Menu

Getting b and d mixed up (and p)

My son does not get the sounds of these letters mixed up, but we've been trying to do more writing lately

(Sentences and we're supposed to be working on stories as well)

And I've noticed that he writes d when he should write b and vice versa (and sometimes p instead of g. Though not the other way around)

Is it too late to use the Kid puzzle to help him see the difference?

http://www.amazon.com/Lauri-2120-See-The-Difference/dp/B000F8R6H2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1362499524&sr=8-1&keywords=lauri+puzzle

(I don't know why this is underlining and can't make it stop right now, sorry.....) The above is a great idea, because I think, in my short experience so far, that it is about paying attention to the shape (unless there is some bigger developmental issue which we haven't experienced). One thing we've done is to write the letters very large on paper and have my daughter put cooked, chilled spaghetti over the lines. She loved it, and it helped her notice the precise shape of each letter.

(I don't know why this is underlining and can't make it stop right now, sorry.....) The above is a great idea, because I think, in my short experience so far, that it is about paying attention to the shape (unless there is some bigger developmental issue which we haven't experienced). One thing we've done is to write the letters very large on paper and have my daughter put cooked, chilled spaghetti over the lines. She loved it, and it helped her notice the precise shape of each letter.

Just LOLing at the underline, sorry!

my DD who is FOUR always strufggled with b and d.... until i introduced cursive writing. Cursive is actyally easy for her. No more reversals - ever! if you dont want to go cursive way - just teach them to write it properly... b and d is not "line+ circle",

b - line, travel half way, curve to the bottom

d - start with a letter c, then travel high up, then all the way down.