time period will determine whether you go with either WP or MFW and add in books from corresponding SonLight Cores for your DS.

The problem with this scenario is the cycles are different for each program, and geared toward different levels.

re: sticking with one program or not............

By all means, it is not required. I have done allot of switching around for various reasons, but have kept our history cycle going no matter which program I would use at different times.

First, I had jumped around a bit some years back (in different time periods) and didn't like doing that. My kids may not have cared as they were young, but I could see that I preferred the continuity and flow that a chronological study would provide.

After that, I stuck with my 4 yr cycle, even when I didn't like a program and went to something else. However, each program did things a little differently, focused on different areas, had lots of reading or a little reading, covered some extras that others didn't, etc. That has been my biggest problem (or regret), researching programs year after year and trying to keep some continuity in how we did things when I had a new program. I just wish I had seen the bigger picture much sooner and just stayed with a good program that covered topics in the methods I liked, offered a Christian world view, and offered balance. I think BALANCE is the key. We love to read LOTS of books, but if something comes up in our lives for a while and we can't read as many, it is nice to have a program that can flex with us, so school still gets done. You have to find a program that works well for you generally "as is" and you find easy to modify here and there when the need arises.

Eva

I wonder how all these events will affect my perspective now... Life is so short and precious. My friend's heart for missions and caring about people will surely affect me for the future.

Brenda

I meant to respond to this comment.......... We just recently learned that my mother has advanced stage, metastasized cancer. She came home (she lives in an apartment attached to our home) with only a few weeks to live and has been here for over 5 months now. They never located the source of the cancer since she didn't want to do chemo, but we are beginning to thing it may be ovarian cancer. That explains her symptoms, lack of them in some ways, and why it has taken longer than expected and such. Anyhow, she had no problems or symptoms prior to the brief illness that led to her going to the hospital and being diagnosed with the cancer. It was quite a shock. Furthermore, from her family history, she and I had always expected her to live much longer and we thought strokes would be the issue, not cancer. She just turned 65 last month.

I just mention all this as this experience has changed my view on so many things. I began to think about what I would want my children to know or how would I spend my time with them if *I* only had a brief time to live. It sure changes your priorities. Besides, I used to have trouble even thinking about what it would be like when they were older, in their teens for example, but the years have flown by SO quickly, my oldest will be 17 in October, my middle son is taller than I am now and my "baby" is a young lady. I am already thinking about all the things I thought I would get to and didn't and every one of their birthdays for the last few years has been a wake-up call about how time flies.

So, yes, your perspective may change and this is good. Sometimes these things that happen in our lives help us so much to focus and forget about things that just aren't that important in the long run. I remember a lady who used to speak at homeschool conferences for years used to always remind us to ask if something will matter in 5 years and with it matter in eternity.

One more thing about curriculum choices..........Don't go to all the trouble of trying to combine too many things, just pick one thing and trust that to be enough. A child only needs so much history, they don't have to know every last fact there is and will not ever know every last fact. They need good character, to be well read, to write and speak very well, those things are much more important than knowing every history fact there is.

I'll be praying for you, your trip and your planning once you get back to it. Just wait until you are good and ready to start back, even if you wait until September. ;)

Take care.

Eva

Thank you so much, Eva, for your posts! What wisdom you have presented, as the results of raising your dc and bringing your mom home with you to live with a terminal illness.

I am humbled that you would take the time to pray for me, a stranger really. It is so amazing how we can get to know people a little bit from spending time on these forums! Thanks to everyone for their kind words and thoughts.

I was particularly struck by the idea that my dc don't need to know every historical fact and I realized where that was coming from.... it's ME that wants to research out every little detail of history, as I am extremely detail-oriented and analytical by nature. But I've got to think about what it is that my dc need, not just me!

However, I do want to choose curriculum with a strong biblical worldview. What will people say of me when I die? And how will I prepare my dc for life... what methods/programs will I use to train up our dc in the way they should go? What is the way they should go?

I hope that I do spend time meditating on these questions and focusing on the positives of my friend's life. I have always struggled with thinking through what is our educational philosophy (philosophy, goal-setting, etc. has never been a strong suit for our family). I plan to spend some time reflecting on some of these questions, and all of your posts have really helped!

Brenda

I am thinking that I will likely try to use MFW as my main curriculum guide, but now I have to decide how to implement Core 2 and AS 2. Should I use these programs first, or wait until I implement them in the MFW cycle? We'll see... I'll let you all know.

Thanks for all your help!!!

