Menu

didn't think i'd make it this far! 6th grade..

I just jumped right in to homschooling 3 years ago and figured I'd take each year as it came. I am now getting ready for a 6th grader and wanted to see if you all thought this would do. (last year i said that 'next year' i would put her in a program like calvert so that there was less interaction between the two of us and so that I knew everything was getting sufficiently covered, but I didn't go through with it for this year. this year i've said the same thing for 'next year', but now I feel like we can keep going as we have been... ) So tell me what you think:

Math: We have Math Mammoth and it has been working well. Just go ahead with MM6? I notice a few of you add things here and there to math which I don't, to be honest. We just follow the book day in and day out. My DD gets along ok with math, but she's not ahead or anyting.

Spelling: She's been doing Spelling Workout since 3rd grade... what comes after level F? She spells just fine.

Grammar: Not sure.... we're doing things here and there this year b/c last year we did FLL 4. I've been keeping my eye on grammar choices here and I want to look into Hake since I want a non religious program.

Writing: We've just now begun WWS1 and I'd like to take our time working through it, so I'm fine to keep this.

Reading/Lit: well, we've been picking selections based on lists and recommendations. or we read books that match history like from www.classicalhouseoflearning.com lists. Do I need to anything more detailed in 6th grade?

History: We'll be in SOTW3 and I can add more writing/outlining/timeline work for her than her 3rd grade sister.

Science: We're doing some chemistry right now after a first semester of some earth sciences. I have Elemental Science Biology we could do that would be level appropriate for her. She has never had a year on physics... shoud I make this year a physics year?

She does art, horseback riding, and religious lessons all during the week.. plus logic at co-op.

Should I push to add Latin?

Looking forward to some thougths.

I think what you have listed sounds great! For the record, I don't use more than one math program either. There's just not time for it here... and I think the one I'm using is complete and doesn't need supplementing. I'm sure that's true of MM too. I think Hake is definitely worth checking out for grammar. I'm fine with religious references and I still like it better than R&S, (My oldest is using the 8th grade book - that's the only one I have any experience with). For Literature I think you're fine. Lots of people have said that the lessons towards the end of WWS cover some response to literature writing and so if you complete WWS you will get some good lit. instruction along the way. (Can't speak from personal experience there, LOL). SWO G and H are more roots based so I think that's a good place to be in 6th grade. If you decide to do some physics for science I recommend Exploration Education. It's on the computer as well as has a notebook/lab book. The explanations are great, but even better when it's time to do an experiment (make a race car, or whatever), the cd-rom demonstrates how to make it so you know what you are doing. We wouldn't have been successful without it. Latin - we are on again, off again about latin here, but I really like GSWL as a first introduction. It's so straightforward, quick, get's to the fun of translating quickly, not laborious at all.

Sounds like things are going well for you. Good for you!

I think your plan looks great.

What about vocabulary? If you want her to be exposed to stems and such, but don't want to push Latin, I would recommend something like Caesar's English (MCT).

Oh, and I only supplement MM6 because my daughter is a math and science gal - we're using MM6 as prealgebra, planning to move into algebra 1 next year (in grade 7), so I add in the very few things that MM6 is missing to be considered "prealgebra" (which isn't much, frankly). If she WEREN'T advanced/accelerated in math, I would feel no need to do this - Math Mammoth is a fantastic stand alone program, so don't worry about that.

One thing I don't think I see enough of is Science. Personally, I think that a laid back approach to Science is a good thing. However, in middle school I think it's time to ramp up in the Science department. ie: More challenging books, flashcards/some quizzes and tests and such. THat can wait till 7th if you really feel she isn't ready however.

Another concern is the area of vocabulary. Maybe Worldly Wise would be enough.

Also, typing and computer use. She should be improving her typing speed and accuracy, able to do simple Power Point Presentations, able to use Word well, just little things like that. That can be done easily at home. If you don't have Power POint, you can use Google DOcs for free online, and it has a Slide Presentation program thingie that we love.

As far as Spelling, if she spells well then I guess you don't need to worry about it. Lots of people drop spelling after 6th grade but I can't imagine doing that only because I have one average and one poor speller. I think this might be a good time to assign words from her own errors. At this stage, that should be fun and easy...??

Lastly, you may want to throw in a few Progeny Press or other Literature Guides so she can begin thinking more critically about her reading and applying it to her worldview, as well as learning literary themes. One or two is enough. THey can be very time consuming and it's the idea of the type of thinking that you want, rather than dissecting every book she reads. I am very happy with the thoroughness of the Progeny guide we used this year. They are Christian.

