Menu

Time involved in Teaching Textbooks Geometry

My daughter is at lesson 80 in Teaching Textbooks Geometry- It is taking longer and longer each day to complete a lesson. I was wondering how long it takes your kids to do a lesson in TT Geometry. Oh and do you have them do all the proofs or just a few? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Depending on the difficulty of the lesson and on the distractibility of my student that day, I would say it takes 1.5-3 hours to watch the lecture and practice problems, review the instruction in the text, do all the problems including all proofs, check answers, watch solutions video for missed problems, and rework problems that were misunderstood (as opposed to those with silly calculation errors). Keep in mind that there are multiple ways to do proofs, so it helps if you can stay current with what your dc is learning in order to spot correct reasoning that doesn't line up exactly with the solution offered. When I can be right there watching, things tend to go faster. Remember in high school how you stopped daydreaming and got back to work when the teacher walked by your desk and looked at what you were doing? It works at home, too. :001_smile:

For Geometry, I went over the lesson. They worked the problems with me close by to offer assistance if needed. I usually was right there while they went through proofs and approved them on the spot. (Too many possible solutions to use the answer key.) I checked other problems for correctness. They reworked or we did together any that they missed (which tended to be few since I was there for questions in the first place). Normal time was around 1 hour.

I do not stress tremendously over Geometry. Working proofs is a great mental exercise, but not something that is that is a hill to die on. I do think they are important. I just don't think I would allow them to take up hours out of the day. (They tend to be where students working alone get really hung up. Particularly bad when the student really isn't off, just working it in a different manner than the solution given.)

Depending on the difficulty of the lesson and on the distractibility of my student that day, I would say it takes 1.5-3 hours to watch the lecture and practice problems, review the instruction in the text, do all the problems including all proofs, check answers, watch solutions video for missed problems, and rework problems that were misunderstood (as opposed to those with silly calculation errors). Keep in mind that there are multiple ways to do proofs, so it helps if you can stay current with what your dc is learning in order to spot correct reasoning that doesn't line up exactly with the solution offered. When I can be right there watching, things tend to go faster. Remember in high school how you stopped daydreaming and got back to work when the teacher walked by your desk and looked at what you were doing? It works at home, too. :001_smile:

:iagree: This except it will take hime between 1 - 1.5 hours (daydreaming issues) because I correct the problems. I've just started setting aside Friday for him to go over his missed problems for the week. I do have him complete all the problems, including the proofs. He just finished lesson 74 and sof far there have only been 2 proofs/lesson - a very reasonable number. He is even getting the knack of them ;-) .

Depending on how long the rest of the lesson takes, I often let ds do the proofs orally. He just jots down enough to remember what has been proven - for example he will actually say all of the steps & the reasons, but maybe only write down that 2 triangles are proven similar & what the ratio is, then continue from there.