Menu

Creative problem solving math for 1st graders?

maikon

I am a long time lurker and first time poster here. I have a kindergartner who does Miquon grade 2 level worksheets and finishing up Singapore PM 1A workbook. I teach so many other math topics and he grasps it so easily for the first time and he never seems to forget it even after few months. He is so much interested in math that he is ready to do the workbook for more than an hour. But I stop him after certain limits. I get exhausted (and bored) but he never seems so.

Now I am looking for some creative problem solving math books or resources meant for elementary grades. Do you have some suggestions for it?

I have looked into MEP and it is not my cup of tea. We have done some exercises here and there but I don't like it as it is too wordy for me. We are also doing Singapore style challenging word problems which he loves.

This is what I mean by creative problems:

there are 3 jars of different sizes.one jar holds 8 litres

of milk,the other 2 jars of 5 litres and 3 jars are

empty.There is no measuring level or marks in all the

jars.Juggle between these 3 jars and get 2 jars containing

4litres each at the end.

These are too difficult for 1st graders, I think. I am looking for some similar problems like above which are suitable for 1st or 2nd graders. Are there any such books? How about Edward Zaccaro's books?

• 3 weeks later...

My daughter really likes Zoombinis Logical Journey and Mountain Rescue - they are pc-based computer games that follow a group of creatures through a series of obstacles. You need to use logic and problem solving skills to get through them. It's for 8 and above, but she started it when she was 6 (with a little help from me). Now she can do it on her own. My 11-year old also gets into it too. I got them on Amazon