Menu

AP classes at local high school-will we find discrimination?

I am trying to figure out my daughter 11th grade course work and I am literally, checking everything out! I feel like I am scattered all over-should she take a CC class? AP class? if an AP class, where? on line? local high school? Our community college couirse schedule doesn't come out until April, and by then, some of the on line classes may be filled. So I am sooo confused.

Anyways, to my original questions: do you think my daughter would face discrimination from the faculty/teacher if she took an AP class at the local high school? As it is, the administration is not very friendly to me when I call. I have been using a different school district for testing (PSAT) because they are very friendly and accepting. I would hate my daughter to have her school work discriminated as well!! Maybe I am just being wierd?

Anyone have this happen to them?

pam

Anyways, to my original questions: do you think my daughter would face discrimination from the faculty/teacher if she took an AP class at the local high school? As it is, the administration is not very friendly to me when I call. I have been using a different school district for testing (PSAT) because they are very friendly and accepting. I would hate my daughter to have her school work discriminated as well!! Maybe I am just being wierd?

pam

None of my 4 dc have had any bad testing experiences at the local public school simply because they homeschool. In fact, our local school has been very accommodating. I think you should ask this question locally though, to see how your local public school treats homeschoolers in testing situations. If you hear of bad experiences, you could always pursue some local private schools.

Lisa

do you think my daughter would face discrimination from the faculty/teacher if she took an AP class at the local high school?

pam

I think that your concern that you daughter might face discrimination from the teacher because she homeschools is a valid concern. Even if your daughter were to get a "5" on the AP exam, imo, a low grade in the class would raise a red flag with the college admission folks.

My son needed to take a class at our local high school in order to be able to participate in after-school activities. He was undecided which biology elective he wanted to take, and he requested a meeting with the teacher (she taught both classes) so he could look at the textbook for each class and ask the teacher some questions.

This teacher made multiple derogatory comments to my son about homeschoolers in general and made some insulting comments to my son. On the way home from the meeting my son said that he would rather not participate in the after-school activities than take a class with her.

He ended up taking an AP class at the school with another teacher. At first the teacher was reluctant to let him in the class, not because he was a homeschooler, but because of his age. My son was not involved in this conversation, but it was obvious to me that the teacher did not have any negative feelings about homeschoolers and the class turned out to be a very positive experience for my son.

I would try to have a meeting with the AP teacher if possible. I would not worry about whether the administration has a negative view of homeschoolers, but imo, the teacher's beliefs are important.

Hope that helps a little. Good luck

I would try to have a meeting with the AP teacher if possible. I would not worry about whether the administration has a negative view of homeschoolers, but imo, the teacher's beliefs are important.

:iagree:

Here part time enrollment is perfectly acceptable and many kids take foreign language, science or AP classes from the public schools while continuing to homeschool. I haven't heard of any teacher that was obviously discriminatory, but clearly it could happen. I have certainly met teachers in the area that hold some extremely negative views on homeschooling. Meet the teacher or let your dd meet the teacher and decide if the class would be a good environment. If not, start looking at online and CC options. All are valid opportunities. You just want to pick the one that your dd would get the most out of.

My son's high school is very accepting of homeschoolers and not because they need more students -- the school is overflowing -- but they understand the reasons people choose to homeschool. For example, one of my son's friends at his public high school is a musician and is often on tour; technically he is homeschooled during those extended absences. However, I would be wary of a school where personnel are making derogatory comments.

Pennsylvania Homeschoolers (I think that's the name) offers AP courses online and the instructors sound good. eIMACS offers AP Calc and AP Computer Science. You'd probably have to line up someone to proctor the exam, though.

hi, I just wanted to say "Thanks" to all the helpful posts. The posts have given me some more to think about and has calmed me down a bit. If we decide to go with the school, I will make sure that we meet the teacher first! And I never thought about AP as being all hanging on the 1 testing day. That is an interesting angle and makes me think more about the CC option.

So thanks!

pam

My son's high school is very accepting of homeschoolers and not because they need more students -- the school is overflowing -- but they understand the reasons people choose to homeschool. For example, one of my son's friends at his public high school is a musician and is often on tour; technically he is homeschooled during those extended absences. However, I would be wary of a school where personnel are making derogatory comments.

Pennsylvania Homeschoolers (I think that's the name) offers AP courses online and the instructors sound good. eIMACS offers AP Calc and AP Computer Science. You'd probably have to line up someone to proctor the exam, though.

My son's high school is very accepting of homeschoolers and not because they need more students -- the school is overflowing -- but they understand the reasons people choose to homeschool.1.jpg28.jpg3.jpg5.jpg4.jpg29.jpg

Reported Heidi572. She's copying others' posts and reposting them as her own in multiple threads.

Don't feed the trolls!

In our district 34 AP exams were given and only 7 got a 3 or higher!!!!!!

Yikes, and I thought the results at my public school were bad!

SH45 has made an excellent point that your should check into the actual AP results for your school. If your school doesn't publish its AP exam results (mine doesn't), you can request a copy of The College Board Summary Report from your school's guidance counselor. This report will provide you with a score breakdown of how the students performed in your high school on each AP exam.