Brenda

If you could figure out how to use either the MFW 4 yr (history only) or 5 yr (including ECC for geography) cycle and nothing else, that would be the easiest by far. It is just a matter of jotting down on paper what grade each child will be in each year for the next 5+ years and how the MFW cycle would best fit in.

The main MFW program for 4th - 8th seems to grow with the child, offering a little more depth each year. If you finish the entire 5 yrs of MFW and a child is still in Jr. High, you can start their high school program as early as 7th grade. I recently saw a chart at the Houston HS conference that stated this. I would say it just depends on the child and if it is a boy or girl as well, since girls might start it at an earlier age in most cases. That is something you could keep in mind though.

Another thing I want to mention........... Don't judge MFW by the info on their website. If you can get your hands on a copy of the TM, you can really see how things work SO much better. Also, you can look at samples of most of the books online at CBD and Amazon.

It looks like you have two options:

one is to wait one more year so the plan looks like this......

4th / 2nd - ECC

5th / 3rd - CtoG

6th / 4th - RtoR

7th / 5th - Exp-1850

8th / 6th - 1850-Mod

This would be great for your oldest and your younger one can start back and do CtoG in 7th and RtoR in 8th or start their high school work in 8th. Just wait and see when you get closer.

The second option and maybe the best???.......

3rd / 1st - ECC

4th / 2nd -CtoG

5th / 3rd - RtoR

6th / 4th - Exp-1850

7th / 5th - 1850-Mod

Then, your younger one would do

6th - CtoG

7th - RtoR

8th - either Exp-1850 or start the high school materials

Your oldest could start the high school materials in 8th or do CtoG

When we did a year of WP ancients, my oldest was in 8th at the time and used many of the books that are in CtoG (even the core), so it would work through 8th. All you do is pick older books for the book basket.

About the other items you already own. I never use something just because I already own it. I pick what I want to use and use it, period. You can sell all the other materials that you decide NOT to use.

HTH

Eva

I should add, if you still really want to use the other items, maybe someone will have some ideas for you. It has been YEARS since I used the early grades in SL. My oldest is going into 11th grade and he did them back in K-3. We tried SL again about 2 yrs ago and didn't care for it.

eva

Okay, I think I've figured this out, and I'll let you all know the how's and why's of what I've decided.

This coming year, we will go ahead and do WP's AS 2, but with the addition of Truthquest III which I forgot that I have! :001_smile: Truthquest adds some important commentary that I think fills in the missing gaps for a biblical worldview that I don't get from WP AS 2 alone. Also, the other thread running right now about how Memoria Press recommends Am. History for youngsters has also influenced my decision. Truthquest feels the same way that Memoria Press feels, and mentions that now we can study the history of your grandparents, parents and you! And before going into WWI, Truthquest introduces the topic of war by discussing it from a biblical worldview, which I like.

Also, I don't see where else I can fit in AS 2 if I don't do it this coming year!

Next year, we will go ahead and start ECC. I could try to alternate it with SL Core 2, but I will most likely wait and use the Core 2 material alongside of MFW's RtR when we naturally get to it in the MFW cycle.

Once I found my copy of Truthquest and realized that it begins with the reconstruction years following the Civil War, it helped me to clarify reasons why I could do AS 2 this year, after all.

Thank you everyone for your ideas and help. Heather, I was going to ask you about SL Core 2 additional book recommendations, but I think I will hold off on that for now.

I feel much better now! Thanks again to all!! :grouphug:

Brenda

Ha! Ha! I just showed my dh all the WP AS 2 books and my plan for this coming year. For a second I thought he would veto it, but then he kept reading and reading all the great AS 2 books and said he really liked them for our dc! Then he saw the book, "Snow Treasure", and he wanted to read it RIGHT AWAY to our dc, as he remembers this book being read to him when he was young and he had been looking and looking for this book to buy!!! I told him he had to wait until we got to the Nazi period of history and he reluctantly agreed, but said that HE wanted to read this book aloud when we come to it (not me)! :lol::lol::lol:

I am very happy and content with our decision now, and so is my dh! Thought you'd all like hearing that story. For a second I was worried that I'd be back to the drawing board, but all is well!

Brenda

I am very happy and content with our decision now, and so is my dh! Thought you'd all like hearing that story. For a second I was worried that I'd be back to the drawing board, but all is well!

Brenda

Yay! My DH just cares how much I spent and typically gets mad if I cover all the subjects!:lol:

I am glad you are happy with it.:thumbup: