Menu

Musicals kids would love

My daughters both really like Wicked, Seussical the Musical, Thoroughly Modern Millie, and Monty Python's Spamalot; they request songs from these by name. They also seem to enjoy every other musical that I listen to and express liking: The Book of Mormon, Evita, Rent, Funny Girl, Oklahoma, My Fair Lady, Les Miserables, Sweeny Todd, The Phantom of the Opera, ... some more than others, of course. I love musicals and opera. The girls like the musicals decidedly more than opera.

Disney movies have excellent soundtracks, and are easily musicals almost all of them. Your daughters are older than mine, but I wouldn't be surprised if they liked those, too.

You want movie versions?

Because two more I can think of that don't have movie versions is The Secret Garden and You're a Good Man Charlie Brown. You may be able to find the Broadway recordings at your library. If they're familiar with the story they can simply place the songs in their context.

So my girls are becoming musical theater junkies. My older one is working on her third performance. They just watched The Music Man and loved it. What other musicals come to mind that 9 & 7 year old girls might like?

Thanks.

For musical movies (all family-friendly, esp. since your DC are only 7yo and 9yo):

Movie versions of stage musicals:

- Annie

- The King and I

- Scrooge

- Oliver!

- The Wizard of Oz

- My Fair Lady

- Mary Poppins

- The Sound of Music

- Seven Brides for Seven Brothers

- Chitty Chitty Bang Bang

These were only done as movies:

- Yankee Doodle Dandy

- Singing in the Rain

- Meet Me in St. Louis

- Hello Dolly

- Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (the Gene Wilder one)

Animated musicals:

- Beauty and the Beast (Disney)

- Aladdin (Disney)

- Tangled (Disney)

Fred Astaire films, such as Top Hat, Royal Wedding, Shall We Dance....

Andy Rooney/Judy Garland films such as Babes in Arms, and the Andy Hardy movies

Annie Get your Gun, Kiss Me Kate, Brigadoon, An American In Paris,Guys and Dolls- I am looking at a list of top 100 musicals and so many of them have great music but themes would be a little mature-Camelot, West Side Story, Showboat, etc. I think if you googled Danny Kaye, Esther Williams, Frank Sinatra. Dean Martin and Bing Crosby as well as Fred Astair you could get a good sample of the old fashioned musical without the super mature content. I love, love, love musicals and am thankful that one of my boys will tolerate a musical with me once in awhile.