Menu

Hake Grammar? Does it have enough Vocab, Spelling?

We might not be able to do Calvert next year so I am planning ahead. CBD has this listed as an all inclusive Grammar, Vocabulary, Spelling and Writing program. We would not be using the writing because we use IEW, but I wondered about the rest? Thanks in advance!

It has been a couple years since I used it, but I don't remember there being any direct spelling instruction. The vocabulary is one or two words per lesson; it isn't extensive, but it is adequate. Whether it is 'enough' would depend on your personal expectations. When we used it, I believe we also used Wordly Wise so we didn't do the vocabulary (or the writing) and I think that was the deal-breaker - it was just too disjointed having to overlook several questions in each lesson because we weren't using that part of the program. I think it would be best to do it all or none. Or course, that is just my $.02.

There is no spelling. Anyone who says Hake has spelling is wrong.

There are two vocabulary words with each lesson. I don't really see how someone would skip or the vocabulary. You just read the words and definitions, and in the exercises there are a few questions pertaining to the words.

The writing is also completely separate. It comes in a separate book and is not referred to at all in the grammar text. Easy to skip if you want, easy to implement if you want. You do a writing lesson every once in a while. There is a schedule in the front of the book that tells you when.

We like Hake. My daughter chose it because she felt it was most like FLL. It takes longer each day than I would like, but she is happy with it, and it's thorough.

Tara

I think it depends on how much spelling you want to do. Hake 6 has a few specific spelling lessons -- out of a little more than 100. So, not much. However, the vocabulary often includes homophones and requires the student to distinguish between the different spellings of those words. In addition, Hake includes prefixes, suffixes and root words within its vocabulary lessons, and I often see these items in spelling programs, so I suppose that could also be considered spelling. Finally, if you do the dictation passages each week, you can take any words your dc mis-spell in dictation and use those for spelling lists. That's about all the spelling you could get from the program, which isn't much, imo, but some might find that quite sufficient.

Personally, we use additional spelling and vocabulary programs, but we also make flashcards that include root words from Hake for root word study, and we find the vocabulary in Hake to be a good addition to our other word studies.

On the other hand, if one wanted to streamline language arts and didn't mind a light emphasis on spelling and vocab, Hake would be fine. It just all depends on what you feel is adequate for your own personal situation. Are spelling and vocabulary included in it? Yes. Are those aspects rigorous? No. If you wanted rigorous spelling and vocabulary studies, would you have to supplement? Absolutely.

I like Hake, but it's too much review. I know, what a complaint right? But no, it's just TOO MUCH. After awhile I started having my son just skip some of it because it was busy work. Not sure I'll buy the next books.

I know a lot of folks do two books from the series over the middle years (usually 6 and 8) because the review is so much. We did not do any other than 8 and having done it, I don't think I would have done all 4 books. However, I am convinced doing 8 was one of the smartest moves we did on our homeschool journey.

It doesn't have much vocab. A word or two per lesson. Which is still something, but it's not really a vocab program. I didn't notice any spelling in 6, but we haven't gone through the whole thing yet.

I like Hake, but it's too much review. I know, what a complaint right? But no, it's just TOO MUCH. After awhile I started having my son just skip some of it because it was busy work. Not sure I'll buy the next books.

LOL! It does have a LOT of review. I find that we are doing most of the lessons orally, and if I find that a particular lesson contains too much review, we'll just move on to the next lesson. We are finding our groove with this program in that respect.

Oh, why did I never think of doing it orally? I could see that being very successful. I think my girls (and me) just got bored with all the review, but had it been done orally, we could have whipped through it more quickly and with very good retention, I suspect.

Oh, why did I never think of doing it orally? I could see that being very successful. I think my girls (and me) just got bored with all the review, but had it been done orally, we could have whipped through it more quickly and with very good retention, I suspect.

Yes, it was quite a relief to all of us when I decided that we would just do the whole thing orally, for the most part. Sometimes, I have dds skip the review set entirely, or if I need a few moments of prep time, I'll have them do just the odd numbered items in their notebooks. I really think it's quite a flexible program that way. The only thing the girls really love, and ask to do on the whiteboard, is diagramming the sentences at the end. :laugh: