Menu

Lewis and Clark LONG Road Trip???

NotSoObvious

(I've thought about posting this many times, but don't think I have yet...)

Long story, but we are *thinking* of driving from VA to UT, then CA this summer for a family reunion. We'll be camping and we'll have our great border collie.

Oh, did I mention I'll be doing it alone?! ;) My husband will fly in for the reunion, then fly home to work.

We'll take four days in the middle of June to get from VA to the Grand Canyon, then go to Lake Powell. We'll visit family in UT, then CA for as long as we'd like.

Sometime after the 4th of July we need to get home...

My girls (twin 10 year olds) want to backtrack the Lewis and Clark Trail??!!!! I'm having a hard time finding out what there is to *see* exactly.

That would mean driving from Southern CA, to Oregon, across Idaho and Montana to North Dakota, down through South Dakota and over to St. Louis, MO. From there it's a straight shot home.

I'm trying to figure out how to do this without breaking the bank. There are SO many possibilities, it's hard to narrow it down to a few stops.

*We'll have our camping gear with us and I'd love to camp, but I can not do full days of driving after sleeping on the ground. So, we could drive, sleeping in a hotel, drive, camp for a few nights, drive a little, sleep in a hotel, drive, etc.

Does anyone have any advice on where to stop from Oregon to St. Louis?

Do you have any tricks for eating cheaply while traveling/camping? We are not the most frugal travelers, but we aren't super picky. If I had a map of Whole Foods locations, we'd be set. I just know we can't eat out every meal for that long of a stretch.

You want to start at Fort Clatsop Oregon where L&C wintered over in 1805. There is an Oregon State Park campground nearby called Fort Stevens state park and it is a wonderful place to camp (there's an old shipwreck on the beach there). If you don't want hardcore camping, try to reserve a yurt. They have heat, electricity, bunk bed and futon, and a door that locks all for around $36 per night. Fort Clatsop has been re-built. In summer they have some interpreters there to explain life at the fort. If you have lots of time, a little further south on the coast you can see where the company's saltworks were--they spent the winter making salt out of sea water to be able to preserve meat for the return trip. There is a little museum at Fort Clatsop. There is another one just across the Columbia River in WA that is also good.

There's a start. You'll then be driving east on I-84 along the Columbia River Gorge. They of course traveled down the Columbia River but I am personally ignorant of other L&C stops in Oregon (there are a few good Oregon Trail stops if you're interested...)

You want to start at Fort Clatsop Oregon where L&C wintered over in 1805. There is an Oregon State Park campground nearby called Fort Stevens state park and it is a wonderful place to camp (there's an old shipwreck on the beach there). If you don't want hardcore camping, try to reserve a yurt. They have heat, electricity, bunk bed and futon, and a door that locks all for around $36 per night. Fort Clatsop has been re-built. In summer they have some interpreters there to explain life at the fort. If you have lots of time, a little further south on the coast you can see where the company's saltworks were--they spent the winter making salt out of sea water to be able to preserve meat for the return trip. There is a little museum at Fort Clatsop. There is another one just across the Columbia River in WA that is also good.

There's a start. You'll then be driving east on I-84 along the Columbia River Gorge. They of course traveled down the Columbia River but I am personally ignorant of other L&C stops in Oregon (there are a few good Oregon Trail stops if you're interested...)

Thank you SO much! That's very helpful.

Can you recommend a good book to read before I plan all of this?

Look on Amazon under "Lewis and Clark Road Trip." They offer several books (used!) on the topic.

I have a book but it is in my son's room currently and I don't recall the title.

I would love to travel along the Lewis and Clark trail sometime.

There is an overlook in Council Bluffs, Iowa, along with a monument that is worth a visit if you are going through that area.

Also, the museum in Nebraska City is great.

Check out this blog. She and her two daughters travelled the Louis and Clark Trail. She has a lot of good information.

http://jenpb.blogspot.com/

Another resource to check out is the National Parks. There is a trail map and they have information on stops and things to see on the trail.

I say go for it!