As far as Latin, I don't really know...this late in the game it might be better to just do a Word Roots program and then start her foreign language that she desires for communication...ie Spanish, French, etc. My dd is doing the new ROsetta Stone online course which is available on the ipad. It's super expensive (something like 230 for a year) but it is awesome!! She's only in 3rd grade, and she has learned a lot. My ds has done Greek forever, so he will just continue with that.

As far as science goes, have you planned out which branches of science you want her to cover through the end of logic stage? My DS gets bored with one branch of science all year, so we've fallen into the pattern of doing a semester at a time and then switching. Right now we're doing Elemental Science logic stage biology, this fall we'll do a semester of ES logic earth science, then back to finish ES logic biology. Anyway, I've got a loose plan mapped out to get him to the end of 8th grade that ensures he gets a complete logic stage rotation through each branch of science, probably using a mix of CPO texts and Elemental Science. All that to say, I don't think you can go wrong with either biology or physics, as you mentioned in your post, but I find it helpful to have a plan in mind to make sure nothing gets skipped before starting high school.

The only other thing I can think of to add to what others have posted is that if Spellling Workout is going well for her, you could finish out the series with G and H. SWO G & H introduce Latin & Greek root words and SWB recommends them for 6th grade in WTM. Then WTM advises switching to a formal vocab program in 7th and 8th (it recommends Vocab from Classical Roots). FWIW, my DS10 starting using Wordly Wise 3000 workbooks (switched from SWO) this year and he has asked to continue using WW next year because he likes it so much. WW also includes word roots and teaches vocab in context. If you want to know more about it, let me know.

HTH!

ETA: We like Hake for grammar and DS says he wants to continue it next year as well. (Previously we used Easy Grammar, which is good too, but doesn't teach diagramming and DS needs the spiral review such as that offered in Hake.)

Oh, and I only supplement MM6 because my daughter is a math and science gal - we're using MM6 as prealgebra, planning to move into algebra 1 next year (in grade 7), so I add in the very few things that MM6 is missing to be considered "prealgebra" (which isn't much, frankly). If she WEREN'T advanced/accelerated in math, I would feel no need to do this - Math Mammoth is a fantastic stand alone program, so don't worry about that.

I agree. We're using Math Mammoth as well and plan to continue with MM6 as pre-algebra. I've compared the scope of MM with a few other frequently-mentioned pre-algebra programs. I don't think MM6 is lacking much to be a full pre-algebra program. I anticipate that DS will test out of the first couple of chapters of MM6 since they are mostly repeats from MM5, and any pre-algebra that is missing from MM6 we will then cover with MM's grade 7 "worksheets" to finish out the year. So, OP, if MM is working well for you and your DD, I'd say stick with it!

Math: If MM is working well, stick with it! She's on track to be successful with pre-algebra I'm 7th.

Spelling: When she finishes the series she's in, I'd probably just quit if you feel she spells reasonably well.

Reading/Lit: Now would be a good time to consider learning about literature. Perhaps Figuratively Speaking this year and then Lightening Literature 7 next year?

Writing: WWS will give her a good start.

Grammar: Hake or Growing with Grammar or Voyages in English all seem fairly straightforward. Or you could ditch grammar and focus on writing instead.

Science: I've never seen the Elemental series, so I can't comment. We've loved the science from Ellen McHenry if you're looking for something different.

Latin: you could try Minimus with both your 3rd an 6th grader. It will be a fun taste of Latin for all of you and you could decide if you want something more serious or not.

For those of you recommending Wordly Wise 3000, do I need to buy the student text AND the teacher book? that would come to about $65-$70...?

We just use the student workbook and the answer key. Answer key is definitely not required, I could do without it, but I appreciate it for saving time, especially at the higher vocab levels. The student workbook contains plenty and DS is mostly independent with it, so I've never felt the need for a TM. You should be able to get workbook plus answer key for $15 or less depending where you buy.

ETA: DS also uses the free website wordlywise3000.com every week for free reinforcement activities, a.k.a. online games, based on that week's lesson. He likes it. He has asked to continue WW for next year.

Spelling Workout has a level G and H. They change up the format a bit and included crosswords, analogies... We used them, but, we did not follow them precisely. For example, we skipped the review as we went along and then at the end of the year she went back and did all the reviews one week at a time. Within each lesson we cherry picked the activities. We did no testing/quizzes. The idea was to keep her thinking about spelling and keep up practice, but not drill.

We also used Wordly Wise and like with Taryn, Dd just liked it.

We really found Hake 8 to be a great way to cap off Grammar.

We put most of our Language Arts energy into reading, reading, reading!

I agree with the others suggesting to give science its due in the middle years. It is just a great time to let them explore. We were lucky to have really great local opportunities to take advantage of and build upon at home.