Menu

"group buy" on 3:1 spirals for Proclick, anyone interested?

kemilie

I'd love to have a bunch of different sizes of larger spirals to use with my Proclick, bur ordering 100 at a time of 1 size makes that a bit cost prohibitive! I was wondering if anyone else is in the same situation and also *yearns* to stock pile different spiral sizes! :) I could place a large order at mybinding.com, we could split it up, and then I could mail them all out to you - so it would be the cost of the order divided by who wants to participate, then a flat rate postage box... if, for example, we ordered every other size they offer (just a random "cost analysis" I did) - that would be 16 different coil sizes, 1600 of them, for ~$750. So if 5 of you were interested we would each pay $125 for 266 coils in 16 sizes. Or something like that. Preferably more people to split the cost out more!

Anyway... perhaps I'm the only person obsessed with coils for everything I'm running through my Proclick, but on the off chance I have good company out here in cyber land - thought I'd write a post!

• 1 month later...

I just got 3 boxes - 1" silver, 3/4" green and 1/2" blue - and was thinking of listing some on the For Sale board here, in quantities of 10 or something. If anyone wants some of them, PM me and I'll give you the details. I totally agree that 100 each is more than I'll ever use, and I wish they came in a better assortment. I did email the mybinding people about at least assorting colors within a size, and they said no. I like that their stuff is made in USA though.

I am definitely going to be ordering. I will update this thread if you're subscribed when I place my order and whomever is interested I'm happy to send an assortment on to you for cost plus shipping. :) I am in love with my 3:1 pitch binder and have been busy having spines sliced off of everything around here - you might even say I'm a bit crazy? haha!!

Has anyone actually used the spiral coils? I periodically get tempted to try them out, but it seems like coiling something by hand would be super difficult. I would love to hear from someone who has actually gone through the process, if there are any tips, opinions, or videos/sites I can visit to learn more about whether or not the coils would be worth the time. Thanks!

Has anyone actually used the spiral coils? I periodically get tempted to try them out, but it seems like coiling something by hand would be super difficult. I would love to hear from someone who has actually gone through the process, if there are any tips, opinions, or videos/sites I can visit to learn more about whether or not the coils would be worth the time. Thanks!

The 3:1 coils are super easy to use, just make sure you are using the proper size coil for the amount of paper you have. They aren't designed to be used in materials you want to open and close on a regular basis. They are more cost effective than the actual 3:1 coils, however.

I ended up buying two sizes when I bought my Pro-click originally. They've been quite handy.

I want to bind some things that are larger than the largest Proclick spines, and I also think the really small coils will be fun for the kids to make/put together all sorts of their own little books. :) I have one size of spiral right now, there was a seller on Amazon that is now gone. I find them no harder than the proclick spines to put, it's just a little bit of quick twirling and you pinch the end so it doesn't come back undone! My coils from Amazon where 4:1 pitch, however, and the proclick is 3:1 (this means 3 holes in an inch as opposed to 4 holes in an inch) You can use the 4:1 pitch spiral in the 3:1 holes, but (my personal opinion) is that the pages don't turn quite as smoothly as the angle/natural spring in the wire is being distorted and a bit off.

Arboreal - no handling fee will be necessary, I'd be happy to offset some of the cost of buying these darn things in lots of 100, that's all! :)

They really aren't that big of a hassle to twist in by hand? Did you all get wire cutters/crimpers or anything to deal with bending the ends back? Thanks!

I sometimes use a binder clip to hold one end of the stack of pages, so the holes don't get misaligned while I twist the coil through from the other end. Then it's pretty easy to spin it through, and I bend the ends with needlenose pliers, after cutting off any extra length with regular scissors.

• 2 months later...

It's been months... but I finally placed my orders.  End of next week, hopefully, I should have the following sizes of 3:1 pitch coil in lots of lovely colors:

6mm (30 pages)

8mm (52 pages)

10mm (75 pages)

12mm (92 pages)

14mm (115 pages)

16mm (135 pages)

18mm (155 pages)

22mm (190 pages)

25mm (220 pages)

28mm (250 pages)

Keep in mind that if you're looking at spiraling some books you've cut the spines off that the actual # of pages is half of the page count of the book.  I know, I know... obvious.  But someone had to point it out to me!!

When they get here I will figure out what I can fit in a flat rate box.  If you are interested in some of these sizes, shoot me a note and I can let you know what the cost would be (smaller coils cost less than the larger ones... :)).  I have 100 of each of them, so obviously TOO many!