Menu

Thinkwell Math question

DragonFaerie

DS has just started Thinkwell Math grade 6, and it's going great so far. We just switched from TT (which was also working well; I just wanted to try something different). DS really likes it, too. My concern is this: Thinkwell doesn't have very many practice problems for each lesson. I'm used to TT, which has 22 problems for each lesson. Thinkwell only has 9. They do have a printable worksheet for each lesson, too. However, that seems unnecessary when DS is getting 100 on the nine online problems. Right now I've told him he doesn't have to do the written worksheet so long as he doesn't miss more than one of the online problems. So here's my question. Do you think Thinkwell has enough practice online if DS does well, or should I be having him print and complete the worksheet regardless of how well he does online? He's a very mathy kid and is doing 6th grade math in 4th grade, if that makes any difference.

Thanks. He says he likes Thinkwell better because it has fewer problems. LOL.. I'm not so sure, but I guess we'll see how it goes. I like that is has practice tests before the chapter tests. I think if he doesn't do well on the practice test, I can go back and print the worksheets for him to work on before having him to the chapter test.

• 3 years later...

Thinkwell was great for my ds12.  It seemed to have just the right amount of teaching and practice for him to get it, then make sure he had it.  Occasionally if he needed more practice, I printed out additional practice problems from other sources, but overall, he had a good year with Thinkwell.  This past year we did Algebra 1 but I taught him from a text.  In hindsight, I really should have had him do Thinkwell Alg 1 because he was bored silly and saw no point to anything I taught him from a boring dry text.

Another poster, in the past few days,  referenced Holt textbooks site go.hw.com.  There is a "HOMEWORK HELP" section.  Additional hw problems x-referenced to the video class. This takes away the concern I am having with the amount of practice problems with TW.  .   

You might consider adding in a math resource from Critical Thinking Company. Since your son is getting the concepts so easily in the beginning section, he might enjoy being challenged by something mathy - but a little bit different. I'm sure later in the year, he might have to work a little harder than right now at the beginning review stages of the course. The Critical Thinking Co. has some products called Math Analogies, Math Balance, Math Detective...... Another company has one called Math Perplexors or something similar. He might enjoy working on problem solving skills in a fun setting. Then he can use the math he is learning in Thinkwell. Don't you like the Thinkwell professor? My family thinks he is really fun :)

http://www.criticalthinking.com/catalogsearch/advanced/result/?subject%5B%5D=121&product_type%5B%5D=all